Recommend a reel to match a 7ft Sharpes cane?

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Snufkin

Recommend a reel to match a 7ft Sharpes cane?

Post by Snufkin »

What make and model of reel would anyone recommend for a Sharpes 7ft #5 cane fly rod? I don't want to spend silly money, but it must be capable of LHW, well made, not shabby, and have the right look for the rod. I already have a Hardy 'Marquis' #6, which is too big. I wondered about a smaller 'Marquis', but it's hard to know which size without trying it on the rod. Or a JW Young's 'Beaudex' - but again, which size?

Bud
Master Guide

Re: Recommend a reel to match a 7ft Sharpes cane?

Post by Bud »

Beaudex 31/8 would be nice. But not readily convertible to LHW. There’s a guy over on the glass board who can do it. I have a couple if you’re interested.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

I would recommend any classic looking reel with a diameter of 3" to 3 3/8". I favor the Hardys, like the perfect or lightweight series.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

What Sharpes model cane rod do you have? I would recommend a vintage English or Scottish reel to pair with your rod. I agree with the size recommendations previously suggested. A Hardy, Dingley, Malloch, Young, or Reuben Heaton reel would all fit and balance nicely.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

Sash
Guide

Post by Sash »

I acquired a 6'10" Farlows "Elf", also a 5-weight.
And the reel it came with is an LRH Lightweight, which look great, and can comfortably take a DT5F.
I also use the rod with a 3 1/8" Perfect: a bit heavier, so brings the balance point back from the front of the grip to an inch or more further back.
But that is a slightly more expensive reel, especially in LHS.
I dont know the modern Marquis as well, but suspect you would want at least the 5, and possibly 6, both for balance and line capacity.

Jdcross
Sport

Post by Jdcross »

I read this article on the Speyco website
http://flyrodbalancing.blogspot.com/
Then I determined the reel backing and line weight to balance my two Sharpes rods (an 8' #5 and a 9' #6)
Once that was done I weighed my smaller reels and was able to match the rods and reels.

I don't know why you think a Marquis #6 is too large.
I think it would be about right.

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

Snufkin, there’s an old rule of thumb that proposes that for balance a fly reel should weigh about 50% more than the rod it will be used on. That’s a reasonable starting point.

I don’t know your location and thus what reels might be easily available to you. But consider matching a reel from the rod maker. Sharpe made a lot of excellent reels, including those badged for Farlow and Milwards when they were all part of the same group of companies. These ranged from the basic Gordon to the Lee Wulff Ultimate. Apart from the Ultimate, it isn’t hard to find good and affordable examples in the U.K.

Young reels should be a good option (and a Pridex will serve you as well as a Beaudex, as the latter’s adjustable drag isn’t going to do much for you) but there is a confounding paradox with them: the earlier reels were RHW and the later reels, which are convertible, have an odd foot which doesn’t work with the reel seats of many rods.

kimk
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kimk »

A Marquis #5 is just the right size for your rod. Holds a dt #5 with little or no backing and a WF with just a bit of backing.
One caution -- If you buy a Marquis or similar Hardy reel ( light weights) which is set up for RHW and you want to reverse the line guide -- the screws which hold the line guide are soft and the heads tend to tear apart when you try to remove them. I would recommend -- lots of Kroil over days if not weeks, heat from a soldering pencil applied with the Kroil along with some gentle taping -- the heat and the taping will improve the penetration of the Kroil. Also a perfectly sized gunsmith screwdriver is a must. Don't try to "biff" it. If it does not turn out easily continue with more Kroil.
Easier to just buy one currently set up for LHW which should be fairly common.

AgMD

AgMD

Snufkin

Post by Snufkin »

Doh, I forgot to turn on the notifications! All these replies are very much appreciated. Lots to think about there.

Snufkin

Post by Snufkin »

Mahseer wrote:
05/27/21 17:21
Snufkin, there’s an old rule of thumb that proposes that for balance a fly reel should weigh about 50% more than the rod it will be used on. That’s a reasonable starting point.

I don’t know your location and thus what reels might be easily available to you. But consider matching a reel from the rod maker. Sharpe made a lot of excellent reels, including those badged for Farlow and Milwards when they were all part of the same group of companies. These ranged from the basic Gordon to the Lee Wulff Ultimate. Apart from the Ultimate, it isn’t hard to find good and affordable examples in the U.K.

Young reels should be a good option (and a Pridex will serve you as well as a Beaudex, as the latter’s adjustable drag isn’t going to do much for you) but there is a confounding paradox with them: the earlier reels were RHW and the later reels, which are convertible, have an odd foot which doesn’t work with the reel seats of many rods.
Masher, that is very helpful, thanks. Do I weigh the reel with the line on, or without?

I hadn't thought to research Sharpe's own reels, so I will do that first. I am in the UK.

I am attracted to JW Young fly reels in any case. Do you happen to know whether the reel seats are interchangeable? If I bought a later, convertible reel in really good condition, plus an earlier 'beater' for its seat, could I swap the seats over?

