Profile of a bamboo fly fisherman

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Re: Profile of a bamboo fly fisherman

Post by Eddie Southgate »

There is no real one answer to this . All kinds of people living in all kinds of financial situations ,of all sexes own and fish bamboo . The idea that bamboo requires any extra expertise to cast or to be able to land a big fish is just goofy . I spent most of my life making average money , I drive what my wife of 30 years lovingly calls junk , live in a small house in the country that is in a perpetual state of disrepair, seldom have more than a few thousand in my savings account at any one time . I own probably $40K worth of modern fishing equipment , roughly that in guns , have between 60 and 70 bamboo flyrods and I have lost count of the fine fly reels let alone the just average reels . I'm in my 60's , have two grown sons , one wife , one dog ,three cats , and one pig . Yes , I am older , not sure if I have more gray hairs or doctors appointments but I've been on the bamboo kick since the 1960's so I'm not sure being ancient has any bearing on me using bamboo in preference to graphite. Not rich , never been what you would call well off but I have never been broke and never made a short or late payment in my life, yet I still have the kind of toys that most would say you have to be well heeled to own . Maybe I'm more typical than I know , I don't know . I do know I'm bored . Only Tailwater fishing around here and they have been discharging between 1700 and 3800 cfs everyday but Saturday and Sunday for the last several months and I don't fight the weekend corn dunking crowd for stockers .

I'd say the average profile of people that fish Bamboo could be summed up in one short sentence . They are people that appreciate nice things.
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

The OP got five pages and counting. Either it is a topic of interest, or struck a nerve. For me the latter...

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

If you could be a trout……what color would you be?😎

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

ibookje wrote:
11/08/21 07:58
RSalar wrote:It only makes sense that fly fishermen who choose to fish with bamboo over graphite, are in general more skilled anglers. Getting the timing right with a bamboo fly rod is more difficult and larger fish can't be horsed around -- they must be played with fineness. Fishing bamboo is a refinement in the art of fly fishing.
This is a bunch of crap…

Well maybe you haven't tried both -- or maybe you have your mind made up without very much experience away from the keyboard. It's not a bunch of crap at all. It's very easy to prove. Let's start with the basics of caring for a bamboo fly rod: Unlike graphite you can't just put it away in its sock soaking wet. Unlike a graphite rod you can't just lean it against the wall with its tip bent for a month -- if you do it will likely take a set. The nickel silver ferrules need to be cleaned and lubricated on a fairly regular basis. I have used one of my graphite rods for 30 years and have never cleaned the ferrule. Graphite doesn't take a set. Caring for a bamboo rod takes more knowhow, plain and simple. Now lets consider casting a bamboo fly rod -- wouldn't you agree that it is easier for a beginner with poor timing to cast a graphite fly rod than it's bamboo counterpart? Have you ever taught someone how to cast? Maybe the average fly fisherman with average skills and only fishing short lines can cast both bamboo and graphite with equal proficiency, but if we step up the game and consider an expert caster, things change very quickly. If the experienced fisherman is fishing for a species -- take Atlantic salmon, steelhead, bonefish, tarpon and other salt water gamefish that require long and accurate casts he will quickly realize that graphite is much easier to use. As far as I know there are no current world records held by bamboo fly rods. If someone holds an IGFA world record and used a bamboo fly rod to achieve it I would be amazed and if they did it with bamboo it's a much greater achievement than if they did it with graphite. How about casting records for distance? Which material do you think holds all of the current records?

Then there is playing the fish -- especially big, powerful fish that can easily break a bamboo rod -- you actually believe graphite and bamboo are equals in terms of the skill required?! Come on, this is not rocket science -- it's pretty obvious to anyone who has any fishing/casting experience whatsoever. It definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, takes more skill to fish with bamboo. PERIOD
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

RSalar wrote:
11/10/21 07:46
Come on, this is not rocket science -- it's pretty obvious to anyone who has any fishing/casting experience whatsoever. It definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, takes more skill to fish with bamboo. PERIOD
I cannot remember the last time that such a nonsensical comment of monumental arrogance has graced this forum. Thanks for the laugh.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Or looking at it from a different angle it takes more maintenance to own a bamboo fly rod, that is not skill from a casting or fishing standpoint.

