Biggest baddest fish you’ve landed on a bamboo fly rod

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Re: Biggest baddest fish you’ve landed on a bamboo fly rod

Post by barnesspecial6 »

Congrats Penzzz, very nice healthy looking Brown the Fishing Gods were goin your way, first day with a beautiful fly rod that you assembled/completed, doesn’t get any better than that! Thanks for sharing.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Yes Jeff, a pair of 18 inch browns on a Hendrickson hatch with a 4 wt is fabulous. It was karma rewarding you!

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

That’s a beauty! And a great story to go with it
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

PENZZZ
Guide

Post by PENZZZ »

Thanks guys, a better outcome would have been seeing Rich catch one or both of these fine trout. Not to be on this day though, but hopefully he’s had a few opportunities to fish this challenging stream again. Always a pleasure to hand someone a fly and watch him catch a trout.
"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of
knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Caught the Brown on my Leonard 50 fishing my way off the river in the evening. Could not see the fish until I went to net it. Real glad it worked out ok.
The Rainbow I caught one fall morning. I thought I was playing it ok. That is until my Abrams broke under the first ferrule. Broke the tip too in the brief moment it took to realize my rod broke. That rod was hands down on of my best rods to fish with on the water. Bad luck rod for me however. Any thing that could break a rod broke part of that rod. When the rod fund is comfortable again I will certainly look for another.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

This isn’t my largest because it was a lean 9.9lbs but it was mean because the line-burning first run loosened the hinge at the ATH reel making it swing like a crazy pendulum constantly smashing my fingers the next few minutes of nail biting fight… safely released back into the sunken log it lorded over… Rod: MK Spittler Quad 8’ 2/2 4wt.

Next is my largest Temensis Peacock at 11plus lbs which made my knees so weak I fell down a few times trying to Boga the brute while on the slippery grass bank still wet with early morning dew….released to grow larger ( the largest caught since is 19lbs) . Rod: Brandin Spliced joint Quad 8’3” 4wt, reel Bogdan Trout Black Anodised. We are not allowed to be in the water and as such had to lift the fish, take a quick snapshot and back into the water.

Arthur

checch
Guide

Post by checch »

Only a 20 " brown on a one piece 6' 3wt Green River, #14 orange and partidge. last October in 8 inches of flat water. Cheers,Chet

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

Cool — I didn’t know about that company.

From the WSJ:

WHEN ERNEST Hemingway’s well-worn steamer trunk containing his fly-fishing gear disappeared from a train bound for Sun Valley, Idaho, in 1940, the loss was so crushing that the author never again waded in the shallows. Instead, he concentrated his angling efforts far offshore, catching record-breaking pelagics like sailfish and marlin.

The trunk’s disappearance also “shook” the family, said his great-grandson Patrick Hemingway Adams, who is helping launch the Hemingway Inshore Collection of rods, reels, inshore boats and...
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

11’ Falcon of Redditch, JW Young reel

adkfan
Guide

Post by adkfan »

8.5’ Heddon 14/ 2.5F, my back yard

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

One of the great things about fishing is that you can use really small and light tackle that makes catching small fish seem big. Using a 5’ 2wt to catch 6” brookies from a small mountain stream can be challenging and fun. And then when you hook into a 20” rainbow with that same little rod it turns a great fishing experience seem like a world record catch. With that in mind I’d have to say my biggest baddest fish I’ve ever landed on a bamboo fly rod was a 5 lb salmon on a 7 1/2’ 5wt. It was a difficult fight and very rewarding,

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

LeeB wrote:
11/22/21 19:47
26" Missouri River brown, on a Walton Powell 8'3" - 5 wt. and a Thompson 100 reel.

Nice fish! let's hear the story!!

Pete Collin
Sport

Post by Pete Collin »

My biggest brown trout was a 16 pound female I got on a Garrison 8'9" 8 weight. It was a very fast action day where the spawning Lake Ontario fish were grabbing every good drift.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

This bugger was a bada$$ and crazy. Fought like he was a full 10"s. Stripped me to the backing and bent the rod to the grip. Had me on my knees once the battle was over. :) He had no idea he was only a little bugger. What a champ!

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
That's about the size I usually catch!

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Big 'ol carp. On a deer hair mulberry fly.

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

Hey Rob,

In McHenry County there were a bunch of small streams packed with bluegills, bass, and huge carp.Back in the day, we would fish mulberry deer hair flies near the overhanging mulberry trees. My Dad and I would cast them just upstream of the tres and let them drift though. Those carp would make our Pflueger 1895 1/2 reel scream. It was way fun. Thanks for reminding me.
Cheers, Alan
PS Your rod is still catching trout in Chile.

Bubbleline
Sport

Post by Bubbleline »

Hmm, I currently do live in McHenry Co and will try out a Mulberry fly for carp this Spring!

Holdover
Guide

Post by Holdover »

I've shared here before...5-6 # rainbow. Vintage rod of unknown origins. It's a solid 5wt but felt like a toy with this fish.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”