Leaders for blue lining

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

joep
Master Guide

Leaders for blue lining

Post by joep »

What do you guys use as leaders when fishing the little eastern Brooke streams. Say on a 6' or 6'6" rod. Thanks in advance guys.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leaders for blue lining

Post by DrLogik »

It depends on which creek I am fishing. For Eagle Creek in the Smokies I fish with a 9 foot 7x leader even though the stream is very small. It allows me to bow and arrow cast under or through the rhododendron. For other streams without as much canopy I fish a 7 1/2 foot 7x. If deeper water I also fish a 9 foot leader. Truth be told, I could get away with fishing a 7 1/2 footer for most streams.

5Stringtrout
Sport

Post by 5Stringtrout »

I have been using the Cutthroat Furled Lite "Shorty" leader. 48 inches of furled leader with a ring end. I tie 2 feet of 4 to 6 X tippet to it. for the close in fishing we do in the Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National Forest it is ideal.

VanfromMaine
Guide

Post by VanfromMaine »

I second the vote for the Cutthroat "shorty"

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

7 ' leader, 5x tippet. Nothing complicated.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

5Stringtrout wrote:
09/26/21 18:19
I have been using the Cutthroat Furled Lite "Shorty" leader. 48 inches of furled leader with a ring end. I tie 2 feet of 4 to 6 X tippet to it. for the close in fishing we do in the Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National Forest it is ideal.
Guess I'll have to give one of those a try. If Andy says it's good, it's good!

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

I have not to pick up one of those shorties furled leaders. That sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks guys.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

My small stream leaders are usually length of rod, to 2’ longer. Most are 1’ longer than rod.

And for economy, buy a 300 yd spool of mono for tippet, 2 lb test. Cheep and good.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I used to use the shorter Orvis braided leader butts (4' or 5?) with a 6X tippet so the leader was 7' to 7 1/2' total. You needed silicone paste floatant to grease the butts. They turned over really nicely for tight casting. I used Lee Wulff's "oval" casting style a lot, and the braided leaders worked perfectly.

I don't pay much attention to Orvis anymore so I don't know if they still offer them.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Caneghost wrote:
09/27/21 05:43
I used to use the shorter Orvis braided leader butts (4' or 5?) with a 6X tippet so the leader was 7' to 7 1/2' total. You needed silicone paste floatant to grease the butts. They turned over really nicely for tight casting. I used Lee Wulff's "oval" casting style a lot, and the braided leaders worked perfectly.

I don't pay much attention to Orvis anymore so I don't know if they still offer them.
I've used these for many years and love them. Unfortunately, Orvis dropped them from the catalog a few years ago. I've used the same leader on some of my rods for more than 20 years--they just don't wear out. The other thing I like about them, is the loop can be cut off and the leader slipped over the line & glued with cyanoacrylate glue for a smooth transition.

These might be from the same manufacturer: https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-80 ... aders.aspx

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Mine range from 5'6" to 8 feet or so.
I have some 3 foot furled leader butts that work well on really tight water.
6-71/2' are about my favorite length and most useable length.
The Orvis braided leaders are great and they do seem to last forever.
Tippet ranges between 4x and 6x, 5x is my most used, they don't seem to bother the fish and I and pull them out of the brush when necessary.

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

for a 6'0"-6'6" rod, no more than 7' total leader/tippet, 5X.

for small brookie waters, making short 10' casts, I've never found a long leader to be an advantage,
but have found it to be a casting disadvantage.
(most rods do not cast just the leader with no line out very well)
Last edited by corlay on 09/28/21 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Bamboo revival
Guide

Post by Bamboo revival »

5Stringtrout wrote:
Yep!!

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Zen Outfitters 50" 54" or 60" silk furled leaders. There have been plenty of instances when it was the leader, not the line doing the roll casting. I actually prefer the 60" for small streams as it has a heavier "butt" section and really turns over tippet like a dream. Can't say enough about silk in this application, I guess you guys who fish silk lines understand. 2-4' of tippet will turn over with just the leader. Jamie produces a truly excellent product.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

With shorter rods, I always adjust my leader to be about as long as the rod. I use a 60/20/20 formula but then add tippet to that. So for a 6’ rod I would shoot for a 5’ leader. I would go lighter, so 5’ 0.019”, 1’ 0.013”, 1’ 0.010” then tippet. I start the season with a leader wallet of pre-tied leaders, so I can adjust for conditions
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

snorider wrote:
09/27/21 21:40
Zen Outfitters 50" 54" or 60" silk furled leaders. There have been plenty of instances when it was the leader, not the line doing the roll casting. I actually prefer the 60" for small streams as it has a heavier "butt" section and really turns over tippet like a dream. Can't say enough about silk in this application, I guess you guys who fish silk lines understand. 2-4' of tippet will turn over with just the leader. Jamie produces a truly excellent product.
ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth..... heavenstamurgatroid

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

7 1/2’ 4x or 5x with 1’ of size smaller tippet. Typically fishing a 7’ or 7.5’ rod
Received some hand tied leaders from Walter Babb that I look forward to trying out in these configurations.
Never have fished a rod in the 6-6.5’ range but imagine I would dial back to a 7’ leader

5Stringtrout
Sport

Post by 5Stringtrout »

Short Tip wrote:
09/26/21 19:09
5Stringtrout wrote:
Guess I'll have to give one of those a try. If Andy says it's good, it's good!
I was turned on to the furled leaders by Rick Robbins. One of the local fly shops sells them.

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

I have found that for my needs on small streams a 7.5' 4x knotless works well, just add 4,5,6,7 tippet material as needed.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

A fiberglass rodmaker from the Driftless area once gave me a 9ft knotted leader that worked well for those smaller streams. It was simply Maxima, beginning at 0.17, then tapered down in one foot increments to seven feet, to which you attached a 5x leader.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”