New Angling books

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

New Angling books

Post by creakycane »

Anyone stumble on any sleepers that would be recommended? Thanks!

Boo
Master Guide

Re: New Angling books

Post by Boo »

The Unreasonable Virtue of Fly Fishing by Mark Kurlansky. He also wrote Salmon which I would recommend.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Home Waters by John Maclean
A Fly Rod With a Soul: The Bamboo Fishing Rods and Life of E.C. Powell by Per Brandin
The Zen of Home Water by Jerry Hamza
Mostly Bamboo by Yuki Bando
The Optimist: A Case for the Fly Fishing Life by David Coggins

+1 (so far as I'm about halfway through) for The Unreasonable Virtue of Fly Fishing

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

For the spiritual amongst us I'd recommend "Graced by Waters" by Dietsch (he did the stunt scenes for Brad Pitt in "the movie"). Caveat - It is heavily religious and mystically slanted though if you're not into that you really won't like the book.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Sleepers? Well, some sleep for a good reason, it seems....

But worth mentioning for its idiosyncratic subject is Robert Streeter's The Greats of Adirondack Fly Fishing (RSO Media, 2020). Streeter is an amateur historian, and the book is as a result far from being a scholarly work--but it has chapters on William Scripture, Jr., Perry Ehlers, and Ed Bendl, and that alone makes it engaging--it provides some context for the history of Adirondack fly fishing. I wish it had a chapter on Nessmuk, that seems like a major lapse--but you can't have everything I guess.

For Nessmuk, his "Woodcraft" is pretty good--as well as The Adirondack Letters of George Washington Sears. Not new or recent, but old enough to be new for some people, lol.

bb

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

The Lightning Thread by David Profumo
Casting Shadows by Tom Fort

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

trland wrote:
06/23/21 16:23
The Zen of Home Water by Jerry Hamza
The Optimist: A Case for the Fly Fishing Life by David Coggins
+1...

read/enjoyed the first... reading/enjoying the 2nd now...

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

bearbutt wrote:
06/25/21 09:48
... But worth mentioning for its idiosyncratic subject is Robert Streeter's The Greats of Adirondack Fly Fishing (RSO Media, 2020). Streeter is an amateur historian, and the book is as a result far from being a scholarly work--but it has chapters on William Scripture, Jr., Perry Ehlers, and Ed Bendl, and that alone makes it engaging--it provides some context for the history of Adirondack fly fishing.
... plus chapters on Lee Wulff, Ray Bergman, and Fran Betters... Adirondack flyfishers all... I believe Mike Valla helped the author on his research of Scripture, who I knew/read little about prior to this, other than in Valla's Tying & Fishing Bucktails...

I thought an interesting read, especially having met--- if only briefly--- a couple of these folks... I thought Bendl desired a plug for all his long-fly creations and so little has been written, is known about Perry Ehlers other than a Hudson River rapids named in his honor, where he once guided and ran a small shop...

Ed

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Not strictly ‘new’ (2015) but I’m enjoying Searching for a Rise by Adrian Latimer at the moment

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

Not to highjack this thread, but hopefully just add to it...

Since Ed Bendl and Perry Ehlers were mentioned by bb, I thought the two photos below might be of mild interest. We used to own an Adirondack camp on Indian Lake, and often as I went zipping up NY 30 to get there, I'd pass Ed Bendl's small fly shop. Fortunately, I eventually had the good sense to stop there on more than one occasion. It was a most interesting shop, full of intriguing items and colorful streamers tied, and often created by Ed Bendl himself. Perhaps of note also, top row, second from the right-hand side is a Chambers, created by Perry Ehlers, who taught Bendl how to tie flies.

And I just had to purchase a copy of Ed Bendl's self-published book, especially when he told me he didn't believe in the Internet.

Ed

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

New to me are The River Home and A Place on the Water by Jerry Dennis that I've read the past couple weeks, this guy can write.

East Branch: Six Years on a Catskill Trout Stream by Mitch Keller that was published last fall was a fabulous read too.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

If you like fly fishing, I don't see how you wouldn't like the book:

Tying Catskill-Style Dry Flies

For the record, I've never fished anywhere near the Catskills. It's a beautiful book chock full of beautiful photography, and the story in the introduction will hook any fly fisherman.

NshTrtBum
Sport

Post by NshTrtBum »

I have to second Home Waters by John Maclean. I purchased his book as a gift for my son who was impressed at an early age by the Maclean family's reverence and respect for fly fishing.

I can't wait to read it I only wish that I had bought two copies.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, 'Don't leave home without it.'

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=68352&p=569588&hil ... es#p569588

Jay Edwards

LeoCreek
Sport

Post by LeoCreek »

GerardH wrote:
07/05/21 12:18
New to me are The River Home and A Place on the Water by Jerry Dennis that I've read the past couple weeks, this guy can write.
Agreed. These 2 books by Jerry Dennis are great reads that are not all that well-known in fly fishing circles. Kind of a shame in my opinion.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

flyty2 wrote:
08/14/21 21:41
If you like fly fishing, I don't see how you wouldn't like the book:

Tying Catskill-Style Dry Flies

For the record, I've never fished anywhere near the Catskills. It's a beautiful book chock full of beautiful photography, and the story in the introduction will hook any fly fisherman.t
Anything on amazon is usually available elsewhere at a much better price.

As much as over 40% in my searches.

WakBush78910

Post by WakBush78910 »

I stumbled on a great book recently that I'd recommend. It's called "Fly Fishing for Trout: A Guide for Beginners," by Richard W. Talleur, and it's the only book I've ever read that made me feel like an expert in less than two hours.

It's really easy to read and digest, but it packs a lot of information into each chapter. The author covers everything from how to choose a fishing rod and reel to what kind of bait to use when angling for trout. I also like the books on this list, best fishing books of al time: https://trizily.com/best-fishing-books/

I've been fishing since I was 8 years old, so I thought I knew pretty much everything there was to know about angling for trout. But this book taught me some things that even surprised me!

The author also includes some very helpful tips on how to catch more fish than usual during your trips—and he shares his secrets on where the best places are for finding these types of fish (which are usually near streams).

If you're looking for a good book about angling for trout, then this one should definitely be on your shelf!

Gunnison_Country
Sport

Post by Gunnison_Country »

I'm pretty partial to a fly fishing guidebook titled Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country. It's not new...been out since 2016 and sold a ton of copies. But if you have any desire to fly fish in what I think is the best watershed in the Centennial State, without a close 2nd (heck, maybe the Rio Grande watershed is a close 2nd), this is a book that will help you make the most of your available angling time and learn a ton of stuff that you can apply to any trout water that you fish anywhere on Earth. But then again, I might be biased.
Author of "Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country."
The Fly Fisher's Guide to the Rivers, Streams, and High Lakes of the Gunnison Basin
https://www.gunnisonflyfish.com

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

Boo wrote:
06/23/21 10:56
The Unreasonable Virtue of Fly Fishing by Mark Kurlansky. He also wrote Salmon which I would recommend.
Nothing special, so far.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

The Catch - Mark Wormald
Haunted by Waters - Daire Whelan
How to Read Water - Tristan Gooley
The Quiet Moon - Kevin Parr (not fishing, but an interesting read for anyone who loves the countryside)

Return to “Book Talk”