pulling out of a dive

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

tapermaker
Master Guide

pulling out of a dive

Post by tapermaker »

last yr at this time i mentioned i was retiring . What i neglected to say is, at 586lbs ,and 61 yrs old ,i was at a point i was too sick to work . my dr. said i was needing to go on insulin ,as my glipezide, Which was dumping time release insulin around the clock ,wasnt cutting it. To make a long story short , i told my dr. to give me half a yr to lower my 13 A1c. through diet changes .I researched Diabeteis and came to the conclusion that my best way to get off the one way train wreck that is diabetes was to forego the insulin dumps 24 hrs a day.i started a 42/6 hr intermittent fasting . i started only consuming only 40 carbs from veg. . fats and protein made up the rest . I eat about 2500 cal. during the 6 hr time frame . within 6 mo. i was at 400lbs .yesterday i had my end of yr physical i am currently just under 300lbs and i feel better than i have in 20 yrs. my count is 7.1 and that is w/o medication ..My doctor says i am currently reversing my bloodsugar levels with diet alone .The only reason i am bringing this up is i have felt so good, i wanted to officially say I am putting off retiring for now. many of the worst symptoms i had developed have subsided. I guess i aint finished yet.

tyghguy
Guide

Re: pulling out of a dive

Post by tyghguy »

Hey Dennis. Glad to hear the good news. Sounds like you are back on track. Happy Thanksgiving Jerry

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Dennis, the news of your improving health is great to hear. As someone who has a family history involving diabetes and recently had a good friend in his 50’s die from it’s complications, it’s very welcome to know you’ve taken this seriously and made important adjustments to correct it. I hadn’t realized that health issues were central to your previously announced retirement.

Congratulations to getting back to the bench and pursuing what you enjoy and putting your skills to work once again. I wish you all the best moving forward.

Adrien

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Glad to hear you are doing better Dennis! Your drive to change your life and health is truly commendable. With you coming out of retirement, maybe I won't have to learn to do my own scarfs! LOL!
Previously known as bamboocollector11

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Glad to hear you gettin back at it Dennis - here is to more and more straight sticks!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

You either like cane fly rods - or you don't.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Amazing success and will power !! Glad you could do it and told us of your success.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

Thanks much for keeping us updated on your health, and here's wishing you all very best, Dennis, it looks like you're on the right path to total recovery.

If there's anything I can do for you from across the big pond, please feel free to holler!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Kenneth

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

Hey Dennis,

I am glad to hear that you are doing well.

Cheers,

Alan

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

Good for you, Dennis!

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Good to hear. Keep it going.
Vern

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Dennis

If you can bottle that focus, that resolve, I'll buy a gallon. Weekly.
Your turnaround is remarkable, to put it mildly. Great to hear a story like that.
Welcome back from the edge.

oneculm
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oneculm »

Dennis I have made it a point to no longer post on the forum but this is an exception. Having been recently diagnosed as a diabetic you are an inspiration. dave m

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

:skoal

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Great to hear Dennis!

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Dennis, blessings on your road to recovery. We all must journey a road to recovery. Thank you for sharing. Jed
Fefferfly

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Good for you Dennis!!!
Dennis

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Wow....very impressive! That's really one heck of an accomplishment and you have every reason to be proud!

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Dennis--

I, too, did not realize your retirement decision was health related. First, I am overjoyed to hear that you have reversed your health and your outlook through commitment to conquer your health challenges, personal research, painstaking and remarkable discipline, and -- as Jeff notes -- resolve that we many of us could only hope to emulate! Congratulations on your fantastic progress! I am extremely happy that you feel so good, and I wish you the best as you continue your incredible journey! Secondarily, I am also pleased to learn that you are un-retiring. That's fantastic news to the many of us on this Forum who have benefitted from you amazing craftsmanship over the years in extending the life of our vintage classic rods. I have a feeling you will be hearing from me before long! Welcome back from the brink!

Rupert

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Well done sir! Keep going 'till ur a skinny mah!

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Nice to hear of your amazing accomplishment!

Return to “Members Corner”