Turkey Buzzards

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Turkey Buzzards

Post by WiFlyFisher »

While hiking and wildlife touring in Custer State Park we woke up in the early morning at our campsite along Sheridan Lake to have a tree full of 38 turkey buzzards sunning themselves in a tree about 25 yards from our tent. I guess our campsite was by their favorite roosting tree.

John

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Turkey Buzzards

Post by jhuskey »

Wow that is creepy. How OLD are you John??? ;D

Best,

John

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

jhuskey wrote:
05/27/21 17:14
Wow that is creepy. How OLD are you John??? ;D

Best,

John
I have been 39 for so many years i can't remember anymore. :)

Everyone I showed the photos to thought it was creepy. Our daughter who was with me and is in veterinary lab research thought it was awesome.

Reminded me of the Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds".

ttroutt
Guide

Post by ttroutt »

I wouldn't stand still for too long around those things. :rollin

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Funny I was there three weeks ago and we saw a similar sight at another campground. Must be a lot of older folks camping in the black hills these days.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

snorider wrote:
05/27/21 17:33
Funny I was there three weeks ago and we saw a similar sight at another campground. Must be a lot of older folks camping in the black hills these days.
Michael, we also saw a big group of turkey buzzards in a tree up in Theodore Roosevelt National Park as we were leaving the campground.

Yes, there we tons of older people in RVs sightseeing, but few hiking for miles like this older guy. Thank goodness for some awesome knee pads and REI hiking poles to get me up and down the Black Hills. We did Black Elk Mountain, Little Devil's Tower and Cathedral Spires all in 5 hours. By the end my a$$ was dragging - approximately 7.5 miles. My daughter asked me "Now what do you want to do?" :lol

We camped one night south of Spearfish along the creek. Near dusk a great midge spinner fall had rainbow trout splashing and jumping and no fishermen or others around. The Black Hills are beautiful and fun to hike in.

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

Turkey Vultures - - natures clean up crew!

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

reelytrout wrote:
05/27/21 18:00
Turkey Vultures - - natures clean up crew!
Yes, absolutely with no more bears or wolves, just mountain lions and scavengers to do the clean up. We saw a couple of devoured bison to the bare bone.

We hiked the 10.3 mile petrified forest trail in the hot sun in T. Roosevelt National Park, as we neared the end I looked up and saw three turkey vultures overhead. I thought to myself, sorry you ain't getting me for your meal today.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

I agree with “awesome.”

The word “buzzard” has been appropriated in the U.S. to refer to vultures, but in Europe the Common Buzzard, the Honey Buzzard, and others are hawks of the genus Buteo and closely related genera, like our Red=tailed Hawk, Swainson’s Hawk, etc.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

I wish I had a digestive tract like theirs. Maybe I could actually enjoy those trips to Mexico, and not have to allow my trigger happy wife to throw out those leftovers so soon.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

I believe they are the State Bird of Texas . . . based on what I see in my neighborhood
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

John,
That sounds like a great hike, we had planned to hike to the little devils tower after Harney Peak but ended up getting snowed out. I got about 15 seconds of viewing from the top of the lookout and then it was a blizzard. Sharing the same last name as the infamous Indian fighter I will not give up our family peak's name that easily. I have spent many days in Custer state park climbing the amazing rock spires (cathedral ten pins etc) and the unsullied side of Mt Rushmore. I have hiked Harney peak probably 10 times over the years, kind of sad to see the name change but history is not kind to overly efficient generals like W.S. Harney.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

"I'm not dead yet"...
;)
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

WiFlyFisher
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by WiFlyFisher »

Michael,

The view from the top is absolutely awesome.

Actually all the hike up and down is stunning. Camera photos do not do it justice.

I thought the hike up to Little Devils Tower was a piece a cake until we got real near the end.

John

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Reminds me of the movie Finding Nemo and the Seagulls and crab scene...

Mine, mine....mine, mine, mine....mine...... :rollin

That one on the branch is thinking, "I''ll start with his nose and then..."

My boys laughed so hard at this scene:
https://youtu.be/wjrwS2BXc-w

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

We have flocks of them here in Central NY State and frequently have them circling overhead and with a seriously healthy Whitetail population they find plenty of forage from road kills. Not a stately bird appearance wise, they are graceful in the air.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Every March they return to Hinkley Ohio about the same time the swallows return to Mission San Juan Capistrano. Coincidence? I think not.

https://www.ohiotraveler.com/hinckley-h ... e-buzzard/

http://www.missionsjc.com/about/swallows-legend/

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

That reminds me. I really should phone my Mother-in-Law.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

They look so graceful and beautiful in the air and so hideously ugly when they land. Lots of them around western OK also.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Bill Charles wrote:
06/02/21 08:55
That reminds me. I really should phone my Mother-in-Law.
:D

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”