Do you have a hack?

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Do you have a hack?

Post by Flykuni3 »

"Here's a hack." If you're hip you've noted your grandkids or mall rats trading info on hacks, which are tricks to save money or do something easier. I have a few for our sport of fly-fishing.

#1, visit a thrift shop and look for fishing wear. I encourage all of you to go today, because with covid peeps -- there's a young word fer ye -- are cleaning out their closets and garages and donating, big time. Oops, I did it again. So it's good pickings out there. I'm fortunate to live in California, and there are tons of such shops and new stuff comes in every day. So much that some have cut off donations now and then because of the volume of donations coming in. I spot clothes with original tags on them, stuff that apparently never got worn. Cooking stuff in orig boxes, unopened, etc.

This past year and a half I've found three pants and two jackets from Patagonia (all these things I'm listing were new or in close-to-new shape); three North Face jackets; and three dozen vented fishing shirts from Simms, Orvis, Columbia and REI. I tell you this vital info because I am about done, my closet is full and am now slowly paring down. My pals get lots of free stuff from me. If they fit a M.

The other good hack I'll mention is the tippet I use. It isn't true tippet. Since I don't do a lot of technical, spring creek fishing I just buy a 300 yd. spool of 2 lb. spinning mono. It's usually under $10, and seems to be in the 5x range. Most of it seems more stiffer than supple, something we all want. That is a joke, Boomer.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Do you have a hack?

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Darrel, isn't the 300 yard spool of 2lb mono rather large to carry around on the creek?

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
09/27/21 20:00
Darrel, isn't the 300 yard spool of 2lb mono rather large to carry around on the creek?
He has a ghillie.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

That’s how I buy Maxima chameleon. 2lb 3lb 4lb 5 lb in “one shot” spools. 250-300 yards ea. 12 bucks or so.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

What chu talkin Willis? It’s 330 yds.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Flykuni3 wrote:
09/28/21 01:11

Wanna sell that Matarelli whip finisher? :) Yea, the one in the photo. :) Think about all of the tippet you could buy with the money. :)

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, If you use fluorocarbon the Berkley Vanish comes in 2, 4, 6.

Jay Edwards

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

Consignment stores are not to be over-looked either....wink, wink.

The tippet tip is is a good one for streamers and nymphs. For dries I use Orvis or Frog Hair. I generally buy the "Guide spool" size from Frog Hair directly. Better value.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Hellmtflies wrote:
09/28/21 07:43
Flykuni3 wrote:

Wanna sell that Matarelli whip finisher? :) Yea, the one in the photo. :) Think about all of the tippet you could buy with the money. :)
Oh that old thing?

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Flykuni3 wrote:
09/28/21 14:09
Hellmtflies wrote:
09/28/21 07:43
Flykuni3 wrote:

Oh that old thing?
Yea, I'll happily take it off your hands. :)

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Oh, I'll let you know....

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Flykuni3 wrote:
09/29/21 01:08
Oh, I'll let you know....
"OK" Great! Holding my breath. :)

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

As for "tricks to do something easier...."--getting out the door of the house for a few days, and keep the missus happy, requires a good hack. Mine's Joseph Perrier Brut--her favorite:

bb

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Here's one: Those Sierra sporting goods shops carry overstocked Montana trout flies on the cheap, though I'd never fish with a fly I didn't tie--said Pinnochio.

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

bearbutt wrote:
09/29/21 09:02
As for "tricks to do something easier...."--getting out the door of the house for a few days, and keep the missus happy, requires a good hack. Mine's Joseph Perrier Brut--her favorite:

bb
bb, you know that foil over the cork area on that bottle can be sliced down and used for streamer bodies? :P

As for any other (tying) hacks, I have about a half-dozen wild turkeys that live in my mountain laurel year round. In exchange for bird seed they leave me feathers galore. I haven't tied a pheasant tail nymph without turkey tail in years. (I guess I should just call them TT's).
Much longer and stronger fibers to work with, and have a great look.
Mike B

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Went down to my local park, gathered enuf duck and Canada goose feathers for forever.

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

I took up duck hunting this year. I don't want to know the price per ounce of wood duck this year but in 40... *shrugs*

Does that count?
- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

Holdover
Guide

Post by Holdover »

Here's a couple I use every time out. If you cut your tippet diagonally it makes threading smaller flies or partially obstructed eyelets much, much easier.
My favorite "hack" though is actually a piece of equipment, knee pads. Besides saving wear and tear on the waders it makes any move involving being on your knees so much more comfortable. Pushing off/ crawling up the river bank, stalking etc... Also nice to have on if you slip and come down hard on your knee cap. There's a substantial crack in mine that wouldn't be there if I had been wearing them.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Now those are some great suggestions. Since I've fallen several times (I fish rocky places, broke my fibula once, and did I scream like a girl) the knee protection idea is a good one...or a complete body-wrap of plastic bubble wrap. The diagonal cut is a great idea, first time I've ever heard that one. I'll add to that trick, instead of looking down at fly as we all tend to do, I'll hold it up against the sky to thread tippet. You can really see the opening of the eye against the sky.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Unfortunately, if I look up for long enough to thread a fly, I'll get dizzy. Haven't fallen yet thank goodness. Great hack though !

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”