Profile of a bamboo fly fisherman

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

mlarocco
Master Guide

Re: Profile of a bamboo fly fisherman

Post by mlarocco »

RSalar, while I appreciate your passion and interest in these topics, the reason people get frustrated with this thread is because you don't seem to respect other people's points of view when they are different from your own.
I had posted about Tarpon fishing on the Baddest Fish Landed thread. Apparently RSalar did not read that thread.

I have gear and fly fished for Tarpon in Florida, Puerto Rico, Belize and Costa Rica and consider myself a seasoned amateur. Tarpon can be encountered in many situations. A heavy bamboo rod would not be my 1st choice wade fishing the flats, sight fishing and quick casts. However, allot of tarpon fishing can be done from a boat where long, quick casts are not necessary. If an angler is lucky enough to jump a large tarpon and it stays 'stuck' for the first 5 minutes of acrobatics they can prepare for a long, drawn out battle sometimes lasting multiple hours. A lodge owner in Costa Rica told me the problem he continuously encountered at his lode was clients "blowing up" high end graphite rods. In most cases, veteran fly fisherman (novices don't usually shell out the $$ for a tarpon lodge) don't know the limitations of their graphite rods (don't know how to play really large fish). A different lodge I fished out of on that same river in CR handed out 14wt Ugly Stick Fly rods to customers.As I said in the other thread, a bamboo rod may be more forgiving to user errors (not break). A broken rod ends the day pretty quickly (especially for those who don't carry backups).

It would be interesting to track down Thomas and Thomas clients who purchased their 12wt bamboo rods. My opinion certainly 'doable'

Guide estimated 160lb tarpon caught using Loomis 12 wt

Fly that worked

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

After reading all the replies, I’ve come to the conclusion that bamboo fly fishermen are the Jesuit Priests of the Society of Creative Anachronism.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Brooks wrote:
12/13/21 11:27
After reading all the replies, I’ve come to the conclusion that bamboo fly fishermen are the Jesuit Priests of the Society of Creative Anachronism.
:D That's why I've stayed away until now as I am certainly not a Priest of any sort much less a Jesuit , I am however, quite capable of creative anachronism which is most likely why I am soo confused !!

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

davemaine wrote:
12/13/21 08:49
RSalar, while I appreciate your passion and interest in these topics, the reason people get frustrated with this thread is because you don't seem to respect other people's points of view when they are different from your own.
I have given no indication of disrespect for anyone’s point of you. Even though I may disagree, I certainly respect different view points. Take yours for example. “For the fishing I do (mostly normal sized trout in rivers) it is definitely NOT more challenging to fish with bamboo.” I totally respect that, for the type of fishing you do, you don’t feel handicapped. I agree that when you don’t need to make really long casts or when you are only catching little fish it doesn’t matter what you use. You could use a branch off a tree with a piece of leader tied on the end and you wouldn’t be handicapped. I get it, I’ve done it! So of course I agree, you are right!! Total respect and admiration— I love that kind of fishing too.

But you shouldn’t be frustrated just because there are times when certain kinds of fish require a really long cast and then when the monster is hooked you need a really strong rod. Bamboo fly rods can be made to handle these situations— like steelhead fishing with a 14’ Spey rod — and there are fishermen that make and use bamboo for these tasks but you must be able to understand that it definitely takes much greater skill to do so.

So you have a wide spectrum of types of fish and methods of fishing for them. If we take all of these different fish and different requirements and total them all up. The number of cases that bamboo is not more challenging and doesn’t require more skill is a small fraction of the total.

This is a GOOD thing! You should be proud that you are in the elite group of fishermen who have chosen to challenge themselves. There is more to fishing than seeing who can land the most fish. It’s about enjoying yourself — and if you enjoy bamboo and the added challenge it offers that is fantastic!

Thank you very much for offering a different point of view. I do appreciate yours and all the others who have disagreed with my opinion. That’s how we learn and grow. This has been a great learning experience for me and hopefully for you. I look forward to your response.
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

mlarocco wrote:
12/13/21 10:40

I had posted about Tarpon fishing on the Baddest Fish Landed thread. Apparently RSalar did not read that thread.

