The joy of Granger rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

JHolton
Sport

Re: The joy of Granger rods

Post by JHolton »

Dave,
I don't think Granger or W-M ever made rods with different tips. Most likely one of the tips was a replacement, maybe from a 9052 with a replaced ferrule or a tip from another maker. Several years ago there were a bunch of South Bend tip blanks floating around that were being used as replacements for Granger tips. The taper was much stiffer, but the color was roughly similar. They also had dark purple resourcinol glue lines so some folks wrongly described them as Phillipson tips.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I enjoy the study of my Granger rods... careful to examine - with help from above.

The way the 8642 casts - it stays with you.

It becomes the one - for a while.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Actually, my 8642 didn't become the one....it multiplied into FOUR 8642's because of how well it casts!

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

It was certainly a joy to fish my WM Granger Favorite 8642 to some high country Golden Trout yesterday. Had a wonderful day being back in the mountains. Cheers and tight lines!

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Wow! Great rod, great fish, great scenery! Thanks for sharing!

Dave Westburg
Guide

Post by Dave Westburg »

jimlucey wrote:
02/21/22 19:47
i have a granger 9660 , which i've only fished a few times . i'm wondering what lines you folks like on that rod ?
thanks , jim
I have a 9660. I think it's a 1935-1938 era rod because of the old 5 and ¾” coke bottle grip and Patent Pending on the uplocking reel seat. It seems to cast best with a 406 7 weight fly line. Here are some pics.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

archer829 wrote:
07/11/22 08:00
Wow! Great rod, great fish, great scenery! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you archer!

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Hey guys you know more about this than I. Just bought a WM granger 7'6" 3/2 with 3 tips. It has intermediate gold wraps every 2 inches and a fancy wrap along the swelled butt. The main wraps are brown/gold. It is very nice condition all original,with a few spot where the varnish is worn.The cork is velvety smooth and little dirty, just what you would expect from a very well kept ,used rod. The taper is fine and smooth.It feels like a 3 WF-4WF. Can'y upload pics yet.What do you think? Has the original metal can with no label. Cheers,Chet

Mpheckler

Post by Mpheckler »

Was really interested in that rod, because was listed as 7’8”. I asked for the measurements and was told butt 31”, mid and tip 30 1/2”. Is this something unique, bad measurements, or a 7633?

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

The reel seat was screwed out to the max and sort of stuck. I just screwed it back. Beautiful rod. I took a chance and could not believe the rod when I opened it up yesterday.I think he measured to the end of the ferrules also. The three tips is unusual,no?Cheers,Chet

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I’ve been on a vacation and missed that one. Nice rod! W/M Granger Favorite 7633. My dream rod. I think the shorter tip is from another older rod based on the spacing of the intermediates and varnish color. Enjoy!

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

I should have mentioned that I have the same rod as an Aristocrat, and I like a 406 DT4 with it…

NEKexpat
Guide

Post by NEKexpat »

I’ve got the poor man’s version: a 7.5’ True Action. Definitely one of my favorite rods. And with the “cheap” aluminum reel seat, I think it feels lighter in the hand than a standard Granger/W&M.

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Thanks guys. The intermediate wraps give the rod a bit of flair. It is hard to believe neither of the tips has any set,the taper is so fine. Can't wait to hit a stream in western Massachusetts! The other canes I have are a couple of Sewell N.Dunton's which were built in my town Greenfield and a couple Green Rivers which were built in Guilford,VT. Just over the border on the Green River. One of the streams I'll be tossing the Favorite! Sometimes you get lucky in life and fishing! Cheers,Chet

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Just got to throw my new Granger Favorite 7633.Sweet between 30-40 ft Soft and accurate! DT3 !

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Wow! My Granger 7633 likes a 5wt.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

Mine too...Maybe just my casting style. I sold it in favor of a couple of true 7'6" 4wts.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

Well, I think the better caster you are, the lower weigh line you can throw with a given rod. Maybe after another few years I could cast a 3wt with it.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

It didn't want to go any further out, it was a bit windy, here at the Angler's Club in SF. I'll be trying a 4 with it maybe this weekend.Don't have all my gear here in SF, visiting my kids. I'm not a very good tosser. LOL.It is a sweet and gentle rod,though. Further update, Just went out infront of my son's house a threw a 4 WF, much easier and 10-20 ft further. Don't really need the distance where I fish in western Massachusetts, but it is very smooth and easy like sitting in a lazy boy with a nice glass of wine or cold brew! Cheers,Chet

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Spent the morning casting dry flies to wild brookies and rainbows with my WM Favorite 7633. Beautiful day!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”