The other white meat...

As the name implies this is the Cooks Kitchen. A place to share your favorite recipes, preparations and secrets of how you cook, be it in the kitchen, the tailgate of your truck, shore lunch or campfire.

Moderators: Titelines, Ken M 44

lloyd3
Master Guide

The other white meat...

Post by lloyd3 »

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Re: The other white meat...

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Hard to beat walleye - I do miss having fried walleye from friday evening fish fry.

dave potts
Guide

Post by dave potts »

Yep, a very tasty fish. Not quite up there with crappie but still tasty.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Pretty hard to beat.

Arctic-Grayling
Guide

Post by Arctic-Grayling »

"Land O' Goshen!" as my Grandmother would have said. What have you done to that fish? Looks to me like you were eating some Vegetarian's idea of a fish dinner. Whenever I get back to Walleye Country, I eat it the way my mother served it. Beer batter breaded & fried, on a bed of real wild rice (not that paddy crap from California), a salad and wild blueberry pie, with home churned vanilla ice cream. Each to his own, of course, I'm sure yours was good, but not what I think of when I see a walleye.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

We still do the pan-fried thing with some frequency, but as I am intolerant of wheat anymore, fried things are no-longer common in my diet (substituting with a gluten-free flour allows for that). But a few slivered onions and peppers is how I remember this dish fondly (in those days the peppers were all green). Pared with a good white wine and a strawberry-rhubarb pie (with a GF crust), this was a darn nice evening. To each his own, clearly. I am a big fan of wild rice however, and usually serve it with game (commonly ruffed grouse). Your blueberry pie sounds darn good BTW.
Last edited by lloyd3 on 06/02/21 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

That bean/pea pickled salad is spot on as a side with walleye - prep your own way on the fish. I'm a lightly floured gently sauteed in garlic butter guy, and mashed/smashed taters.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I'd happily sit at your table and bring the wine myself! I live close to Oneida Lake here in central NY and we'd shore wade in the fall and cast Rapalas and fill the freezer with filets from the end of September till the ice "crinkles" started to form in late November. Summer had us drifting Dixie Spinners with a crawler and we ate well.
Zebra Mussels and Round Gobies have really changed the complexion of the lake. I no longer fish walleye but seeing this tempts me to return to it!

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Living 20 years in northern MN meant a very big part of our diet was fish. Walleye was a mainstay of course and hard to beat but didn't hurt to have a good mixture in there of brookies, bluegills, crappie, coho and king salmon, steelhead and lake trout. With that and wild meat such a big part of our dietary intake it might explain our low cholestrol, good BP, and slow and steady heartrate. Moving away and losing that diet might be a big reason why all those good health readings have slipped badly with farm raised fish and red hormone injected meat and fowl.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

One of the best tasting fish that comes out of fresh water. The only other one that's in the same ball park is a fresh caught wild Brookie cooked stream-side with butter, salt and pepper.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

My freezer is happy at the moment, so wild game is a staple here. I tend to focus on the things that make for the best table fare (Elk, grouse, and walleye) but I also have a few pheasant, ducks, and a mule deer in there too. I'd like to think that the diet (along with the effort to secure it) makes for a healthier lifestyle. Fresh brook trout, prepared streamside sounds pretty good as well. Been a few years since I've had that one.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Grew up in western NY and back then, over there, we called walleye, yellow pike. Many Fridays the family would head out for the fish fry at the local restaurant for some yellow pike. Yum. But then again, a brook trout shore lunch is awesome too.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

Beer battered and fried with French fries and cold beer is the only way.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Well...I'm back up here. Might have to give that one a try. Need GF beer of course...

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Probably would make a nice ceviche also, if you know whether the raw meat is 'safe' (i.e. no history of parasite contaminations in the waters where it was caught)

Return to “The Cooks Kitchen”