Why short rods?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Why short rods?

Post by Flykuni3 »

PT and Short say it all. Can only add that I fish small places most of the time, so my rods are all 8’ and under, lines 5 down to two. Most are 7’—7 1/2’.

Now, I do one own one at 8’3, a very fine and light Reams for a 4/5. But it’s for spring creek work and long casting. For me it’s a specialty rod, whereas lots feel a short rod is their specialty rod. I confess I have lots of short rods, and I love thinking of and strategizing which one to use on a specific stream.

RBishop
Sport

Post by RBishop »

Give me an 8' 4 or 5 weight and I am a happy camper. I can work my line so much easier with an 8' rod than I can a 6'6".

GrsdLnr
Master Guide

Post by GrsdLnr »

Some people ask "why?", some people ask "why not?".

Put me in the latter camp.
In our family there was no clear line between psychotherapy and flyfishing...

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I like to fish an occasional short rod as well, but prefer 8'-8 1/2' in cane and 9' in graphite.

So the main reason that most fish the shorter rods is because they are fishing smaller water for smaller fish? And that is more fun? I like a small, beautiful creek as much as the next guy, for a couple of hours here and there. I believe that larger fish are smarter, more experienced, and harder to catch and land, therefore they bring more "fun" to me as well as a challenge. And yes, I realize that bigger fish mean more people...

I guess that's what make the world go 'round...

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

Brookie fishing in the East,
the short rod is "fun",
more nimble for casting amongst obstructions,
and also easier to trudge through thicket, and clamber over downed tree limbs, etc.

I own bamboo from 6'8" - 9'0" and fish them all.

But to me,
5'0"-8'0" is the sweet sport for fiberglass
6'6"-8'0" for bamboo
8'0"-10'0" for graphite

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Does anybody honestly think a long rod is the right tool for the job on streams like these?

Fishing them is hard-enough with a 6-foot rod.
Webfly wrote:
09/22/21 09:47
...I believe that larger fish are smarter, more experienced, and harder to catch and land, therefore they bring more "fun" to me as well as a challenge. ...
Wild fish on sterile mountain streams aren't selective--they'd starve if they were. However, they're beyond wary as their survival depends on it. The challenge is presenting a fly while not alarming them. You typically have to get close and there's nothing easy about it. I'm not catching nearly as many fish as I have in the past, because stalking is getting harder as I age.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Agree w you, Greg…my, those are huge streams to me, here in Droughtland.

Bamboo revival
Guide

Post by Bamboo revival »

For me it’s the fun factor! My 4’4” Banty is a blast everything from getting into proper position making the perfect cast underneath hanging trees, fighting a fish with a tiny rod is pure joy . The pin point accuracy on a small tree lined and bushy stream is fascinating with a small rod… you need to be obsessed with proper position to get great drifts with a small rod . Not to say that’s not important with a longer rod… but it’s everything when productivity fishing a short rod .

If you like small streams and native wild fish you owe it to yourself to give one a try!

abingram
Master Guide

Post by abingram »

I like fishing both these lengths of rods. Since Covid appeared I've mainly fished more narrow streams and creeks where a shorter rod rules. With longer and heavier rods it is not fun to spend more time getting your line out of the tree branches and bushes along the stream. Every time you do this you usually put the fish down that your after. Just my thoughts. Barry

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Beautiful creeks Greg!
It's more the rod (blank) designer than the material. I have 6' and less rods of Bamboo , Glass & Graphite and the most delicate rod I own is a 6'-2" Graphite by Russ Peak marked Zenith Fantasy . Slow, delicate but with backbone. Even my Tankara rod is a 6'er!

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Flykuni3 wrote:
09/22/21 12:29
…my, those are huge streams to me, here in Droughtland.
That's just sad Darrell...

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

I started Fly Fishing in the mid 60s with LL Bean feather weight 7 1/2' 2 1/2 oz glass rod (made by Philipson) so that is my Base Line.
For Land Locked Salmon Streamers I use 8 1/2 to 9 in Bamboo or 9 1/2 in Graphite
In Big or Open streams I like 8' in Bamboo
Butt when it comes to small stream Brookie it's my 6' one piece 1.5 oz Dennis Franke Glass or My Pennington 6 1/2' Canadian

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

I love my short 6' 3wt rod for this.

and my 7 to 71/2' rods for this

In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I know a lot of you will probably disagree about this, but my own opinion is that some streams are just too small to fish. I’m talking about the ones that are only a few feet wide or less.
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Nothing in the photos I've seen is too small or even unreasonable to fish, even if the stream is as small as you mention there are most times a small pool here or there. It is okay that some waters don't meet an individuals parameters, I feel that way about many things myself.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Small streams are unsuitable for trolling, so I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy them.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Last edited by Flykuni3 on 09/23/21 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Ha Quash.

We fish the water we have, out on the Coast we are lucky to see any flow these (dry) days.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

quashnet wrote:
09/23/21 13:01
Small streams are unsuitable for trolling, so I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy them.
This.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

I'm not a collector, so I don't know what's en vogue. But I have been working on a 6'6" taper for some time now and it has been the only rod I've fished with for the last 2 months or so on my local streams. It's just fun to fish, I don't know how else to put it. Effortless and smooth casting.

Prior to this I had primarily fished 7'6"-8' rods, but I am a recent convert. Maybe you just haven't found the right one yet.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”