Leaders for blue lining

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leaders for blue lining

Post by billems »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
09/27/21 07:07
Caneghost wrote:
09/27/21 05:43
I used to use the shorter Orvis braided leader butts (4' or 5?) with a 6X tippet so the leader was 7' to 7 1/2' total. You needed silicone paste floatant to grease the butts. They turned over really nicely for tight casting. I used Lee Wulff's "oval" casting style a lot, and the braided leaders worked perfectly.

I don't pay much attention to Orvis anymore so I don't know if they still offer them.
I've used these for many years and love them. Unfortunately, Orvis dropped them from the catalog a few years ago. I've used the same leader on some of my rods for more than 20 years--they just don't wear out. The other thing I like about them, is the loop can be cut off and the leader slipped over the line & glued with cyanoacrylate glue for a smooth transition.

These might be from the same manufacturer: https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-80 ... aders.aspx
Beartooth braided leaders are very good. And they don't throw droplets when you cast with them. https://www.beartoothflyfishing.com/cat ... ter/1.html

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Man, am i bookmarking this thread... Thank you all for such great insights into the type of fishing i really hope and expect to get better at. Cheers!

JoeBolt
Master Guide

Post by JoeBolt »

Rather than just another rah-rah from a barstool,
I'd like pose an extension of the topic, so i hope that's not hijacking.

Huge fan of the sheet bend, and so happy to wander off to see those comments.
Then I researched what blue lining means, and wanted to clarify that I will not be starting out that way.
But I also "Boogled" Dominic Swentovsky/Troutbitten, who I've been reading religiously about nymphing and his Mono-Rig, and the version he has with a competition fly line. And also tippet rings, and how to have the most diverse 4wt setup for 35' and less, which includes leader strategies for custom drys, skitters, swings, and nymphing events

We are clearly maybe into styles, and more than one way to skin a cat territory. I think the world of Dominic's dedication to teaching what he thinks from hard boiled trial and error. I would like to hear more how furled leaders might enable this grand type of small stream flexibility. I have to lots to read, indeed.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

2 wt silk line, lower half of a 5’ furled leader, 3 ft of tippet of your choice.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”