Best,

Jonathan

Snufkin

Post by Snufkin »

kimk wrote:
05/27/21 18:19
A Marquis #5 is just the right size for your rod. Holds a dt #5 with little or no backing and a WF with just a bit of backing.
One caution -- If you buy a Marquis or similar Hardy reel ( light weights) which is set up for RHW and you want to reverse the line guide -- the screws which hold the line guide are soft and the heads tend to tear apart when you try to remove them. I would recommend -- lots of Kroil over days if not weeks, heat from a soldering pencil applied with the Kroil along with some gentle taping -- the heat and the taping will improve the penetration of the Kroil. Also a perfectly sized gunsmith screwdriver is a must. Don't try to "biff" it. If it does not turn out easily continue with more Kroil.
Easier to just buy one currently set up for LHW which should be fairly common.

AgMD

AgMD
Thanks for this advice, carefully noted! Unfortunately I seem to be in competition with half the world when a nice Marquis#5 is auctioned! You'd think the fishing population would be satiated by now.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have a 7' Sharpes Featherweight and fish a Hardy LRH with it. If you want to stay with as DT line, a shorter than standard DT5 like the 406 lines (80') will allow a little backing. That is one heck of a nice line too! LRH's are easier to find I think, classic, and reversible other than the models with the riveted line guard.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

I don’t think weighing the reel with the line and backing on is important - you’ll have a third or more of the line off the reel when you’re casting, effectively adding that modest weight to that of the rod in the balance equation.

My understanding is that the reel feet on Condex, Pridex and Beaudex reels are all interchangeable, whether pre 1962 (all RHW) or later, so getting an early beater for its foot should work. But try a later Pridex or Beaudex first, it may work on your reel seat. Then there’s the funky Valdex....

I have a few Sharpe rods and a few later Young reels that have not been introduced to date. I’ll try matching them up over the weekend and let you know what I find.

Sharpe and Farlow badged reels should all fit. Look at the Gordon, Cobra and Sapphire, or the more recent Trout. But I wouldn’t argue that they are any better than Young or Hardy reels.

Finally, a hack that surprisingly few people use: If capacity is an issue on an otherwise fine rod/reel match, cut a DT line in half. That will give you enough line on the reel for anything you are likely to do with a 7 foot rod, allows for some backing, and you are effectively getting two lines for the price of one.
Last edited by Mahseer on 05/28/21 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

Jdcross
Sport

Post by Jdcross »

On the topic of Young reels and Sharpes rods.
I have a Valdex wide, a Pridex wide lightweight and a 3 1/2" 16A.
All fit my 8' #5 and 9' # 6 Scottie rods.
My 3 5/8 Perfect also fits both

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

Jonathan, looks like your rod has a cap and ring reel seat, so the Young reels should all fit. I'd be looking for a reel in the 5 to 6 oz range, as far as weight goes.

Jdcross has a better experience than mine in pairing Young Reels with Sharpe rods. Today I tried 4 post 1962 Young reels (2 x Pridex, a Beaudex and a Valdex) with 3 Sharpe rods (2 with down locking screw reel seats and a cap and ring). They all rocked a little on the down locking screw reel seats but were fine on the cap and ring.

The options for vintage Farlow/Sharpe reels are in the following images. The Sapphire is generally considered the most desirable, though maybe a tad on the light side.

Whatever you get, you should enjoy it.

Bud
Master Guide

Post by Bud »

Young Beaudex

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

I have a black 3" Beaudex with the atrocious foot, as in Bud's post above, and it balances 8' cane nicely. It's a solid reel and too heavy for shorter rods, in my opinion.

Chip W

Post by Chip W »

I have a 3" Beaudex on my 7' Sharpes 3/4 and love it, but the stock foot was completely unworkable with the cap-and-ring seat. I had a replacement put on by OnePfoot, which is very nice. I'm not sure if they're still doing Young seats though - you'd need to drop them a line and check. I have successfully swapped feet on a lightweight Pridex, but apparently there's some variability and it may not work in every case. Definitely worth a shot though, and the older Young foot is a great design. It may take a while to find a 3" junker though, and I doubt seats from other sizes will fit (maybe someone else has tried it and can say). My rig balances beautifully, so I think you'd be happy with that approach if you can figure out a way to make the foot/seat interface work. Good luck!

Snufkin

Post by Snufkin »

Update. I've acquired a grey 3" Pridex in fair condition, and I rather like it. The reel seat is a bit agricultural, but it is OK on the rod. It weighs exactly 5oz without the line, and feels about right on this 7ft rod. To my surprise it has two springs (I had read that only the Beaudex was convertible?) so it is now LHW without the need to drill holes. It's a little bit shabby, but I'll stick with it unless or until a perfect black one turns up.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I have taken on board the suggestion of Sharpe's own reels, and am keeping my eyes open for a nice one.

Yorshire lad

Post by Yorshire lad »

I find with my 7' cane rod it balances best with a Hardy Cascapedia 4/5 at 6oz
with a little backing and a 406 DT line, it then tops out at 8.25 oz

Return to “Classic Reels”