pulling out of a dive

A place where members can introduce themselves, tell us a little bit about themselves and their passions. Please feel free to link your personal website, blog or tell us about any service you offer.

Moderator: Titelines

sodbank
Master Guide

Re: pulling out of a dive

Post by sodbank »

Dennis , That’s great news ! Congrats on you improving health and your un- retirement!
Best wishes on continued good health and success.

Doug

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

Fantastic news Dennis! Glad you are getting healthier, good luck in your journey. Tight Lines!

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Dennis, congratulations on your accomplishment.

poolhopping1
Guide

Post by poolhopping1 »

good to hear. more power to you.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Really glad to hear it Dennis. Keep up the good work and hope to keep hearing from you in the years to come.

-Bill

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Dennis,
This is great news. I am bowled over by your accomplishment and your willpower. Keep it going -- you have a lot of admirers pulling for you.

Lon

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Amazing and I for one thank you for giving me hope. A short time ago I hit 368 on doc's scale. My talking scale would just say, "One person at a time please". My biggest problem is not so much my daytime eats it's that I can't sleep well at night and have a tendency to keep snacking on something sometimes several times a night. I have tried to keep this night eats down and last trip to doc was 334. Not great but tending in right direction. Between my shattered femur which put me on a walker and plain lack of motivation blaming Covid on not leaving house I need to begin to get some walker walking time in to keep going right direction.

Rio Grande King
Guide

Post by Rio Grande King »

Outstanding news! Your determination and will power speak for themselves. Well done.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Your monumental willpower is inspiring to say the least! I've come to love fishing my one of a kind rod built on the blank you made for me and I'm sure that your talents were missed and getting back into the swing of it is Great news!

2wtt
Sport

Post by 2wtt »

Over the summer Dennis made me a 7'9" hollowed Cascade blank, 2/2 with fiberglass ferrules and more recently he brought me a solid 8013 2/2 with fiberglass ferrules, really nice blanks that I'm excited to finish & fish. Thank you Dennis for providing me with many different tapers, may your willpower & discipline keep you at it for decades to come.
Paul

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Your courage, Dennis, in making your own decision to research this and decide to try a strict and self-imposed regimen to effectively save yourself is remarkable. Congratulations to you and I, among many, will not forget your example. It is remarkable.

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

Dennis,
This is a big f------ deal. It's an accomplishment that all of us here will keep in mind when we slip out of the strait and narrow in our many and varied ways. Thank you for sharing the story and standing for your own health, which is important to you and a lot of folks who depend on you. If you ever need to check in on whether it is worth doing--check with me; it is.
All the best,
--Lindsay

Holland
Master Guide

Post by Holland »

Well, I've got to say that is the best news I've heard in quite a while. Thanks for sharing Dennis.

Geno

Bamboo River
Guide

Post by Bamboo River »

Keep up the outstanding work till you reach your goal.

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

That is really great news Dennis!

As others have said and I am sure you now know...will power is certainly the key. Without a doubt, changing eating habits is a tough thing to do.
Just right at 10 years ago I was deathly ill and was diagnosed with diabetes. I started out with a chest cold and it went downhill from there.
My body just couldn't fight the infection due to my diabetes. My chest/lung infection was bad enough that it got into my blood through my lungs.
I nearly died. Good medical treatment got me fixed up.
They put me on insulin, a strict diet, and exercise. It scared me enough to get on the straight and narrow path. Now my A1C numbers are great. I lost a bunch of weight and I generally feel better. But the will power was the key. They have also taken me off of insulin so now I just have oral medication.

Stay at it Dennis. Keep counting carbs and calories. Do a bit of exercise if possible. I found that even just a little exercise (even just a bit of walking) was a great benefit. Going from an A1C of 13 to 7.1 is pretty amazing. It sounds like you're well on your way to whipping this thing.

Brian

Salar4me
Guide

Post by Salar4me »

This is fantastic news! You built me a hollowed 8064 3/2 blank recently in your wind down phase. Not surprised at all that someone who has the dedication to produce works of art in grass has the will to make such important health/lifestyle changes! Inspirational indeed! Happiest of holidays!

PezVela

Post by PezVela »

Keep at it Dennis, and maybe we'll get a little fishing in together next year. Thanks for building a set of blanks for me last week! Beautiful work as usual.

flyslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyslinger »

Dennis, that's amazing. I'm so happy to hear of your accomplishment. Congratulations, and keep up the great work.

Dirk
"Always drink upstream from the herd."

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

Dennis, I'm proud of you. You have great courage to do what you have done. You have great talent that must keep on. Your friend Joe

dder
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by dder »

Just seeing this now, Congrates Dennis ,Really great news, Think of you kindly every time I fish one of the blanks you've built for me, your 3 peice 4wt is my all time favourite rod and gets most all of my small stream fishing done,love that taper. Keep at your diet and you,ll have many years ahead of you. All the best.
Daryl

Return to “Members Corner”