Excessive play in Hardy Featherweight spool

The purpose of this board is to discuss, ask questions about, and give answers concerning fly reels, their makers and their history.

Moderator: Ken M 44

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Excessive play in Hardy Featherweight spool

Post by GerardH »

I just recently received a single-screw Hardy Featherweight via auction this past week and it appeared in excellent used condition. As I was spooling backing onto the reel today, I noticed the spool had some slop. If I shake the reel there's an audible knock -- I'm guessing this will prove bothersome when I fish with it. I have another Featherweight and two LRH reels -- all three of the spools are tight and there's no play whatsoever. I've seen this with some Hardy clones (Berkley, Daiwa, etc.) but I would expect tighter tolerances with a Hardy reel.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Hardy reels and is there a remedy?

Thank you in advance for any advice offered.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Excessive play in Hardy Featherweight spool

Post by bugslinger »

Use a small washer either metal or plastic on the arbor spindle under the spool.

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

My guess is that the lever that locks spool onto spindle is bent under the cap on spool center. If the spool is sloppy in an up and down direction that is first thing I would look at. take it apart over a shoe box as small parts under cover, lever and a spring. should be a drawing posted on board some where,just did a quick look at reel papers and didn,t see it but its not many parts just fiddley and small bits. Have used a bit of tape to hold parts inside cap and then slid out once you get the 2 screws started but before they are right tightened up. I think the bar(lever) gets bent by over vigorous spool installing,its made of nickle silver and small.Maybe drawing is on fiberglass rods site as picture would help explain it. Daryl

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

Here is old post showing bent latch bar . viewtopic.php?f=72&t=46117&p=86675&hili ... bar#p86675

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Thank you, gentlemen. I packed the latch groove in the spindle with Hot Sauce grease and that seemed to tighten things up...when I looked up dder's link to the 2011 thread, I saw Bulldog suggesting the same. I'll see if that's a permanent fix and if not, I may contact Bill Archuleta.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I have a wide spool Perfect that is pretty sloppy but it does not effect the performance.

bprof
Guide

Post by bprof »

After about a decade of continual service my LRH reel's spool became quite sloppy. I tried the thick grease remedy to tighten up the reel & decrease its end float. As soon as the grease started breaking down after application, the spool's fit would become loose again.
I knew that the remedy would have to be, to bend the NS latch bar that fits into the spindle's slot. But how much to bend (& in what direction)? I did not want a chance of the bar being bent too far (or back, if I got the direction wrong).

My final solution was to send my LRH to Bill Archuleta. He installed & tweaked a new latch bar, producing a tight yet free-spinning fit for my spool. In addition, he sent me a few extra latch bars that he had bent & tested, so that I may be able to do this fix myself.
He is a true master at his craft.

Morten

Post by Morten »

bugslinger wrote:
08/05/21 18:32
Use a small washer either metal or plastic on the arbor spindle under the spool.
A quick fix, is to make one of a piece of paper. Works fine.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

I fabricated washers from an old x-ray of my lower back - quite tough stuff and works well.

reelsmith
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by reelsmith »

Morten wrote:
06/24/22 03:19
bugslinger wrote:
08/05/21 18:32
A quick fix, is to make one of a piece of paper. Works fine.
Tin foil works well too.

Dean.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Ziplock bag material cut into shape worked on a buddys reel just three days ago.

Hmmm... X ray washer sounds much better - I shall sacrifice my pinkie at once.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Classic Reels”