The Turle Knot

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Dwight
Guide

Re: The Turle Knot

Post by Dwight »

I love knots that come straight off the hook for trout and steelhead! I favor the George Harvey Dry Fly Knot and an improved version for steelhead (and Atlantics if I ever get the chance). I always make sure I cover the sharp end of the eye with thread though because I’ve had it sever the knot if left exposed. That knot is exceptional for elk hair caddis if you allow that loop (to which Billems referred above) to flip/jump over both the hook eye and the elk “head.” The severing tendency I mentioned always left me wondering how folks successfully used a Turle with the bare neck on Catskill dries discussed above. I guess the answer maybe they didn’t?

azbamboo
Sport

Post by azbamboo »

When I was teaching myself to fly fish I tried different knots. Those knots all gave way when a fish took my fly until I tried the Turle Knot. Because I was self taught I didn't realize it should only be used on certain eye hooks. It is the only knot I have used for years. For whatever reason I found this knot the easiest to tie of all the different ones I tried.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

azbamboo wrote:
11/12/21 21:38
When I was teaching myself to fly fish I tried different knots. Those knots all gave way when a fish took my fly until I tried the Turle Knot. Because I was self taught I didn't realize it should only be used on certain eye hooks. It is the only knot I have used for years. For whatever reason I found this knot the easiest to tie of all the different ones I tried.
I have a new hero!

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

Why the hang-up on speed?

How long it takes to tie the knot is a minuscule portion of your fishing day.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

With fine tippets, I have trouble getting the end of the tippet through the gap between the hook eye and the twists when tying a clinch knot. I can waste a lot of time during a hatch changing flies if I use clinch knots. So I don't. I can tie a Davy knot in 15 seconds and a double Davy knot in 20 (I just timed myself).

I use Turle knots with up-eye salmon flies, and I might start using them with streamers (just turn the hook upside down). I can tie a Turle knot in 35 seconds (also timed).
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

I’ve used the Turle knot for about 55 years

Major Turle came up with the knot to match the new eyed hooks developed by HM Hall.

gaddis
Master Guide

Post by gaddis »

Instead of a Turle knot, I’ve always used a Tweed Clinch when I want a direct pull on a TDE fly. It’s certainly easier to tie. I believe I first got it from one of Art Lee’s articles or books.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”