Tippet Material Storage

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

orangescud
Sport

Tippet Material Storage

Post by orangescud »

What is your preferred method of storing tippet while you are fishing? THANKS

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Tippet Material Storage

Post by ibookje »

Tippet go ‘bad’ when exposed to UV and heat.

I use 100m spools so I use tippet for two or more (the less used diameters) seasons.

I keep my tippets in the small front pockets of my vest rather than in those fancy tippet holders dangling out side on vests, chest packs and sling bags.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Tippet Material Storage

Post by DrLogik »

Ditto what ibrookje said. I also date my spools and with a Sharpie (just in case).

I pair spools together with 4x/5x in one pocket and 6x/7x in another pocket. I buy my Froghair on 100 meter "Guide spools" directly from Froghair.

One thing that I try to avoid is anything hanging on the front of my vest. The only item I have are my nippers. I don't like the clinking hangers make and more importantly for me, much of my fishing is in wild, close-in small mountain streams with rhododendron canopy. Anything hanging on tends to get ripped from the vest.

When I'm fishing more wide open and familiar waters I take my Richardson chest box and I move the spools to the front tray.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Trout hunter stash tippet holder for me. Very compact doesn’t really dangle it is nestled in the middle of my pack vest out of the way. For trout I use all sizes, including half “x” sizes, from 4 x to 7x, so that’s 7 spools.

In off color water or if I need stronger tippet I use Rio Powerflex plus. I do not think it is as abrasion resistant as fluoro though and I’m convinced the fish can see it more easily so I don’t use it in clear water unless I really need a bit more strength. I use a loon T tippet holder for the Powerflex plus, cheap and short it’s a good one. 4 spools 4x to 7x.

The issue with keeping tippet in a pocket is sooner or later you are going to lose a spool. My tippet costs $20-$25 a spool. I don’t want to risk it. Plus it’s right there when you need it.

John

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

orangescud wrote:
11/15/21 07:26
What is your preferred method of storing tippet while you are fishing? THANKS
Peux tippet dispenser, stored in my fanny pack (Fishpond Blue River).

It's in the front pocket, under the flap. I usually don't bother closing the, rather awkward, stud button. I also sometimes forget to close the zippered, 'folding table' fly compartment after changing flies. Last season I apparently walked about half a mile along the stream with my pack hanging open like that, before meeting two hikers who commented on this. And you know what, after checking the bag, that Peux, my favorite tippet dispenser, was missing - must've fallen out at some point. So I hiked back down, and up, and down again, trying to retrace my steps as well as I remembered (the dispenser is just a small black thingy that could easily hide itself in the long grass and other bankside vegetation). I finally found it at a turnstile fence gate, where the stream crosses a road - the added movements to negotiate the turnstile probably caused the dispenser to get dislodged. It was lying at the base post of the turnstile - quite out in the open. Luckily nobody else (the trail along the stream sees it fair share of hikers during the summer season...) had noticed it, or at least bothered to pick it up...

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

Stroft is my preferred tippet material and I keep it in vest pockets away from the sun.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

If you want to splurge on bespoke tippet dispensers, check these out:

The Peux (Maybe the one Henkverhaar uses - actually pretty cool! - Yeah, I'd walk up and down the trail to find it too!):
https://en.peuxflyfishing.com/product-p ... -dispenser

The Centrix! (Wicked-cool design):
https://swisstackle.com/en/products/tip ... ntrix.html

I still have this Loop model that I bought probably 20 years ago. It was worthless but looked cool:
https://www.flytying.ru/item3768.html

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

The DR has amazing taste... wow.

Tempting tippet holders when I have no patience yet to fill a single one of those. Ugh.

That Centrix is uber cool.

Ari Hart image search - https://www.google.com/search?q=Ari+T.+ ... US820US820

((please be sure to click back to the forum))
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

As lovely as those Peux dispensers are, the simple Trout Hunter spools and holder block out UV just as effectively, there is no need to re-spool tippet (a few hundred meters of that seems a chore) and costs roughly $120 less.

