Book searches

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Book searches

Post by Eperous »

There are a couple interesting threads on books, including Dana Lamb and Harry Middleton--- Starlight Creek Angling Society... these posts got me thinking about my own prior searches for hard to come-by, or perhaps expensive, books that I sought... in the "old days" I'd receive books lists from sellers, including Elsie Darbee, who eventually acquired a few Edward R. Hewitt books for me, including Hewitt's Nymph Fly Fishing little green pamphlet, a must-read for me back in the 70s...

Then I acquired books from various dealers, who specialized in this pastime, one whose last name escapes me, but first name was Judith... I traded her a set of Fly Fisherman magazines from the #1 Volume 1 through several volumes for Ernest Schwiebert's two volumes of Trout.... When January's Fly Fishing Show was still held in Somerset, NJ... I'd combed the stacks of various book dealers, when not spending my $ at Charlie Collins' booth...

Acquiring certain books became an obsession with me... as I noted in a prior thread, reobtaining all of Dana Lamb's books was a steadfast goal I achieved over time...

However, I think my crowning achievement was finally purchasing a much desired copy of The Henryville Flyfishers by Ernest Schwiebert...

So I'm wondering about other book fanatics out there, what was your personal achievement, what book purchase was the one you really felt good about?

Ed

abingram
Master Guide

Re: Book searches

Post by abingram »

Ed, I think the ladies man was Bowman. She also sold me most of the Dana Lamb books that I had. The book that I looked for quite a while was "My Side of the River" by Roger Menard. It is still one of my favorites and go back and read it at least once a year. Barry

G Zinkus

Post by G Zinkus »

It seems I am always on a book search.

In recent years I've been making a number of opportunistic purchases, usually at auction or from some of the remaining sporting book dealers. A few highlights include the Syd Glasso Spey Flies with hand-colored fly illustrations by Richard Bunse from the 1990s by Beaverdam Press, The Ristigouche and Its Salmon Fishing by Sage (the Angler's and Shooter's Press version), the Michael Radencich edition of Jones Guide To Norway Deluxe Edition (1 of 10) in a clamshell box with pullout images and a Michael Radencich fly. Oh, and I've been purchasing the Art Lingren produced limited editions of his books on fly tiers including the Harry Lemire, Bill McMillan, Syd Glasso and his Steelhead Influences books. These limited editions of about 20 copies are housed in a clamshell box and complete with a Lemire-tied fly, McMillan-tied fly and then Glasso fly tied by others. So I am especially heavy into limited edition and/or rare fly tying books, steelhead fly books and other sporting books in the hunting genre.

My latest rare book search is for the Beaverdam Press produced boxed edition of Excerpts From The Haig-Brown Diaries. There are a couple of sets out there, but I have not pulled the trigger yet.

Best,
Glenn

Eperous
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eperous »

abingram wrote:
09/09/21 11:45
Ed, I think the ladies man was Bowman. She also sold me most of the Dana Lamb books that I had. The book that I looked for quite a while was "My Side of the River" by Roger Menard. It is still one of my favorites and go back and read it at least once a year. Barry
Yes, Judith Bowman was the book person... no doubt about it...

... and, I knew Roger, and his lovely wife Lisa, his out-of-print book My Side of the River, a Catskill classic+, demands top $

Thanks for the help, my old beer-soaked brain isn't what it used to be...

Ed

Jamie Bendelius
Sport

Post by Jamie Bendelius »

I dare say I was quite surprised to see my picture of Roger Menard posted on this forum. I had done the memorial for Lisa. The original photo, obviously taken during a day of upland shooting together, now sits with a collection of his flies and his favourite little Halstead in my rod shop. He is still sorely missed.

Jamie Bendelius
"Going fishing can f-up a good day of fishing." - Jamie Bendelius

hardyboy
Sport

Post by hardyboy »

I will preface this by saying that this was in the days before the internet. I had been looking for a book called Ring of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell for quite some time. I happened to be at a large antique show in Brimfield MA and came upon a vendor who had a few boxes of used books. I looked through them and to my delight found that very book. To this day I consider it a triumph. These days, the internet has taken all of the challenge away. That is not a complain by the way, just a lament that it takes the "thrill of the chase" out of the equation. I would love to stumble across a copy of The Starlight Creek Angling Society in the same way!

donaldday

Post by donaldday »

In today's years I've been making a number of opportunistic purchases, generally at auction or from some of the remaining sporting ee-e-book dealers. A few highlights encompass the Syd Glasso Spey Flies with hand-colored fly illustrations with the useful resource of the usage of Richard Bunse from the 1990s with the useful resource of the usage of Beaverdam Press, The Ristigouche and Its Salmon Fishing with the useful resource of the usage of Sage (the Angler's and Shooter's Press model), the Michael Radencich model of Jones Guide To Norway Deluxe Edition (1 of 10) in a clamshell discipline with pullout photographs and a Michael Radencich fly. Oh, and I've been shopping for the Art Lingren produced constrained editions of his books on fly ranges which consist of the Harry Lemire, Bill McMillan, Syd Glasso and his Steelhead Influences books. These constrained editions of about 20 copies are housed in a clamshell discipline and complete with a Lemire-tied fly, McMillan-tied fly and then Glasso fly tied with the useful resource of the usage of others. So I am mainly heavy into constrained model and/or unusual fly tying books, steelhead fly books and unique sporting books withinside the looking genre.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

The first important acquisition was an original copy of "The Complete Fly Fisherman: The Notes and Letters of Theodore Gordon" which took several years of looking to find at an affordable price. The most recent and most important to me are the nine volumes penned by Dana Lamb. Those too took some time, but I enjoy them each winter!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

CMcDowell
Guide

Post by CMcDowell »

I enjoy the search for an interesting book. My best find is a leather slip-case edition of Bill McMillan's Dry Line Steelhead.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

In my youth I've been known to drive four hundred miles, one way, to attend an auction where a particular book I wanted was being offered. Of course there were lots of other books offered in case I missed out on the one I wanted.

