In Search of Hemingway's Meadow by Jeff Day

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Arctic-Grayling
Guide

In Search of Hemingway's Meadow by Jeff Day

Post by Arctic-Grayling »

I like to read, but I only like books made of real print on paper, hardback or paperback is fine. I have tried to like reading my wife's B&N NOOK, will never be able to warm up to that or the Kindle. So, does anyone know of a way to read Jeff Day's book IN SEARCH OF HEMINGWAY'S MEADOW? Without buying a KINDLE
Ya, I know that I am just being a old cranky man, set in my ways. I do love to read a good book without needing it to be plugged in or to charge it. Screen time tires my old eyes to the point of just nodding off instead of reading. Some of the places I go recharging is not something I want to mess with. On long trips, I take a handful of paperbacks that once I have finished them they get left behind for someone else to enjoy, at the same time lightening my pack.

dave potts
Guide

Re: In Search of Hemingway's Meadow by Jeff Day

Post by dave potts »

Well, you don't have to actually buy a Kindle. You can download the kindle app to your computer and store the books on your computer. Of course you are still reading them on line but with the computers much larger screen it's easier on the eyes. Just a thought. For travel, I'd get an ipad and download the kindle app onto it. The ipad has a larger screen and you can do a lot more on it then on a Kindle.

Mike N
Master Guide

Post by Mike N »

I’m in my mid-60’s and have over 2500 hard bound books in my home library. I have read each volume. I never thought I would be an iPad/Nook guy, but as my eyes grow less cooperative, the bright background light on my iPad lets me read for many more hours than with an incandescent background light. It’s that simple.
Mike N.
Founder, Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)
Member, NFLCC & FATC
Vintage Orvis collector

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Hello Mike N. I thought I had a lot of books, maybe 1K still on the shelves, all read except a handful, which I was saving for my old age, which is speeding on now. Plus, I've read a couple of thousand more during too much college, and through sales. When I sold my English translations of Russian works the # was 83, all to a collector / dealer.

I'm a bit of an odd reader, I learned to read way back when I was a kid in the Nebraska sandhills on a farm / ranch. We had no TV until I was 13. No telephone because there was no line. Basically no night time radio aside from OKC.

Reading, and wandering onto the night of snowy prairie was the way into the world for a 10 year old, the earliest I remember looking for books. Then, college, and 5.5 years in the USMC when TV was mainly what I can't remember except for the moon landing late one July night and football. I read Tolkien on a military passenger freight to SE Asia. The ring helped pass the first 13 hours. The rest of that time sped by.

Maybe there are still a few of us still around who really appreciate books, in print, for what they are, and certainly were. Like you, I have a hard time reading on a tablet, but can, on a 20" computer screen, but find it not as satisfying as turning a page before a small fire.

As far as Hemingway, during the military days, and the days as a pump company road warrior, I studied Hemingway. I didn't realize it, but I was a recognized non-academic "expert" on H. in the days of letters, the days before email. Yes, I also learned to write letters, my most notable was a return note from Charles Scribner Jr. for a missing footnote in a book on Hemingway.

When I decided I was done with him I called 3 dealers, one of whom worked for a big time collector. Those boxes were gone, and after a couple of weeks, I got a message back that said in effect, "you don't know what you sold." If you want it back OK.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to look into "Meadow." Sorry for this long nostalgic look into print past. I remembered one photo book on Alaska that I read repeatedly in a very small {all 12 grades in one building} in north central Nebraska. I remembered it greatly, and a few years ago looked up a copy. It was a "basic" book, very disappointing. I've made a couple of trips to the frozen north. Joe here

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I took my original reply down, but I too do not enjoy reading books on an LCD screen be it a tablet or a 26" monitor. I enjoy books -- I like holding them, turning their pages, and smelling them, putting mylar on their tattered dust jackets. I'm old school in every regard...only problem is that I ran out of shelf space a long time ago...

That said, I exhausted google searches for the title and can only find electronic copies. Even AbeBooks, the last bastion of out of print publications didn't have it. Perhaps there's a dusty old bookstore with an online presence that might have a copy...I'll keep looking.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I read a lot on my 27 inch monitor, and on my phone, but, when it gets serious, I ‘LL. Take a real book.

My fly fishing library is around 1000 volumes.

The hunting, gun and bird dog books add several hundred more..

Return to “Book Talk”