The main drawback with the trout hunter system is once you have pulled tippet out it’s hard to put it back on because those keepers are flush with the spools.

FWIW I’ve never had tippet go bad from age. I have 20 year old Umpqua nylon and 30 year old maxima that is just fine. I use the Umpqua when fishing for small opportunistic fish because it’s cheap and it works fine. It makes no sense to use it on bigger fish when there are far superior strength tippets available.

John

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

The tippet I expect to use while on the water that day, in an easily accessible pocket of the vest. Other diameters, in the pack or an out-of the- way pocket of the vest. Like many others, I do date my spools with the purchase date... just so I can "blame" the age of the tippet when I tie a poor knot. External lanyards and hanging things just gets me tangled up during the day especially when pushing through willows and brush.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

DrLogik wrote:
11/17/21 21:19
If you want to splurge on bespoke tippet dispensers, check these out:

The Peux (Maybe the one Henkverhaar uses - actually pretty cool! - Yeah, I'd walk up and down the trail to find it too!):
https://en.peuxflyfishing.com/product-p ... -dispenser
Yep, that's the one ;-)
I still have this Loop model that I bought probably 20 years ago. It was worthless but looked cool:
https://www.flytying.ru/item3768.html
I had one, and actually liked it. But I lost it somewhere along the Cache la Poudre...

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

I've been using the Fishpond Headgate dispenser for about 5 years, but I sure do like the look of those enclosed modular units.

Mike1227
Sport

Post by Mike1227 »

This will probably not go over well with this crowd, but first, let me assure you that I only fish with a Hardy Marquis on my Leonard, though I'm considering a CFO.
I have two chest packs that have tippet storage built in. Up to 5 spools (I only use 4). I used a inexpensive vest for years, but a sailing buddy got me started on chest packs.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

DrLogik wrote:
11/15/21 08:51
I also date my spools and with a Sharpie (just in case).
started doing that, after realizing one year I'd broken off a bunch of fish on ten-year-old 6x.. stoopid.
Don't use 6x much, so have to keep track of that. 4x and 5x tends to get used fast enough that it's not a problem. In 3x and up in modern tippets, even after losing a lot of strength it's still too strong to break with a trout rod..

buy Stroft 100m spools of the 4x and 5x, put it on reused Orvis tippet spools, stored in the front zipper pocket of a Fishpond Guide shoulder bag.
3x, and 6x are in an interior pocket as they aren't often needed.

gclark
Sport

Post by gclark »

My Wood River bag has tippet storage slots (6) sewn into the front of the bag. Keeps them handy, but out of the way…..I carry 7x down to 2x.
Gary

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Smart bag holes Gary - I use a similar bag by Arapahoe I have had for 25 years

Here is the cutting edge Centrix from above :

" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

novisor12
Guide

Post by novisor12 »

Full size maxima spools wherever I can keep them. Usually two of them is enough.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I thought they all came in a storage container called a spool which I put in a ziplock unless I am fishing, then I put them in my pocket for quick access, usually 1 or two spools depending on my tippet needs. Less useless junk, more fishing.
I guess if I bought bulk I might consider a tippet dispenser but I have lots of empty spools lying around for that.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

rsagebrush wrote:
12/04/21 11:30
I guess if I bought bulk I might consider a tippet dispenser but I have lots of empty spools lying around for that.
I purchase bulk (Seaguar) and wind it onto tippet spools from previous purchases purchased before getting smart and buying in bulk.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Cross Creek
Master Guide

Post by Cross Creek »

I wish I could fish enough to need bulk tippet! I tend to only carry two sizes on any given day (using furled leaders), and usually stick them in my pockets, heavier on the left and lighter on the right. I actually long for those old flimsy, clamshell spools—wish I’d kept some empty ones for reuse. They were much thinner and lighter weight than anything on the market today, and certainly held enough for a day (more likely a season for me). At home, my tippet spools are stored in a dark, cool place.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”