Guide estimated 160lb tarpon caught using Loomis 12 wt

Fly that worked
Yes I did read your post. Apparently you didn’t read the title, because the thread was about fish landed on bamboo fly rods. Although your feat of landing a tarpon on a modern high tech top of the line graphite rod is a great one (that very few people can afford to do), it would have been much more impressive if you had accomplished the same feat with a split cane fly rod! (This is so obvious to me that I shake my head in disbelief that anyone would take issue with it.)

The fact that you chose graphite over bamboo supports my contention that bamboo does require more skill. Maybe you can speak to why you chose to use a graphite rod instead of bamboo on that tarpon fishing trip. That would be very interesting.
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Last edited by JabaliHunter on 12/16/21 13:04, edited 2 times in total.

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

I totally respect that, for the type of fishing you do, you don’t feel handicapped. I agree that when you don’t need to make really long casts or when you are only catching little fish it doesn’t matter what you use. You could use a branch off a tree with a piece of leader tied on the end and you wouldn’t be handicapped.
Sir, if you don't see how that is disrespectful and condescending then I can't help you.
You should be proud that you are in the elite group of fishermen who have chosen to challenge themselves.
I'm proud of my daughters. I'm proud of a good day's work. But proud of fishing bamboo? Huh? Elite group of fisherman? I don't see it that way.

For really the last time, I don't fish bamboo to challenge myself or to be elite or to feel pride. I just like bamboo fly rods. And they work great for trout fishing.

I agree that graphite is probably superior for saltwater, salmon, and steelhead. But for average trout fishing (hardly a "small fraction" of the fly fishing universe) I just don't think it is (with the exceptions of tenkara and euro-nymphing).

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

Yes I did read your post. Apparently you didn’t read the title, because the thread was about fish landed on bamboo fly rods. Although your feat of landing a tarpon on a modern high tech top of the line graphite rod is a great one (that very few people can afford to do), it would have been much more impressive if you had accomplished the same feat with a split cane fly rod! (This is so obvious to me that I shake my head in disbelief that anyone would take issue with it.)
I did read the title. The post describes 3 components of fly fishing, 1. making the cast 2. setting the hook 3. playing the fish. It goes on to describe, based on experience with graphite, how it could be done with bamboo. I also indicate following up with anyone who used a Thomas and Thomas 12 wt split cane would be appropriate (my heaviest cane rod is rated for a 10 (salmon fishing)).

The other thing I indicate in the post is opportunities. Somebody living in Florida may have 100's of shots at Tarpon per year. Somebody living in Costa Rica may have 100's of shot at sailfish per year. If they live their the annual cost outlay may not be that much. Some of those people may keep a T&T 12 wt on their boat and aren't afraid to reach for it depending upon the circumstance.

If you have any pertinent experience, you have not presented it anywhere. There are thousands of members in the forum and it's good that much experience can be drawn upon in so many different fishing circumstances. There are tens of thousands of fly fishermen that don't even know this forum exists.Just because something is beyond the skills of one forum member does not mean it's not being done by somebody else.

It would be an i9nteresting 'challenge' for the rod makers on this forum. Build a 12 wt than as a group visit Bahia Honda State park in the Florida keys and give some of those bridge tarpon a shot.
Last edited by mlarocco on 12/16/21 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Brooks wrote:
12/13/21 11:27
hello, brooks;

this (whatever) has been going on since 10/23 - you are usually a lot faster in coming to a conclusion, may be it is the holiday season :) . there appears to be a tendency among "some" bamboo aficionados to believe fishing with bamboo requires a person having much higher than normal cognitive abilities, but are understandably reluctant to to state the fact. it does require considerable intelligence to so handicap oneself with equipment and rules in order to catch and then free a five inch fish with a brain the size of a shrivelled up pea. however, there would be no reason to feel superior or smug about that as there are a large number of other activities needing more smarts than the average bear. the field of honor with swords or duellers comes to mind as one sport which would tend to weed out the dead wood. from the beginning i have felt that this topic has been a manifestation of early cabin fever syndrome brought on in part by the current medical emergency. this is just my 1/2 cent worth after taxes.
ymmv

