Hardy Golden Sovereign

A place to discuss those classic and vintage fly reels, classics include modern variations of those of vintage. Please add your photos, stories or just join in conversation about your reels.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Hardy Golden Sovereign

Post by Mister Bill »

I am not sure if a Hardy Sovereign Gold would be considered a classic reel, but if it is, I have a request for information.

I acquired these two reels recently, both 3/4/5's.

I have two questions:

1) One reel is numbered (319), the other is not. How many numbered reels were made? Can a value be added if the reel is numbered? Is that a good thing?

2) While one reel is numbered and the other is not, the one not numbered has some edge rim rash while the unnumbered reel is in like new condition. How much do I add or take away for these conditions?

Last edited by Mister Bill on 07/23/21 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardy Golden Sovereign

Post by jhuskey »

Mister Bill, I would PM member sovereign - he will be able to help you out.
Best,
John

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

Thank you.

DutchWim

Post by DutchWim »

I can only provide an overseas perspective, but as the reel is from my side of the pond anyway: I have always understood that there are 500 of those. Over here, and although you you might be inclined to think otherwise, there is no real difference in value between a numbered and unnumbered one. Instead, condition is everything so looking at the pics I would rate your pristine reel higher, probably around 10-20%.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

I'm a fan of the gold Sovereign and bought one new back in 1994 give or take...still have the box and sales, receipt. I have another bought used and a number of spools for both of them. I keep my eye out for nice examples at reasonable prices and I don't think the numbered versions add or detract from the value. I agree that condition is by far the most important factor. Someone might place a slightly higher value on the numbered examples, but I doubt it would be a major change in value.

grousechaser

Post by grousechaser »

I acquired a Gold Sovereign years ago. I never noticed a line across the back plate. When i sold the reel, the Buyer took a good look at the line and it was a structural crack which Hardy acknowledged was a manufacturing defect. I returned the purchase price to the Buyer and sent the reel back to Hardy. They replaced it with a Duchess reel. The Sovereign was built like a tank and rather heavy for its size.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

I had a size 3/4/5, a numbered one, I think it was 109. It was too heavy for such a small reel, in my opinion, and I stopped using it and eventually sold it. Some people like them though. When I buy a used Hardy reel, the condition is important. I am not interested in whether it is numbered.

stlhdr1st
Guide

Post by stlhdr1st »

Leading on from Grousechaser,s remark..several of us purchased these larger sized reels for Great lakes steelhead fishing..once the temps dropped below zero most of the numbered reels started to develop hairline cracks usually around the writing and stamped number ...upon sending back to Hardy they would return repaired reel back with a new frame minus stamped number....the Sovereign was ahead of its time ,despite its issues,and was a joy to use....

Return to “Classic Fly Reels”