I've caught some pretty hefty fish on bamboo and I believe they were just as easy to subdue as with a graphite or fiberglass fly rod, they all accomplish the same thing. I have never broken a bamboo rod while fighting a fish but I have with two graphite rods, one at the ferrule and one in the midsection.

I find casting a bamboo is certainly no harder to do than casting a rod of any other material with the same action.

Point of fact is that beginners do better with a medium fast action rod than a fast or a very slow rod which take more skill to cast competently, all actions can be designed for all materials, bamboo rods are generally medium fast, therefore they are in the easiest class of rods to cast. That is why they are so wonderful to fish with. PERIOD

Perry Palin
Master Guide

Post by Perry Palin »

By the time we reach page 5 I doubt any of us will be persuaded to change our views on any of this anymore.

We are all victims of our own experience. Some posts make sense to me, and some don't compute with my narrow field within fly fishing.

A few comments on remarks in earlier posts:

It takes a little more time to maintain a bamboo rod than a graphite or fiberglass rod. I am willing to spend that little more time.

Bamboo rods can take a set, while graphite generally does not. I correct the sets in any of my bamboo rods in a few minutes with a kitchen toaster.

I've caught brown trout to 22 inches with 4 wt and 5 wt bamboo rods and never felt under gunned.

I like bamboo (and wood) rods for small to medium sized trout streams, but I am not a purist. The graphite rods come out for big rivers and for ponds and lakes.

I have broken more graphite and fiberglass rods in fishing situations than I have broken cane rods. I try to be careful with all of them. I have fished with others who have put their rods on the ground and them accidently stepped on them. The bamboo rod survives, the graphite rod does not.

I was lawn casting a new (to me) slow to medium action bamboo rod, watched by my then seven year old granddaughter. She asked if she could try, and she was immediately casting as far and as accurately as I was. This might mean that a bamboo rod is easy for a beginner (or at least this beginner) to cast, or it might mean that after 57 years I still cast like a seven year old.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

rsagebrush, I agree with a lot of what you said above, except the part about bamboo being better for beginners. Looking back on my guiding days (long since past), I can’t imagine a more disastrous day than having a beginner client fish a bamboo rod. i’m talking western river guiding.

It takes way more skill to cast bamboo adequately than a fast carbon fiber rod. The reason all the rods these days are so fast is so that beginners can catapault with crappy technique a cast away from the boat to the bank, with a 9’ ridiculously fast rod, and maybe by day’s end, even manage one or two proper mends after having heard the guide yell “mend!” for 500th time that day.

If a beginner were to learn on bamboo, and practice practice practice, than he or she would certainly probably end up with better casting fundamentals, but nothing could make it more difficult for a beginner than to start with bamboo in the guide boat.

Its amazing to me how many so-called good casters fall apart when trying to cast a bamboo rod when I hand it to them. The ones that struggle the most it seems are the millenials that learned on a fast Sage or some other gun.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

RSalar wrote:

... Let's start with the basics of caring for a bamboo fly rod

.... Now lets consider casting a bamboo fly rod -- wouldn't you agree that it is easier for a beginner with poor timing to cast a graphite fly rod than it's bamboo counterpart? Have you ever taught someone how to cast? Maybe the average fly fisherman with average skills and only fishing short lines can cast both bamboo and graphite with equal proficiency, but if we step up the game and consider an expert caster, things change very quickly.

... Then there is playing the fish -- especially big, powerful fish that can easily break a bamboo rod -- you actually believe graphite and bamboo are equals in terms of the skill required?! Come on, this is not rocket science -- it's pretty obvious to anyone who has any fishing/casting experience whatsoever. It definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, takes more skill to fish with bamboo. PERIOD
I take care of all my rods (or any gear for that matter). I've been a FFF certified casting instructor since 1994.
But... I think you're right...