jim
regards

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Bottom line for me is that the initial post was created by someone that feels a sense of higher cognitive abilities across the entire spectrum in which we exist. The quote that "if I offended anyone, I really don't care" speaks volumes at least to me and my bone china thin skin. Not.
There is a wealth of pertinent knowledge here with world class fly tiers, rod builders, guides, authors, musicians, etc. etc. This individual will not relent until he is deemed 100% correct and satisfied that he alone has made his point and we all take a knee.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

barebo wrote:
12/16/21 12:55
Bottom line for me is that the initial post was created by someone that feels a sense of higher cognitive abilities across the entire spectrum in which we exist. The quote that "if I offended anyone, I really don't care" speaks volumes at least to me and my bone china thin skin. Not.
There is a wealth of pertinent knowledge here with world class fly tiers, rod builders, guides, authors, musicians, etc. etc. This individual will not relent until he is deemed 100% correct and satisfied that he alone has made his point and we all take a knee.
hello, barebo;
i prefer to break a leg, which in Elizabethan times meant to "take a bow". ;)

regards, jim w

Stuckeysflat
Sport

Post by Stuckeysflat »

Interesting question. 1972, I was in high school, had been fly fishing for a couple of years for bass and bluegill, and a buddy dragged me up to the Yellow Breeches for a weekend of trout fishing and I was hooked. Bamboo was state of the art in the early 70's, I had a good part time job, and I ordered an Orvis kit rod, followed by another one shortly after. I didn't buy another bamboo rod until 50 years later when I snagged a project Heddon Black Beauty in need of a rebuild from an antique store. I went the whole evolution of bamboo, glass and graphite, freshwater (bass, bluegill, trout, carp) and saltwater (stripers, bonefish, tarpon, reds, snook). I'm now back to bamboo (still fishing the two Orvis rods) and glass (a bunch of Fenwick, Lami, Loomis and Clemens). Bluegill excite me as much as anything else, but I spend more time on local trout waters because, well, trout are harder to catch and it's typically a more interesting place to cast. I mostly fish alone and walk a half mile up or downstream before stringing up my rod. The folks who look like they fell out of an LL Bean fly fishing ad fascinate me, but I guess they're good for the industry, and often they're a good source of good used rods and reels when they lose interest. There's my profile, for what it's worth. Tight lines.

arfly
Guide

Post by arfly »

This thread has been interesting. I started fly fishing in the 80's. I have been at it for nearly 37 years now. When I started fishing it was common to see bamboo rods where i fished. They were mostly blue collar rods in the 8 1/2' to 9' range and 6/7 weights. 5 was considered light. By the 90's one hardly saw a bamboo rod and the trend was for shorter and lighter rods and a 5 weight was considered heavy. Now bamboo rods are common again but mostly with the over 50 crowd. I fish bamboo because i like it and its the preferred material for the way I fish. I have no interest in the overly stiff graphite rods on the market today. So here's my profile. I'm 46. I'm white. Hair is turning silver. I'm divorced. I pastor a church and also work on the maintenance staff at the apartment complex where I live. My income is more than some people make but less than I would like to make. I have fished from coast to coast in this country and lived in several states. I have settled 30 miles from where I grew up and still fish the same waters I grew up on. I buy the rods I like to fish and have more than I really need, mostly from contemporary makers and all in 3 to 6 weights. My favorite is a Sweetgrass quad 3 pc. 5wt. That's my profile.

