Sunglasses

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

baughb
Guide

Re: Sunglasses

Post by baughb »

I wish I could justify the costs of prescription Maui Jims. Definitely gorgeous glasses. Lenscrafter's Ray Bans for me these days.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Brooks wrote:
10/19/21 14:46
Costa "sunrise silver" mirrors are my secret weapon for low light hatches and for bird hunting (that strobe-like tree shadow, open light, tree shadow stuff that makes it tricky for a lot of sunglasses). Great polarizers and the lighter yellow optics is really good for those hatches in the shadows and those early evening weird light scenarios. I like the Costa green mirrors for bright days and ocean conditions.
That "strobe-like tree shadow, open light stuff" was a constant challenge up on the Canadian border this year chasing grouse. Unseasonably warm and bright and a record drought had me hunting in shorts and high-top sneakers for several days. I would deliberately approach a covert from a different direction (if possible) to avoid that particular complication. In the 6-weeks I was up there only one had the more-seasonal rain and grey weather (still dealing with the fallout of my wife's dad's passing as well, my "Hizzoner"). I will look for those Costas (Smiths have been my go-to for a very long time now, in the brown). Might be time for an upgrade.

Recurve1
Sport

Post by Recurve1 »

I wear contacts with standard Smith/Action optics polarized glasses. This way I avoid buying new prescription sunglasses every time my prescription changes. New contacts are cheaper than new sunglasses and can be used for more events.
When I need to tie a knot the sunglasses come off (they are on a keeper) and I put on a cheap pair of magnifiers from the dollar store. Another trick I use is a threader fly box for near dark fly changes - super simple and fast.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Technology marches on and this thread is getting fairly dated. Anything new in 2022? Is it still between either Maui Jim or Costa? Or even Smith? My 20-year old set of Smiths are getting a little rickety and I'm activily in the market for something to replace them. Coatings just seem to get better all the time, so... who's got the hot ticket now? I don't need a prescription just yet, so whats the best off-the-shelf? I tend to use my sunglasses for just about everything (including driving and hunting), but fishing and wading is the place I most depend on them. I'd prefer something better made (and not too-plasticy). I know some of the cheaper versions are fairly good now, but I can afford to buy something a little better. So who's a little better now?
Last edited by lloyd3 on 03/08/22 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

carl otto wrote:
10/20/21 09:04
I find that using flip focals or the like have solved this problem for me. They are realitively inexpensive and come in handy for many other things my aging eyes need asistance with. Do not get the highest powered ones. I find the 1.5 - 2.0's the best.

Peace,

Carl
+1. Hat mounted flip focals and coasta del mar polarized glasses. The frames and lens quality are really good. Check out the different brands in person. I get mine at Sunglass Hut.

I keep a few threaders and an extra flip focal on hand on the river as insurance.

The flip focal suck in many ways - depth of field is limited so position has to be just right - but they are the best of many crappy options. For a while I was using readers but it’s just too slow and too much of a pain. Wish I had my 30 year old eyes back. Things went downhill at 50.

John

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

The best pair of sunglasses I've ever owned were a pair of Bolle's in the 1980's. Glass lenses, which made them heavy, but the optics were perfection. Fast forward and I've been - or should say was - a Smith fan. I now wear Spy Optic. Why? Because (A) like Smith, Spy offers frame sizes to comfortably fit large melons, and because (B) my hiking partners son works in the industry and gets them wholesale. The optics of Smith and Spy are indistinguishable.

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

I have been using cocoons before they were cocoons. I love them as I can pull them down to tie flies, and when it gets dark. No reason to carry another pair of glasses on the stream. and uyou do not want to walk back to your truck wearing sunglasses after dark in Montana.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

There are just so-many options out there for eyewear. Focusing on real "needs" helps sort that out a bit. My Smiths were my first set of "good" sunglasses and sadly, the only reason I bought them was getting them at "cost". Before that, I didn't take expensive sunglasses all that seriously. I do now because they keep me from being injured while wading (the fact that they work so well for everything else has just been a wonderful side-benefit). Accordingly, I will focus now on either Maui Jim or Costa (the news Smiths look weird to me). I want 1. Real glass and 2. Good polarizing, 3. Decent quality (no crappy plastic), and if possible 4. The latest coatings to add clarity and reduce "clutter" . In rifle scopes the newer "coatings" seem to enhance light-gathering and eliminate superfluous input (blue light, glare,clutter, etc.). I'm hoping "new" sunglasses do that too.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Well...bought some new fishing/wading sunglasses Saturday. After much research I settled on yet another set of Smiths (their top-end Guide's choice). The tipping point was, of course, that I got them for "cost" again at my old gunshop/flyshop job(!). So, for almost no money I got Chroma-pop, the new lightweight high resolution glass, spectacular polarizing, darn good fit, and some variation of "photo-grey" where they get lighter and darker with light levels. Other fishing glasses probably look better to me but...this was a deal I couldn't ignore.

