Your Favorite Autographed Book

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Your Favorite Autographed Book

Post by Hellmtflies »

Here's another one I have enjoyed over the years. With over 500 titles in house I almost forgot I had it. :)

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Signed by the authors and to whom it was credited to.

url=https://postimg.cc/7ff3zBnd]Image[/url]

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

No pictures , but my favorite books that are autographed are the Charles K. Fox trout books .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Tying Catskill-Style Dry Flies , Mike Valla
Everyone in the book , signed the book . Joan Wulff for Lee Wulff.
Special thanks to my friend Jerry Girard who dragged the book around for months.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

A friend, who had a second job working for an Orvis dealer, loaned me his copy of Marty Keanes' book. It sparked my interest in bamboo rods.

I bought my first bamboo rod from Marty a few years later, a Superfine that we could barely afford. Karen later gave me a copy of Classic Rods and Rodmakers for my birthday. It was a generous gift as we had just purchased our first house and money was really tight.

There's a good chance I'd have spent a lifetime fishing graphite if it wasn't for this photo:

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Loved dealing with Marty. He had an Orvis 7/4 I wanted bad. But, he refused to sell it to me until his catalog went out. I knew the rod wouldn't last two seconds once people saw it, so I called him about every day to see if the catalog had gone out yet. Finally, the day the catalog was shipped he agreed to sell me the rod.

Greg, that is a wonderful book to have.

Barry

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

I have an autographed copy of Joe Brooks classic TROUT FISHING, which Joe gave me the last day I fished with him on Nelsons Spring creek in September , 1972. Joe passed away the next day. The story of Brooks' impact on me in regard to the need to preserve and protect trout waters is contained in the movie "Finding Joe Brooks" which some of you may have viewed.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Is that photo from the last day you fished with him?

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

Yes.

Joe had a massive heart attack while fishing by himself at Nelsons the next day and did not survive it. I had departed early that next day to travel by car back to the east. We read about his death when we bought a NY Times in Kansas City.

I was one lucky young fella to have Joe take me fishing for a few days. His last days as it turns out. Younger folks may not have any idea of how influential Joe was in the fly fishing world in that era.

He and Mary stayed at the Island Resort in Livingston for the summers and fall. My wife and I were in a much delayed trip to the west, camping and fishing all over the NW.We splurged on a motel room at the Island Resort( long since gone). The Brooks heard our southern accents and introduced themselves and asked us to join them for coffee. Joe invited me to fish with him and introduced me to the then glitterati of the Livingston area fly fishing world. A couple of which have become lifelong friends. I was privileged to spend time with the Brooks. His insistence on protecting the resources really inspired me. In the photo I’m holding a Battenkill and Joe is holding a Garrison I believe. If you have not seen the movie on Brooks I would urge you to do so.

rgram
Guide

Post by rgram »

I have a few. Here are a couple I like.
I believe Schwiebert signed this for me way back when I would go to the Rockland show
Bob

Recurve1
Sport

Post by Recurve1 »

George Harvey had the greatest impact on my fly fishing and Mr. Harvey was just a great guy.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Bee wrote : Younger folks may not have any idea of how influential Joe was in the fly fishing world in that era.
Some of us get it... and like you we will help carry on his legacy.

That movie is one of the best I have ever seen on the subject of fly fishing.
I urge others to check it out.
http://joebrooksdocumentary.com/

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I must say what an impressive group of books are being presented here.
The little details...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Skeet1969
Guide

Post by Skeet1969 »

At the Fly Tying Symposium this weekend Igot to meet and hang out a little with legend Dave Whitlock, it wasn't really crowded. I told him how I remembered getting the "LL Bean Fly Fishing for Bass" book back in the late 80's and how much I liked it, and I was 52 now. He smiled at that, and told me he was 87 now. I purchased a new copy of his "Guide to Aquatic Trout Foods", and told him I realized how dog-eared my original copy was. He signed it in grand fashion for me, including a rainbow trout in his signature... check it out! 🙂
Mike B

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thought I'd add another that's meaningful to me. I grew-up in N.E. Ohio and hunted from an early age with my grandfathers. In the mid-1980s I started hunting ruffed grouse. I don't do things in halves, so it was a full immersion experience. I discovered artist & author George Bird Evans and began buying his wonderful self-published and self-illustrated Old Hemlock books as fast as he would release them. Every one of them is a gem. Wife Karen would call Kate Evans at their Bruceton Mills, West Virgina home to order them for me. They'd have long conversations mostly about kids, life and the famous Old Hemlock English setters, but never about hunting.

In November 1989 my employer moved us from Ohio to S.W. Pennsylvania and Karen gave me October Fever just prior to our move. I love the inscription; it reminds me of one of my last outings in Ohio, where I found myself in a large grove of glowing sugar maples, wading nearly knee deep through their golden leaves.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

In the mid-1970s my new wife and I took a belated honeymoon to include a FFF Conclave in Steamboat Springs, Colorado at which I met Ernest Schwiebert. He just had his 2-volume opus "Trout" published and there were many at the conclave lined up to get his signature on their new boxed sets.

In contrast, I decided to bring along my copy of his very first book, "Matching the Hatch" first published in 1955. Ernie got a real kick out of my choice. Later we had a drink, together with others, in the hotel lounge.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

GMflyf1sh
Guide

Post by GMflyf1sh »

All of my DANDA LAMBS, Gary Bogers, and Jerry Kustich

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

Among many . . . my most treasured are copies of Grouse Feathers and More Grouse Feathers autographed by Burton Spiller just a month or so before he passed away.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Hey Eric:

I only wish my copies of "Fishing Moments of Truth" and "Hunting Moments of Truth" were signed by you! ;)

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

If you want to send them, I'll be happy to sign 'em. Address is 10804 River Plantation Drive, Austin, TX 78747. Probably best to wait until the holiday shipping season has passed.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Thanks for your kind offer, Eric!

Scott
Flyman615

Return to “Book Talk”