(Youth means in my fifties)

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

I inherited, from an uncle, a 1926 first edition of "Tales of the Angler's Eldorado: New Zealand" by Zane Grey. What is interesting about this book, apart from Grey's surprisingly eloquent prose and proclivity for telling the odd fib, is the introduction by Grey of shorter, lighter split cane rods into the NZ freshwater fishing scene (which in itself caused a deal of controversy). I would love to know what cane rods Grey used.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I bought a first 'The Old Man and the Sea' reading copy, with the 'A' from Paul Purcell in the 90's.

Jay Edwards

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

Epeorus - The Henryville Flyfishers - I am very jealous! Is it the wonderful read I have always though it would be?
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Caneghost wrote:
12/12/21 08:46
Epeorus - The Henryville Flyfishers - I am very jealous! Is it the wonderful read I have always though it would be?
Yes sir. "The Henryville Flyfishers" book is an excellent read. As is "Tuscarora" & "The Spruce Creek Rod & Gun Club". I have all three and they are well worth the price of admission.
As for Mrs. Judith Bowman. Top shelf. I miss her and her first class ability to remember her clients on a first name basis year after year. I can't tell you how any books I purchased from her at the Somerset Show over the years but so glad I did.
Mark

Booman2
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Booman2 »

Mark is right, Judy Bowman was an excellent book dealer, at the time (IMO) tied with the great and crazy Joe Wilcox a lawyer who, after 2 drinks could sing opera better.. I both bought and sold many books with Judith. As I recall, her husband was VP of a major NYC publishing house. Sadly, she had a bad fall and never fully recovered from a serious hip injury. To mimic her words, " I pay top prices, but am fussy as to condition."
We had quite a few very good angling book dealers back in the 1980's and after, and most of my fishing friends had good collections.
Sadly, now it is not uncommon to meet Montana guides tho don't know who Ernie Schwiebert or Ray Bergman were.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Booman2 wrote:
12/14/21 22:50
Mark is right, Judy Bowman was an excellent book dealer, at the time (IMO) tied with the great and crazy Joe Wilcox a lawyer who, after 2 drinks could sing opera better.. I both bought and sold many books with Judith. As I recall, her husband was VP of a major NYC publishing house. Sadly, she had a bad fall and never fully recovered from a serious hip injury. To mimic her words, " I pay top prices, but am fussy as to condition."
We had quite a few very good angling book dealers back in the 1980's and after, and most of my fishing friends had good collections.
Sadly, now it is not uncommon to meet Montana guides tho don't know who Ernie Schwiebert or Ray Bergman were.
Agreed! Mention Schwiebert or Bergman and others you'll get the deer in the headlights look. :-\ I had a guide back in 2008 come to the FF shop I was
working at the time and exclaim the wild discovery he had made from a recent article in a FF magazine about fishing during certain moon phases. He thought this was revelation. Then I mentioned "Moon Up, Moon Down" by John A. Knight. first published in 1942. I thought he was going to explode. :) He had absolutely no idea that this was old news. Funny stuff.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Bergman should be required reading for anyone starting out in the sport.

Mr. Knight may have been a bit of a snake oil salesman with his Solunar Tables. (I could be wrong) He did write some other very good books about fishing and grouse hunting. Haven't read them in years, but The Modern Angler and Black Bass were worth reading.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

GRASSNGLASS wrote:
12/16/21 12:30
Bergman should be required reading for anyone starting out in the sport.

Mr. Knight may have been a bit of a snake oil salesman with his Solunar Tables. (I could be wrong) He did write some other very good books about fishing and grouse hunting. Haven't read them in years, but The Modern Angler and Black Bass were worth reading.
Agreed about Knight selling Snake Oil. His book on hunting ruffed grouse is one of the worst publications on the subject known to me. I have read many many books on the subject and compare the different approaches to that bird against my own experiences. He leaves me with the feeling that much of what he wrote on ruffed grouse was hearsay from others. It may not be as bad as some others but I thought that book was terrible. IMHO. :)

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

I'll take your word for the Grouse book, I had the Deluxe version of the book, but never read it. I had bought it as a collectible during my Borzoi collecting spree.

I have enjoyed reading Rutledge on Grouse and have a bunch of George Bird Evans that I should read.

I read some of his other books and thought they were pretty good. Appreciate your thoughts on the grouse book.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

It was in 1966 or 1967, when I was attending the University of Utah, that I stumbled upon a small used book store in the basement of a building in Salt Lake City.

Being unable to resist a book shop, I went in and found Marinaro’s Modern Dry Fly Code and Practical Dry Fly Fishing (1912) by Emlyn Gill for $2 each.

The Code has been recovered in leather at Vince’s suggestion, and inscribed to me by him.

Return to “Book Talk”