Is it "cinch" or "clinch" knot

This is an area for discussing history, general information, current pricing trends etc. As with all the forums we won't allow any ongoing auction or sales discussions. This is more for items which sold and are interesting to the forum members.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

eapling
Guide

Is it "cinch" or "clinch" knot

Post by eapling »

These names get used interchangeably, sometimes in the same sentence. Does anyone have documentation of which is the original.?

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Is it "cinch" or "clinch" knot

Post by Eric Peper »

I've never heard it called anything but "clinch."
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

eapling wrote:
05/17/21 22:18
These names get used interchangeably, sometimes in the same sentence. Does anyone have documentation of which is the original.?
I wonder if you watched the same video that I recently watched about nymphing leader construction? ???
:D
Mike B
PS: "clinch"

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

It has always been the clinch knot, although for decades some of us may have been tying the "improved clinch knot."
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

It's always been clinch knot as far as I know. If you ride you better make sure to cinch up your saddle tight so you don't fall off.

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

I started tying it in the fifties, it was the only knot for mono then, it was called a cinch knot (the original name). First bread about in in Field and Stream.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Clinch knot is the original.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Post by Cross Creek »

It’s been “clinch” in every reference I remember for the past 60 years, but bassman’s reference to riding is likely key to how it started being referred to as a “cinch” knot, although it’s not a knot I’ve ever seen used for either horse tack or sailing—Knots used in those pursuits need to be able to both hold securely and be easily undone when wet/sweaty. The clinch doesn’t meet those criteria.

BigPine
Sport

Post by BigPine »

Another vote for "Clinch" knot. The way I understand it, the Improved Clinch knot runs the tag end through the loop after going thru the twist closest to the hook. The Clinch knot just goes thru the twist closest to the hook eye then pulls tight. Most of us tie the Improved Clinch.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Typo says Chinch here - to the far left of the O in this here Orvis scarf.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Clinch.

Return to “General discussion”