Salmonfly

Use this forum to show off your talents, like photos, drawings, paintings, woodworking, rod making or any other artistic bent you have. Enjoy :)

Moderator: Titelines

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Salmonfly

Post by teter »

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Salmonfly

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Cool photo Lon. I've yet to see one in my area streams although there aer supposed to be a few local streams that support these insects and I believe that I once found the nymph stage under a rock.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Holy Toledo - that thing is ginormous!

So many questions...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Bamboo Don
Guide

Post by Bamboo Don »

That's nice, I have seen them flying but never up close like that

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

The best Salmonfly hatch in Montana is without a doubt on Rock Creek outside of Missoula. In and around the second week of June each year it's ANGLING MAYHEM!!! I've seen them so heavy that It looked as though there were apple size clumps of them hanging from the willows. The trout are so stuffed you can feel the exoskeletons sticking out of their skin from within. They are puking up nymphs while taking your fly. It's complete nutz! Complete gluttony. I remember seeing a robin so stuffed that it couldn't get off the ground to fly. It's something every angler worth their salt should experience. Those bugs are a wonder to behold. The only issue is that there are so many anglers and boats on the water at that time that it's better to sit along the bank with a beer and watch the MAYHEM than it is to try to fish. :)

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

My personal best salmonfly orgy was last summer, on the Middle Fork of the Salmon. We floated for eight days (wilderness float, 110 mile trip). We had salmonflies every day. It’s good to know, no matter how old you are, you might have your “best trip” ahead of you.

I’ve been running the Middle fork for 43 years.

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

Folks...different species but same idea....golden stones on the East Branch D a number of years ago.

mfrench
Sport

Post by mfrench »

Maybe not Pteronarcys Californica, but, I was recently looking into how our local streams have done in our drought. I went up there with nothing more than my insect seining kit, and, I found this:

I caught two of these within a foot of each other, in slight riffle water. One of them managed to roll off my siene net and back into the creek before I got the camera out.
There are metallic midge larvae, beaded midges, in the seine as well.

The refrigerator was cold, 42º in early October '22, and, well stocked.
A SoCal stonefly.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

The salmon fly hatches on the Metolius and Deschutes in Oregon are very amazing. It is a pleasure to find a few under leaf in the shrubs, unmercifully pick their wings, and from a "bridge," toss them in the river and see the rise, for the tourists to amaze to. "I didn't see a trout down there!"

Return to “Photos, paintings, written stories and talents.”