Jim Clarkson has passed

This forum is for making announcements of general interest concerning the forum, events, gatherings, stuff about bamboo, wooden fly rods and classic reels. If you'd like your announcement stuck at the top until the event has passed, drop a note to one of the Moderators. Thanks.

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Jim Clarkson has passed

Post by cdmoore »

Rich Morrison informed me that Jim Clarkson, owner of Raptor Rod Works, passed away about a month ago. I'm sorry to say I did not know Jim well, but my interactions with him, particularly concerning EC Powell rods, were always pleasant and informative. I understand that Jim provided valuable resources and services to our community and that many here will miss his presence.

Rich was a good friend of and to Jim and has spent several weeks managing the wind down of Jim's shop. He asked that I post his contact info for those who may have outstanding work at Raptor...or who may just want to share memories of Jim. You can find Rich's contact info on his website.

Be well my friends.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Jim Clarkson has passed

Post by Flyman615 »

Jim was indeed a super guy as well as having a wealth of knowledge on the Powell family and their rods. I was fortunate enough to have Jim work on several of my rods.

Thanks to Rich, I was also able to meet Jim in person.
Rest in peace, my friend!

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

What a bummer. Thanks for letting us know.

-John

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Jim performed a restoration on my first EC Powell rod. His work was impeccable and he was a great person to interact with. I had the highest respect for him, his work and his passion for Powell rods. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I dealt with Jim several times over the years, always first class. RIP

canemutiny7

Post by canemutiny7 »

Jim was such great guy: excellent craftsman, extremely knowledgeable, personable, and helpful. He made two companion rods from his Walton Powell blank inventory for my son, and me and made a Tony Maslan rod for my wife from blank stock. They are absolutely impeccable! In addition to this, Jim performed many repairs for me on EC Powell, Walton Powell, and Tony Maslan rods, restoring them as close to original as was possible. I purchased quite a few rods from his shop and Jim was always a consummate professional and gentleman.

The loss of Jim Clarkson has produced a significant vacuum in vintage rod repair here in Northern California and elsewhere. He is missed!

pisgahrd

Post by pisgahrd »

Jim Clarkson did a superb job on a very delicate repair on my Wojnicki 4 wt pent about 10 years ago. He was a great guy and easy to deal with. We spent about an hour on the phone discussing Powell rods and blanks. Now I wish I had purchased one of those Powells from him.

JonesvilleRes

Post by JonesvilleRes »

Just a heads up - I am in touch with the gentleman who Jim left the entire Powell inventory to. Please PM if you want to chat.

Return to “Forum Announcements”