Archibald Rutledge

An area where you can discuss books about angling, classic tackle, angling literature, your favorite authors, old and new, and any upcoming books you see of interest and of course all the classics as well.

Moderator: Whitefish Press

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Archibald Rutledge

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Just wondering if anyone else here has an appreciation for the works of Rutledge. Most of his outdoor writings are about hunting. If you enjoy books about Grouse hunting or old south buck hunting I can't recommend anyone better.

On the other hand he has some books not dealing with hunting, so have to be careful what you buy.

Barry

I just thought about his writings after a friend from the far north found me a like new copy of his wingshooting book.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Archibald Rutledge

Post by Shrimpman »

Anybody carrying the name Archibald Rutledge deserves serious consideration! ;)

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Wikipedia says: "Archibald Hamilton Rutledge (1883–1973) was an American poet and educator, the first South Carolina poet laureate from 1934 to 1973. He wrote over 50 books and many poems, usually about his hunting and life experiences in South Carolina."

If you wonder how a South Carolinian would know much about grouse hunting, his career was as an instructor at a boys academy in the hills of Pennsylvania. Grouse hunting was great when I started hunting there in the early 60's. I would have loved to have seen it thirty years earlier.

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

I have several of his books including the one you've pictured. Enjoyable writing from a particular period and area of the country.
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

My favorite quote about wild turkeys from Rutledge:

“”even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Return to “Book Talk”