Their sales pitch...

Lightweight, scratch-resistant Techlite™ polarized glass lenses cut glare
ChromaPop™ Glass polarized lenses cut glare and enhance color and contrast while being highly scratch-resistant
Smudge and moisture resistant coating for easy cleaning and clear optics
Anti-reflective coating improves clarity and reduces eye strain
100% UV protection

Fit / Integration
Medium-large fit, medium-large coverage
8-base lens curvature offers a wraparound fit
Megol temple and nose pads provide non-slip grip so glasses stay put (whatever the hell "Megol" is...)
Spring hinges self adjust to your face for a snug, comfortable fit

Again, time will tell on these units. I really wanted to try the competition's offerings (Costa, Maui Jim, etc. ) but I couldn't even find any to try on here, at least not conveniently. With the money I've saved here I can possibly find other sunglasses to focus on my other outdoorsy passions, like maybe grouse-hunting?

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Cocoons makes a yellow .. err yellow, that I wish I could find more of.

As far as fitovers go - they are uniquely amazing for me in low light conditions.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

I have three pairs of Smiths. One is uncorrected, which I use when fishing with guides; I see okay with them at distance, but I can’t tie flies on with them. The guide can do that for me. When I’m alone, I use bifocals. They do make it hard to see the ground in front of me clearly. Even with them, I need flip-ups to tie small files on. One of my bifocal pairs is pretty old, so they are mainly for backup.

Anyway, my question here is whether you guys feel that any brand or color is best for sight fishing. Guides see fish that I can’t find even when they are trying their best to tell me where to look.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

I did pick up some discount Costas online (~$85) in the Sunrise Silver (which is a yellow tint w/silvered lenses). As much as I hate to say it (I am a big Smith fan) I think these work slightly better for finding fish than my new Smiths. They're only lightly colored, so...very little protection from glare, and use in low-light conditions is advised. I use them for shooting clays too, which they also do very well. Looking forward to this Fall and the grouse woods...

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Rudy Project Rydon's. Replaceable/interchangeable lenses, polarized, photochromic and you can get "reader" lenses for them.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

I have for years fished with "high end" fishing glasses, some were RX but lately after lens implants corrected my distance vision I get by with the models that have the 2.5x magnifier section at the bottom. And I wholeheartedly agree that these glasses are practically a basic need if you are trying to see into water for anything from brook trout to bonefish but........ Since manufacturers have come up with the glued-in sections of non-slip material where they go over your ears and sit on your nose I am thoroughly fed up with the damn things (and did I mention they are expensive) falling apart after a year or not long after. And this has been glasses from the 2 most popular brands and more than a pair or two.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

Bill Terry wrote:
05/06/22 07:01
Anyway, my question here is whether you guys feel that any brand or color is best for sight fishing. Guides see fish that I can’t find even when they are trying their best to tell me where to look.
Everything I've ever read recommends copper lenses for sunlit streams and yellow lenses for low light conditions. The salt guys/gals and lake guys/gals need more protection, so they use lenses that block more light.

I just picked up a pair of Smith Castaways with glass, low light yellow Ignitor lenses on sale at REI for $170 (comes with a leash). I carry them in my vest, and I've had occasion to use them once, meh. I like how they fit, but I'm not sure how much better the yellow lenses are compared to clear lenses. Previously, I had Action Optics sunglasses with yellow lenses, and I remember thinking they were pretty good for low light, but I read that Smith acquired Action Optics.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I haven’t read all the responses in case someone else mentions this, but ALL polarized sunglasses reduce clarity. It is a function of the film used for polarization. Cheap glasses impact clarity more than quality lenses. I use Costa. I despise flip focals and just keep a pair of reading classes in my vest.

You can get good sunglasses on Sierra Trading for about 1/2 price
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

HexaMaineiac
Master Guide

Post by HexaMaineiac »

With bi or tri-focal make sure that the magnified section of the lens is set lower than normal so it doesn’t interfere with walking.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think a pair with copper lenses might be worth trying.

Lee, that’s an interesting observation about the effect of polarization on clarity. I didn’t know that. But I do know that polarization reduces light transmission—it only allows light to pass through that is polarized in the proper direction. FWIW, a long time ago I got a pair of “Night Vision” glasses from a company called Specialized Optics (if memory serves). These had nothing to do with the night vision (infrared sensing) glasses used by the military. They just had the minimum light attenuation that still allowed polarization. Evidently, the company is now defunct.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”