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

An amusing thread, for sure.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Brooks, well I guess when you use the guide special set up out of a drift boat which generally consists of a large strike indicator and a weighted fly (ies) a graphite rod for a newbie is certainly the way to go. It's not really casting after all just lobbing and bobber fishing.

I will stick with my medium fast rods are simply easier to cast for everyone and certainly for those with marginal or less developed skills. And there are no real special skills necessary to use a bamboo rod competently.

I fished a very slow glass rod today, a Hardy 71/2' Perfection glass, it took about an hour to really get into the groove, it's not an easy rod to cast until one picks up it's rhythm and definitely not a rod for drift boats.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

I've read all the responses and can't quite figure out why some folks are so upset at the question.

I doubt there's any sinister intent upon the part of the OP....what good could it possibly do for him? I don't care if he's secretly the head of whichever company is selling the most bamboo fly rods per year right now...it's just not going to do much one way or the other.

I think it's kind of an interesting question, but I view it with just that...interest. I don't care what the answer is, assuming there is one, but it's still kind of interesting.

If I owned a company of any size that was selling bamboo fly rods I'd probably be interested in knowing as much as possible about a typical customer if I wanted to ensure the future of the business. Sure, there would be a lot of variation on both sides, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be smart to know the general target audience.

If I were to hazard a guess at the typical profile (just focusing on the USA), I'd say white male, 40 - 70, income over $50K if still working, married, high school degree +, with 5+ years of fly fishing experience. But hey, that's just my impression.

I'm just glad there are lots of folks interested in bamboo rods and lots of people making/repairing them to keep the tradition going forward. I hope that when I'm a really old man and ready to sell my bamboo rods there will be "youngsters" eager to get them back on the water. :)

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I'll go along with male (but ladies are stepping up :)), 55-75, retired by choice at the appropriate time and, if not rich, at least has enough to purchase the "toys" (fly rods & gear, take a week or two a year on a "new" stream. He likes a taste o' bourbon or Scotch now and again, and an old or new "fishmobile"), uses hand tools when he has plenty of time - but finds no shame in using power tools when time is limited. Enjoys fishing by himself OR with old or new friends when the opportunity presents itself - but considers it a blessing when he's with his entire family on the water. He's involved in community groups to make a difference, also goes to bamboo conclaves, not because he's a newbie anymore, but because he enjoys the company of other men/women who enjoy some of the same things he enjoys. He lives as fully as possible every day, but knows there will come a day when he has to slow down - and he's not afraid of that. He's also a gentleman, respects others and cannot imagine any painting or building that is as gorgeous as a clear stream with trees crowding the banks, a gentle breeze and the singing of birds - rain or shine doesn't really matter. I mean, the fish are already wet.

Pat

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Best post yet! Thanks Pat for the crystal clarity of what mostly matters.
John :pipe

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Other than the scotch and bourbon, I think Pat hit it. :) :)

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

G-ManBart wrote:
11/10/21 20:38
I've read all the responses and can't quite figure out why some folks are so upset at the question.

I doubt there's any sinister intent upon the part of the OP....what good could it possibly do for him? I don't care if he's secretly the head of whichever company is selling the most bamboo fly rods per year right now...it's just not going to do much one way or the other.

I think it's kind of an interesting question, but I view it with just that...interest. I don't care what the answer is, assuming there is one, but it's still kind of interesting.

If I owned a company of any size that was selling bamboo fly rods I'd probably be interested in knowing as much as possible about a typical customer if I wanted to ensure the future of the business. Sure, there would be a lot of variation on both sides, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be smart to know the general target audience.

If I were to hazard a guess at the typical profile (just focusing on the USA), I'd say white male, 40 - 70, income over $50K if still working, married, high school degree +, with 5+ years of fly fishing experience. But hey, that's just my impression.

