The joy of Granger rods

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: The joy of Granger rods

Post by kevinhaney1 »

scarlet>fire, Are the brookies out there native or were they imported from the East Coast?

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Hi Kevin, they were imported at some point. The only trout native to WY is the cutthroat. Cheers, Chris

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

Headed up into the high country for maybe the last time this season. My family came this time and we had a great day. Fished my Goodwin Granger Colorado Special 8642 and the trout obliged. Hope you all got out this weekend as well.

Cheers,Chris

Horton Creek
Guide

Post by Horton Creek »

Granger Aristocrat 7'6" refinished by Mike Clark and a 1594 pfleuger helped bring numerous wyoming high country brookies to hand this summer

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

I like that Aristocrat and Pfleuger. It looks like a marriage made in heaven.
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Taking my Favorite 7633 out for the first time,in a couple of hours, in search of a big brown I spotted and spooked two days ago. Cheers,Chet

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Good luck!

NEKexpat
Guide

Post by NEKexpat »

Rack up another Alex Taylor Granger: this time a 8642 Special.

I just acquired it from an older gentleman in Annapolis, who received it as a gift from a Catskill-area friend years ago. He never fished it and didn't know much about its previous history. It's in incredibly good shape. The properly protected fiber case suggests it might have been professionally restored. The uber-clean handle is also slimmer than my other 8642s. The Granger Special stamp is a bit light and the stripping guide has varnish in the supports that suggests it might have been dipped. Thread seems a little "gold-er" than my WM Granger Specials. Sack is very crisp and clean though, like it saw little use/abuse.

I've got several WM 8642s but this is my first Goodwin Granger. I can see why they're preferred: much lighter, crisper yet more delicate action. Even works well with a 406 DT4F.

Last edited by NEKexpat on 09/19/22 11:02, edited 3 times in total.

NEKexpat
Guide

Post by NEKexpat »

repeated post by mistake & could not delete: please ignore

archt
Sport

Post by archt »

I only own one Granger/WM rod a 9050. it was mint, with the cellophane still on the grip. I understand it is a modern six weight. Would appreciate suggestions as to line weight/use.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I have a WM Special 9053 that has surprisingly fine tips and the taper I assume is standard but mine casts a WF6 nicely. From all accounts, it's supposed to be a 7 weight. It had the all too common butt ferrule "click" and I reset the butt ferrule and mid male as well. Strong rod but is far from a club.
Rod is extremely clean and arrow straight and the ammoniated dark cane is gorgeous. One of the best production rods I believe.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

archt wrote:
02/12/23 13:38
I only own one Granger/WM rod a 9050. it was mint, with the cellophane still on the grip. I understand it is a modern six weight. Would appreciate suggestions as to line weight/use.
My 9050 is a sweet stick with a Cortland Sylk DT6. I fish it with a 1495 Ringer. A match made in heaven.

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

JHolton wrote:
07/31/21 14:04
Just a comment,
. After we were done Susi asked why more makers don't make Granger tapers.
if some were to order an 8'6" 5wt 3pc with a great "all-arounder" character, I would make a rod off the measurements to took off and excellent 8642 Granger Special I ordered several years ago. I also have a nice 7633 taper I'm dying to make, and a 7'9" derived from that 7633 that exists only on paper.

checch
Guide

Re Goodwin granger victory 8040

Post by checch »

Just picked up an old GG with a short sliding band reel seat.It doesn’t even fit a Pflueger! The band is too narrow. No patent number on the seat just GG Denver. Any idea of the year? It throws a 5WF
Nicely. Cheers,Chet

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

I've been fishing a WM 8642 on the Deschutes this winter. It's been my go to rod and handles just about anything. However, there's this one spot that requires a good long cast and I was really struggling with the rod. I had an SA dt5 and I couldn't quite get the long casts without collapsing loops. I was overloading the rod and I just couldn't get my timing right. Plus, the spot requires a high backcast. Well, this past week I tried a Rio Gold WF4 (4.5ish) and the combo really worked for me. I can fish it all day, at all distances, with lightly weighted rigs and tiny midge dries. It's so good when it all comes together! Over the next couple weeks, I'll perfect my leader(s) for it and at that point I think I'll fish it for 90% of this coming season's fishing.

-Jeremy.
The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Awesome! I love fishing with my 8642’s. What reel are you using with it?

j.robillard
Guide

Post by j.robillard »

archer829 wrote:
02/22/23 19:35
Awesome! I love fishing with my 8642’s. What reel are you using with it?
Kinda funny, that. The Rio Gold 4wt was on an old Hardy two screw Featherweight reel. It looked a little small and didn't quite balance the 8642. When I got home, though, I reached out to Carmine at Jordan-Mills and snagged a two screw LRH for a great price. It goes without saying, Carmine is a pleasure to buy from. I'm going to to back it with some fresh orange backing to match the Victory thread colors, and then I think I'll be set.

You can't see much of the rig, but that's my 8642 Victory with the Featherweight after I landed a nice bow on a size 18 BWO soft hackle. Photo of the BWO, too.

Jeremy.

The fly rod not only catches trout; it is a handy fulcrum allowing me to cast to those things that seem so far beyond my grasp.

-Harry Middleton.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”