Looking for information about an 1800s rod

History of the Orvis Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Orvis Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

pkarns

Looking for information about an 1800s rod

Post by pkarns »

This rod belonged to my grandfather, but we know little about its exact age. It is listed with the 1882 patent and numbered 165. I'm curious about value but more curious to know its age and more information in general. TIA!

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: Looking for information about an 1800s rod

Post by kevinhaney1 »

It is a very nice Orvis Lancewood Rod, circa 1890, with the 1882 Eggleston spring locking patented real seat. I have one just like it although not in as good a condition. A very nice old wood rod. There’s someone on the forum, who will probably chime in, that could look up the original records by the serial number and probably tell you by who and when it was bought. Mine is serial number 296 and I got it a couple of years ago for somewhere under $200.

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

pkarns

Post by pkarns »

Thanks! It was likely either my great- or great-great-grandfather who purchased it and then gave it to him in the early teens.
kevinhaney1 wrote:
07/16/21 10:42
It is a very nice Orvis Lancewood Rod, circa 1890, with the 1882 Eggleston spring locking patented real seat. I have one just like it although not in as good a condition. A very nice old wood rod. There’s someone on the forum, who will probably chime in, that could look up the original records by the serial number and probably tell you by who and when it was bought. Mine is serial number 296 and I got it a couple of years ago for somewhere under $200.

Kevin

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Kevin, thanks for the heads up.

The rod was completed in Feb 1889 for a Mr Thos Bewire/Beurise/Bennie - "One no 10 rod Sumac Butt no 162 Feb 19 1889"

This No 10 was cataloged by the CF Orvis Rod Manuf as a " All lance-wood fly rod - length 11 feet. German silver patent reel seat two tips sack and round wood case, with wound, Sumac or Fluted hand-pieces "

It looks to be in nice original condition with the original bag and wood tube. At auction it would probably get about $250. A collector that needed a model 10 would go higher.

Thanks for the good pictures.

pkarns

Post by pkarns »

Thanks! This is actually #165, not #162. It's 9'10".
roycestearns wrote:
07/16/21 20:07
Kevin, thanks for the heads up.

The rod was completed in Feb 1889 for a Mr Thos Bewire/Beurise/Bennie - "One no 10 rod Sumac Butt no 162 Feb 19 1889"

This No 10 was cataloged by the CF Orvis Rod Manuf as a " All lance-wood fly rod - length 11 feet. German silver patent reel seat two tips sack and round wood case, with wound, Sumac or Fluted hand-pieces "

It looks to be in nice original condition with the original bag and wood tube. At auction it would probably get about $250. A collector that needed a model 10 would go higher.

Thanks for the good pictures.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Sorry, I'm not sure where I confused the sn.

The serial number should be on the mids and tips near the male ferrules, and on the butt near the female ferrule. The picture of all the pieces together, is not clear but the size would indicate that the rod has been broken and repaired. That would explain the length discrepancy.

A no 11 was cataloged in the 1890's as "All lance wood fly rod length 10 feet. German silver mountings. patent reel-seat. two tips sack and round wood case, finished same as no 10 rod.Sumac " The same as a no 10 except 10ft instead of 11ft and apparently with only the Sumac grip as an option.

A no 11 was given the sn 165 as new in May 1895. The buyer's name is not documented

pkarns

Post by pkarns »

I'll take a look at the markings again when I get home. The dates would make sense for a purchase by (or for) my grandfather's uncle. Any indication of where it would have been sold?

By the way, I really appreciate the information. This is not only giving me information about the rod but filling in some blanks in family history.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

In the 1890's Orvis had one store front and one rod manuf building in Manchester VT. The store was on main street next door to the Equinox Inn, which was run by his much more successful brother Franklin. Charles' daughter Mary managed the fly tying upstairs and Charles sold anything he could downstairs including bicycles, tennis rackets, shotguns, and of course fishing tackle. The rods were built a block away on Union street. Eventually the store front and rod manuf shop be came one and the Union street building contained everything. Since Manchester was an early tourism/outdoor recreation town many sales and repairs were walk-up. Charles developed a pretty good catalog sales business and many of the his rods were shipped off in the round wooden tube.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

So the Orvis #10 rod was 11 feet and the #11 rod was 10 feet? That Charlie O had a real sense of humor, didn't he?

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

So the Orvis #10 rod was 11 feet and the #11 rod was 10 feet? That Charlie O had a real sense of humor, didn't he?

The bamboo models were no. 9, no. 9 1/2 and no. 16
no. 9 was 11 ft
no. 9 1/2 was 10 ft
no. 16 was the ladies rod at 9 ft

Of course they would cut down the no 9 to 10 ft and still call it a no. 9 ?

::)

Return to “Orvis Co. Rods”