I'm just glad there are lots of folks interested in bamboo rods and lots of people making/repairing them to keep the tradition going forward. I hope that when I'm a really old man and ready to sell my bamboo rods there will be "youngsters" eager to get them back on the water. :)
99.9% on point. Definitely no sinister intent. Totally surprised at the emotional reaction to what is basically a marketing question. What are the demographics of a typical bamboo fly rod fisherman? Anyone who is about to spend money on advertising needs to know this in order to maximize the effectiveness of the advertising budget. The 0.1% that I disagree on is the average income level. I’d tend to think it’s higher than $50,000 — probably over $75,000. But after doing a Google search for “custom bamboo fly rod” I came across a company selling bamboo fly rods for under $500. I don’t know how they can do that. Most of the new bamboo rods from the major well known “companies” like Tom Morgan et al are 3 - 4k and $1500 would be on the low side. At that price point the rod maker is competing with top of the line graphite rods. Which is a very interesting choice for the fisher person. There is no doubt in my mind that a $1500 graphite rod from Orvis or other top tier rod maker will out cast a $1500 bamboo rod. (The tournament distance casting records prove this out.) So the buyer is choosing bamboo for another reason. He or she probably already owns every line weight and rod length graphite he/she needs and is looking for something different. A new challenge is definitely the reason some go to bamboo. Status maybe is another. Aesthetic appreciation— historic interest… Regardless of which of those reasons it is, they all tend to be reasons an experienced (& skill comes with experience) fisherman would have to buy high end bamboo. I too am happy that there is so much interest in modern bamboo fly rods. I think it’s a good thing in general and is why the original question is so interesting. Who are these people?
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

ibookje wrote:
11/10/21 13:37
RSalar wrote:

... Let's start with the basics of caring for a bamboo fly rod

.... Now lets consider casting a bamboo fly rod -- wouldn't you agree that it is easier for a beginner with poor timing to cast a graphite fly rod than it's bamboo counterpart? Have you ever taught someone how to cast? Maybe the average fly fisherman with average skills and only fishing short lines can cast both bamboo and graphite with equal proficiency, but if we step up the game and consider an expert caster, things change very quickly.

... Then there is playing the fish -- especially big, powerful fish that can easily break a bamboo rod -- you actually believe graphite and bamboo are equals in terms of the skill required?! Come on, this is not rocket science -- it's pretty obvious to anyone who has any fishing/casting experience whatsoever. It definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, takes more skill to fish with bamboo. PERIOD
I take care of all my rods (or any gear for that matter). I've been a FFF certified casting instructor since 1994.
But... I think you're right...
Thank you. I take of all my rods too but let me ask you this: let’s say you know you will be fishing in adverse conditions— say salt water fishing from a boat. There will be a few fishermen on the boat. The deck space is cramped and you know there will be times that you’ll be laying the rod down while the boat races towards the next school of fish. There is a good chance your rod is going to get a few bumps during the day. Which rod will you take? The beautifully varnished hand crafted $3000 bamboo or the $150 4 piece Reddington 9wt?

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

RSalar wrote:
11/14/21 05:47
Thank you. I take of all my rods too but let me ask you this: let’s say you know you will be fishing in adverse conditions— say salt water fishing from a boat. There will be a few fishermen on the boat. The deck space is cramped and you know there will be times that you’ll be laying the rod down while the boat races towards the next school of fish. There is a good chance your rod is going to get a few bumps during the day. Which rod will you take? The beautifully varnished hand crafted $3000 bamboo or the $150 4 piece Reddington 9wt?
Well, in my case, whenever we went striper fishing in the Chesapeake, I always took my 8' 6" 3 piece 9 wt bamboo rod and fished it hard on those stripers. A rod is made to be fished, not looked at.

Mark

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

For me I'm taking the $150 graphite rod. Salt is certainly the one place where graphite shines. Long casts, long days in usually windy conditions call for graphite in my book. The small Driftless trout streams in my area call for short, gentle casts, on thin tippet - tailer made for bamboo and fiberglass.

Each rod material has its place depending on conditions.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

RSalar wrote:
11/14/21 05:47
Which rod will you take? The beautifully varnished hand crafted $3000 bamboo or the $150 4 piece Reddington 9wt?
I'd take the rod that's best suited for the job.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”