Hardy reel decisions

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

Fyshhead

Hardy reel decisions

Post by Fyshhead »

Hey everyone, new here posting ! I have a featherweight for my 1710 TXL, now I’m looking for a reel for my 4710 TXL built by Gary at Anderson Custom Rods. I have the option of putting the featherweight on the 4wt and purchasing a Marquis 2/3 or flyweight for the 1wt or just keep the featherweight on the 1wt and buy a Marquis#5 for the 4wt. What’s your thoughts what would match the best. Both of these rods will have sage double quiet tapers.

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardy reel decisions

Post by PT48 »

In my experience the line coils too much on a Marquis 2/3 reel. And, seeing this is a bamboo forum, you might wish to seek an opinion elsewhere.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

I would put a JLH #5 or an Abel TR 2/3 on that TXL 7’10” #4; a Marquis LWT #5 would work too but may be a bit heavier
Last edited by JabaliHunter on 07/17/21 15:29, edited 2 times in total.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Welcome to Clark's. The Marquis 5 LWT. More backing, larger coils. They are hard to find. I checked 8 fly shops before I found one. That was their last one. They do still have a size 4 in stock (I may but that one) which would work too but the 5 would give you more room especially with DT line.
Last edited by PYochim on 07/17/21 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

An LRH will hold enough backing if you need it with a DT4, and it is very light. Don't know if you fish the light rods for larger trout where they have room to run but I used to. I have a 7'10" 2 weight TXL that I fished on the West Branch Delaware with browns that took me into the backing. That rod wore a Galvan OB-1 reel. The Hardy's are a nice match for light rods.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Fyshhead

Post by Fyshhead »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have a LRH I use on my Winston IM6 8’6 3wt, epic combo! I found an old model Marquis #5 that I think I’m going to pick up for the TXL, if it’s to heavy I will swap it out with the LRH. The Marquis may balance well on the 8’6 Winston better.
Thanks again!!

sovereign
Master Guide

Post by sovereign »

The Hardy Marqués is a nice durable classic fly reel but I think its a bit ”raw”. Go for a Hardy Golden Sovereign in the smallest size 3/4/5. It taket a # 4 line with suffient backning. Weight 128 gr. I think its the best classic fly reel Hardy ever made! Top of the line 1991-1997. Very expensive to purchase bach then, now a lot of value for money if you can find one! Good hunting!
Hardy got it really right with this reel model. L or R hand wind, change in a split second, silent or click check that too change in no time. A super great and sencitive break. Ballbearings that makes the reel work so light and you get your slack line on the spool so quick and easy, just hit the spool-edge with a finger and the spool start to turn. It can´nt be much better ! no minus ? I think that Hardy has been a bit optimistic when classing the Golden Sovereign reels, the 3/4/5 is great up to a line #4, the next 5/6/7 # 5 and the 7/8 a line # 6 with backing.

bprof
Guide

Post by bprof »

Marquis 5 or Scientific Anglers System #5 reels are good choices for 4wt lines.
BTW, welcome to this forum. There are many here with loads of experience.
Enjoy

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

JLH #5 would be my choice.

Return to “Classic Reels”