Your Favorite Autographed Book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

tabrods406
Guide

Re: Your Favorite Autographed Book

Post by tabrods406 »

Not fishing but a true "american spirit" story. Douglas Corrigan, AKA "Wrong Way" Corrigan flew from CA to NY in 1938 intending to fly from there to Dublin Ireland. He was denied permission to do a transatlantic flight. He filed a flight plan to head back to CA and took off early on July 17, 1938. He was headed east and disappeared into the fog. One day later he landed in Dublin. His excuse was his compass was broken and he just got really lost. Really fascinating character. Life story here: https://www.historynet.com/the-adventur ... rrigan.htm

ImageImage

Tom

Southfork
Sport

Post by Southfork »

TROUT by Ernest Schwiebert
We Were Soldiers Once...And Young by Lt.Gen. Harold G. Moore

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Marty, that signed book by Valla makes me very envious!
Mike, what a treasure that book signed by one of my hero's Dave Whitlock!

I guess my list would be:
Classic rods & rod makers (M. Keane)
Trout (E. Schwiebert)
Dettes (Leiser & the Dettes)
Fly Fishing the Henry's Fork (M. Lawson)

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Not autographed to me but still pretty cool…

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

Paul Schullery is a good friend and prolific writer (I just counted 15 of his on one shelf; more elsewhere). We've fished in MT together several times. I think his book, "The Rise" is an important. But then, I'm biased. (Oh, and the "buoyant" comment is a reference to a description of my hair ("bouyant silver) by a lovely undergrad reporter from the university in Salt Lake City when she interviewed me for the school newspaper. Anglers All was in the local museum at that juncture. I got a LOT of ribbing about that one!)
Gary

JabaliHunter
Guide

Post by JabaliHunter »

Mine would probably be Tom McGuane’s The Longest Silence or Annie Proulx in Close Range: Wyoming Stories.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

I once picked up a first print of Forest Runes that had a handwritten letter by Geo Washington Sears(Nessmuk) folded in its pages
Here is the story
http://www.adirondack-guideboat.com/201 ... e-finding/

PENZZZ
Guide

Post by PENZZZ »

Ernest Schwiebert was a featured author at the New Jersey Fly Fishing Show some years ago, so I purchased The Compleat Schwiebert and lined up to have the book autographed. I quickly realized he was due to depart for a scheduled presentation. As he chatted with each person seeking an autograph, I felt there was little chance I’d get to him. But I did, and he asked me where I liked to fish. When I mentioned Penns Creek, he replied “I fished it last……”. I was a little perplexed by what he was saying until he smiled and handed the book back to me. Great encounter.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of
knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

PENZZZ wrote:
01/30/22 19:57
Now that's a fine inscription... :)

Althehackleman
Guide

Post by Althehackleman »

This is truly a wonderful subject. So many great stories with such superb books and authors.
So a bit of bragging. I have been fortunate to be able to stand with a microphone and talk for many years. That ability got me some fun experiences when I was younger, but now gets me some truly unforgettable experiences in later life. As a long term member of The Michigan Fly Fishing Club I have worked The Midwest Fly Fishing Expo for more than 30 years. During those years I have been truly honored to introduce many of our guest speakers. Between Gary Borger, Sylvester Nemes, Dave Hughes and many others, I have learned so much about our sport and little things that help improve the fun.
So every book by any of these folks is signed with very nice notes about our shared experience. There are too many to add pictures.
One sad note, Syl Nemes spoke at our show as his last ever speaking engagement. Those signed books hold a very special place in my library.
BTW, The Midwest Fly Fishing Expo will happen this year, the weekend of March 12th and 13th. And we will have some wonderful speakers again.

davemaine
Guide

Post by davemaine »

In 1982, when I was nine years old, I convinced my non-fishing parents to take me to Leen's Lodge on West Grand Lake in Maine so I could fish for smallmouth bass. It was a great trip. While we were there, Mr. Dave Whitlock arrived for a few days of personal time before he taught an LL Bean fly fishing school the following week. I was a worm-dunking kid, though I had a big, heavy fly rod that was given to me by an older woman in the neighborhood after her husband passed away. I knew basically nothing about fly fishing, but I "knew" it was the pinnacle of angling.

Mr. Whitlock was so gracious to me. He talked fishing with me and treated me like an equal. Upon checkout, I was given this book that Dave had signed and left for me.

I was fly casting not long after and soon put away my worm dunking for good.

Thank you Dave Whitlock! Kindness and class.

fishrising
Guide

Post by fishrising »

Don’t have a favorite one really, but here are 3 near the top of the list:

- Ben

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

davemaine wrote:
02/07/22 15:13
In 1982, when I was nine years old, I convinced my non-fishing parents to take me to Leen's Lodge on West Grand Lake in Maine so I could fish for smallmouth bass. It was a great trip. While we were there, Mr. Dave Whitlock arrived for a few days of personal time before he taught an LL Bean fly fishing school the following week. I was a worm-dunking kid, though I had a big, heavy fly rod that was given to me by an older woman in the neighborhood after her husband passed away. I knew basically nothing about fly fishing, but I "knew" it was the pinnacle of angling.

Mr. Whitlock was so gracious to me. He talked fishing with me and treated me like an equal. Upon checkout, I was given this book that Dave had signed and left for me.

I was fly casting not long after and soon put away my worm dunking for good.

Thank you Dave Whitlock! Kindness and class.
Love this story, kindness and class indeed!

Thanks much for sharing,
Kenneth

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

This is a very special book to me, written by a true historian and very talented rod builder,
and a really great friend.

Your rod collection needs this book.

PM me if you would like a copy direct from Mr Jeff Hatton.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

“A Modern Dry Fly Code”, autographed to me, and recovered in blue leather at the suggestion of Vince.

I don’t have photos on my phone.

PackerBob

Post by PackerBob »

I am grateful to have had Brian Chan guide me more than once. Not only a tremendous fisher but an absolutely terrific fellow.

Ron Larsen
Guide

Post by Ron Larsen »

My favorite autograph isn't a book but a signed lithograph: "Spitfire Crossing" by the avation artist Ted Williams and signed by Ted Williams: "The Kid", "The Splendid Splinter", "Teddy Ballgame".

Ron Larsen

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

I have just a couple of signed books, but the thing I really like is my Patagonia mesh vest that Yvon Chouinard signed on the back.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

No question. Several Dana Lamb books with personalized signatures.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

bamboo
Master Guide

Post by bamboo »

Bought this at Gloria Jordan's Fly Shop in Manchester , Vt. Nice chat with her too. Great memory.
bamboo...mike

Return to “Book Talk”