Tippet Material Storage

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Brier549
Guide

Re: Tippet Material Storage

Post by Brier549 »

The “ Tippet Boss “ is my go to system. It has a built in cutter on each spool and you can refill the spools. It fits in the front pocket on a vest or can be attached at other points

JMQ4
Sport

Post by JMQ4 »

I primarily use an Orvis tippet storage box that I've had for a long time, particularly if I am using a vest. I recently bought one of the fishpond headgates and that I like too, but use it primarily with a lumbar pack.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I was going through some storage boxes in my garage and found my Loop tippet spool. I had a link to it earlier in this thread but here it is in the flesh. Made in Sweden but boy it's more of a pain than a help. Looks cool though.

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

BigTJ wrote:
11/15/21 09:00
Trout hunter stash tippet holder for me. Very compact doesn’t really dangle it is nestled in the middle of my pack vest out of the way. For trout I use all sizes, including half “x” sizes, from 4 x to 7x, so that’s 7 spools.

In off color water or if I need stronger tippet I use Rio Powerflex plus. I do not think it is as abrasion resistant as fluoro though and I’m convinced the fish can see it more easily so I don’t use it in clear water unless I really need a bit more strength. I use a loon T tippet holder for the Powerflex plus, cheap and short it’s a good one. 4 spools 4x to 7x.

I have used the Pacific vests, for more than 30 years, with the inside pockets for individual spools. They have a small Velcro tab at the top of each pocket, and I mark them with a permanent Sharpie, 3x-8x. I have never lost a spool.

The issue with keeping tippet in a pocket is sooner or later you are going to lose a spool. My tippet costs $20-$25 a spool. I don’t want to risk it. Plus it’s right there when you need it.

John

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”