Gus Nevros Sales

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

carl otto
Master Guide

Gus Nevros Sales

Post by carl otto »

I saw 2 Gus Nevros rods sell in the past couple weeks in the low one thousands. The purchasers really made out like bandits, to say the least. Gus's rods belong up there in recognitions with any of the best. Circumstances of his quiet character did not promote his work broadly and no one ever wrote a book about him or included him in a book, which is a shame. By his own admission, he produced just under 300 carefully wrought rods in his career. In his last years he was getting in excess of $3,000 for a rod. There are those of us on this forum who knew Gus much better than I. I am reaching out to you in a effort to spur the creation of a show of his work perhaps at the Catskills Fly Fishing Museum in the future, perhaps by the 2023 Rod Gathering?

Anyone interested in assisting? Let's do this right. At the level Gus would work at, in his honor. I would hope this show could include a good representation of his rods on kind loan from us all. At the opening a martini toast raised high to the Greek!

Any takers?

Contact me at carl@wanigasrodcompany.com

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Gus Nevros Sales

Post by adrien schnee »

The one you have for sale on your website is a beauty Carl. All of Gus’s rods I’ve seen in person or in photo have been very finely executed. He was a great craftsman.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Adrien:

That rod sold years ago. No one should construe this effort as any sort of self promotion or sales tactic. This is about honoring and gaining the proper recognition for a great contributor to our craft.

Carl

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Can we start by displaying some photos on this thread? Maybe even change the title or start another thread. Would be a great way to archive them unless there is another Photobucket meltdown...

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Let's start;

Here is my personal 8'6", 4/2/2, 5/6 WT., built with two mids. Going to school with a Nevros.

The Greek's rod info on the butt:

The turned bloodwood King and Queen ferrule plugs. Note how the brass plug center pin comes up to the conical finial at the tip of the male plugs:

The in your eye one thread wrap:

Three intermediate wraps between each guide evenly spaced per the guide spacing AND reducing the number of threads in each wrap as one graduates up to the tip to keep the proportions proper:

No air in his wraps:

Gus's gold plated initial medallion on the reel seat butt. The reel seat wood, what else, olive wood from Greece:

His heavy weight rod bag, with rubber ferrule pulling pads in their sewn in pockets (thank you Ruth).

His cap and ring reel seat, with a proper thin flexing ring ("No need Carl ever for a screw seat. The ring flexes tight to the reel seat and can never come off."). Note the grip taper transitioning into the wood reel seat spacer with enough cork in the front to allow the ring to pull the reel foot snug into the cork.

His no blemish finish. And so many other thoughtful considerations. The rod, cast either a 5 weight or 6 weight depending on the mid with all the finise' one should expect from a quility rod designer.

Best,

Carl

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Carl, it was a compliment to one of Gus’s fine rods and a head’s up for others to check it out. There is no indication that rod sold years ago, it’s in your current listing of used rods. You titled this thread “ Gus Nevros Sales “ and your Wanigas listing is the only one of Gus’s rods I thought was presently available.

Gus’s work does certainly deserve greater recognition.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Adrien, I thought the same.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

carl otto wrote:
12/02/21 11:09
Adrien:

No one should construe this effort as any sort of self promotion or sales tactic.

Carl
I can see why it came across that way.

John

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

I am hesitating to post on this thread with this veteran group, but I would say that I did not construe Carl's original post as a marketing scheme or Adrien's as a negative / jab comment.

Also, Carl's statement did not lead me to think about dealer prices, but I might be naive. I thought right away that the big auction site was the vehicle for the sales referenced. If there are any reputable dealers selling this quality rods, please, PM me. :)

Agree that a separate thread with just praise to the maker is the best path.

Tight Lines

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Gus was a great guy and made very good quality rods. I have quite a number of pictures of him with some other gents long-gone, as well as a number from when he visited the old Rivergate. I was a high school kid, maybe early college. His rods appeal for their quality craftsmanship and details; some may find them a bit garish or overwrought, the main reasons why I think they never are in that much demand. A couple sold recently that were underpriced, ‘tis true. More due to poor valuations than indicative of “going price”. They are relatively scarce, which drives the prices more than anything. Threads like this one help. I was never that attracted to their aesthetics, and since I never speculate with rods unless I really gravitate toward them, I was never seriously in the Nevros market. I did have some other dealings with Gus, and he had some fine sticks from other makers, that’s for sure. I was good friends with a gent from CT who had quite a few Nevros rods, so did get a chance to look at and cast a few 30+/- years ago.....

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

FWIW, a couple/3 more Nevros rods are currently being offered at more typical price points.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

I agree Creakycane, although still undervalued for what they are/represent, I think these are closer to what Gus's work should be valued at. Future efforts will make this much clearer to the market place.

Best,

Carl

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”