Idaho advice

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

red 1
Master Guide

Idaho advice

Post by red 1 »

Working n Pocatello Idaho. I will have Sunday off. If you had a day and were willing to drive what would you do?
I am inclined to drive to Yellowstone National Park, to kick some river rocks and take a few photos, possibly hike up a creek. I have no fishing gear, so unless there is a rental shop within driving distance it will mostly be a sight seeing day.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

tabrods406
Guide

Re: Idaho advice

Post by tabrods406 »

red 1 wrote:
12/03/21 14:31
Working n Pocatello Idaho. I will have Sunday off. If you had a day and were willing to drive what would you do?
I am inclined to drive to Yellowstone National Park, to kick some river rocks and take a few photos, possibly hike up a creek. I have no fishing gear, so unless there is a rental shop within driving distance it will mostly be a sight seeing day.
The only road open in the Park is Mammouth to Cooke City. Everything else is closed for the winter.

Tom

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Thanks Tom. That’s Great Advice. lol

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

Go to or call Jimmy's All Seasons Anglers in Idaho Falls and ask for advice. They are very knowledgeable and helpful about the area. S. Fork of Snake, lower Henry's Fork are possibilities. Yellowstone is not.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

YNP is closed to fishing until next May.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

It will mostly be a sighting day. Going to hopefully use it to scout out places to return too when I am not working 12 hr days.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

It will mostly be a sighting day. Going to hopefully use it to scout out places to return too when I am not working 12 hr days.

Dirty Harry

Post by Dirty Harry »

+1for Jimmy's

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Ft. Hall Reservation access/permit on Snake above American Falls res and fishing the section below American Falls can be real good and close to Pocy.
Definitely call Jimmy’s for advice.

red 1
Master Guide

Re: Idaho advicez

Post by red 1 »

Thanks Everyone. I will them a call.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

Getting to the north entrance of Yellowstone Park from Pocatello is a long haul ~ 5 1/2 h one way. You may want to consider going to Jackson and do some sightseeing in Teton National Park. I believe part of the park stays open in the winter. Jackson is a cool town to hang out in for an afternoon.

3creeks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 3creeks »

I literally just walked in the door after driving home from a week of work in Sun Valley, where the weather was unseasonably warm and I'm kicking myself for not taking ANY fishing gear. With the shorter days I'm not sure when I would have had time but I'm sure I would have tried if I had it. Pocatello isn't THAT far from Sun Valley.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Jackson and theTeatons it is

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

May I suggest an alternative (if there is access)? Head southeast from Pocatello to SE Idaho or NE Utah and try to track down some Bonneville Cutthroat. When I was at the TU National meeting in SLC in the mid 2000s their conservation tour included a trip to view a BCT restoration project...absolutely gorgeous fish and a life list species if you haven't caught one prior.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

cdmoore wrote:
12/04/21 16:10
May I suggest an alternative (if there is access)? Head southeast from Pocatello to SE Idaho or NE Utah and try to track down some Bonneville Cutthroat. When I was at the TU National meeting in SLC in the mid 2000s their conservation tour included a trip to view a BCT restoration project...absolutely gorgeous fish and a life list species if you haven't caught one prior.
Cdmoore. That’s a good idea too. Cutthroat trout are something spectacular. This is mostly a recon day for the next time I am out here. I am looking at a map now and it looks like I am so close to places on my life list, the Tetons, the Wind River Range, the Henry’s Fork, Yellowstone all I see are rivers and ranges. I could go blind looking at a map, throw my finger down and anywhere it lands I would be happy poking around. Really there is so much out here for an outdoor enthusiast to do and see.
Jackson seems like I could make it out there see a lot on the way and have time for some exploration.
I thought about the Sawtooth area too but I may be out here next year for work and I think my honey could make that trip and I will save it for her.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

A little off the topic but if you are back in Sun Valley again check out High Desert Sports, www.highdesertsportsidaho.com, in Hailey. They are a more generalized sporting goods store with emphasis on archery and hunting but have great selection of local flies. Price on flies are super, much more reasonable than "snooty" shops" in Ketcham : ).

Tom

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Post by JohnMD1022 »

tabrods406 wrote:
12/05/21 11:47
A little off the topic but if you are back in Sun Valley again check out High Desert Sports, www.highdesertsportsidaho.com, in Hailey. They are a more generalized sporting goods store with emphasis on archery and hunting but have great selection of local flies. Price on flies are super, much more reasonable than "snooty" shops" in Ketcham : ).

Tom
Second the motion.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Funny this resurrected almost a year later.
I live in Idaho. High Desert Sports is a great archery shop, with a video target range in the basement. It is not a flyshop, and well-tied pertinent flies are not in it’s ‘bullseye’.

If you’re spending the time and money to fish around Ketchum, for really nice flies, try Silver Creek Outfitters, in the past, one of maybe four(?) shops in the world to have hand-tied flies by Rene’ Harrop; or Lost River Outfitters: the two owners guide on Silver Creek relentlessly and offer first class patterns; and Picabo Anglers, which is on Silver Creek, with great flies and literally instant knowledge of what is hatching.

But if you want really good info on bows, arrows, bow set-ups, High Desert Sports is a great place.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”