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

arfly wrote:
12/18/21 22:21
This thread has been interesting. I started fly fishing in the 80's. I have been at it for nearly 37 years now. When I started fishing it was common to see bamboo rods where i fished. They were mostly blue collar rods in the 8 1/2' to 9' range and 6/7 weights. 5 was considered light. By the 90's one hardly saw a bamboo rod and the trend was for shorter and lighter rods and a 5 weight was considered heavy. Now bamboo rods are common again but mostly with the over 50 crowd. I fish bamboo because i like it and its the preferred material for the way I fish. I have no interest in the overly stiff graphite rods on the market today. So here's my profile. I'm 46. I'm white. Hair is turning silver. I'm divorced. I pastor a church and also work on the maintenance staff at the apartment complex where I live. My income is more than some people make but less than I would like to make. I have fished from coast to coast in this country and lived in several states. I have settled 30 miles from where I grew up and still fish the same waters I grew up on. I buy the rods I like to fish and have more than I really need, mostly from contemporary makers and all in 3 to 6 weights. My favorite is a Sweetgrass quad 3 pc. 5wt. That's my profile.
That’s a great answer to the original question — I wonder how typical your profile is? I started fly fishing in the 70’s but I don’t remember anyone fishing with bamboo. My father had one and he talked about the fact that he had used it a lot until fiberglass came out. Then everyone switched. But everyone I fished with were salmon fishermen so maybe they changed to glass before the trout fishermen? Bigger heavier rods … makes sense they would find glass easier to use over the course of a day. I learned to cast with my Dad’s bamboo rod then bought a Fenwick glass 8’ for an 8 weight to fish with. Always mistakenly thought bamboo was out of date and only fished by strange old men. Now it seems to be the cool thing to do.

Perry Palin
Master Guide

Post by Perry Palin »

RSalar wrote:
12/19/21 12:00

Always . . . thought bamboo was . . . only fished by strange old men.
I am 72 years old, haven't had a day job for five years, annual income well above the state average, a beekeeper, a grandfather, have a full head of brown hair, use bamboo or wood rods for stream trout about 25 days per year (I stopped counting so that's a guess), and yes, I am a strange old man.

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

mlarocco wrote:
12/16/21 10:35

It would be an i9nteresting 'challenge' for the rod makers on this forum. Build a 12 wt than as a group visit Bahia Honda State park in the Florida keys and give some of those bridge tarpon a shot.
I think you are on to something! That would be a great way to promote bamboo rod makers. I think you could get that kind of event televised — they did after all make a show about knife makers. And the show Silver Kings seemed to be somewhat successful. Why not a tv series about bamboo fly rod makers challenged with task of catching a 100+ lb tarpon? Especially set in the great scenery of the Florida Keys -/ get some sponsors like Costa sun glasses, Corona beer, boat manufacturers, etc. Sunshine, ripped guys, girls in bikinis and weird old guys with bamboo fly rods! Talk about a cinematic sensation… Now we just need someone to organize the event

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

barebo wrote:
12/16/21 12:55
Bottom line for me is that the initial post was created by someone that feels a sense of higher cognitive abilities across the entire spectrum in which we exist..
Definitely higher cognitive abilities than you but that’s not saying much

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

RSalar wrote:
12/19/21 23:29
Very inappropriate reply. Your ego is showing much too much.

Tim

Holdover
Guide

Post by Holdover »

Tim Anderson wrote:
12/20/21 00:14
RSalar wrote:
12/19/21 23:29
Very inappropriate reply. Your ego is showing much too much.

Tim
And immaturity..

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

It’s quite amazing how some people feel that’s it is entirely appropriate to pass judgment on another person’s motives, ego, maturity level etc., but when the table gets turned they can’t handle the heat. This entire thread has been met with unexpected negativity from people who for some reason take offense at the idea that people who fish with bamboo can be “profiled” from a marketing perspective. There is nothing in it to be offended by. It’s a very simple and innocent question—if you are offended by it, it’s on you to figure out why. And if you dish it out don’t complain when you get it back.

But on the other hand, to all those who had positive things to add to this discussion— I’d like to thank you one more time , I appreciate it and have found your views very instructive.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”