Most you've spent on a rod?

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Most you've spent on a rod?

Under $1,000
31%
$1,000 to $2,500
37%
$2,500 to $5,000
24%
$5,000 to $7,500
5%
$7,500 to $10,000
1%
$10,000+
1%

Total votes: 227

JohnMD1022
Master Guide

Re: Most you've spent on a rod?

Post by JohnMD1022 »

PYochim wrote:
12/05/21 20:57
steeliefool wrote:
12/05/21 19:08
And folks roll their eyes at soulless graphite rods topping a grand now!
What is "soulless" about them? I get sick and tired of the derogatory comments made toward high end graphite rods and large arbor disc drag reels. These rods and reels use the latest technology and materials and are made to tolerances a lot tighter than the "classic" reels of old. I know a guy who got crap at a bamboo rod get-together for having a large arbor Ross reel on his cane rod. He was told that it disrespected the tradition.

It's products like this that are selling and keeping the doors open on our favorite fly shops, keeping the sport alive.
And perhaps that is what sells because, in large part, there is nothing else available.

My local shop has 3 cane rods on display, 2-3 glass rods (because he is an Orvis dealer), and the rest...

He is a bit better on reels because he likes traditional reels.

rosc78

Post by rosc78 »

Spent $1750 on a Sweetgrass Mantra--couldn't be happier. Not sure if I would do it again--at least for a while!!!

gaf
Sport

Post by gaf »

Never thought I would report I spent $4350.00 on a rod but that is what I did recently. That may be bested next month if Marc Aroner has my Spring Creek completed. I can say I have no regrets and I am lucky to have a very understanding wife. There are far worst ways to spend your money.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

LoL, when I was looking at spending more $500 on a rod, I decided to get into making my own. After 20 years I could have bought a whole stable of Payne's for what I have spent on rodmaking, but it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun.

George

Post by George »

One hundred Canadian dollars on an Allcocks of England Whippet (8'6" 5wt split cane). That rod, which I find beautiful, caught six fish on my very first evening this past summer. I may have overpaid at $100, but the fish did not notice at all! And it was a lovely evening angling in the Ottawa River at Remic Rapids near Ottawa, Ontario. I am just glad to have it and it is perfect.

My other rod, an H&I Governor (9' 6wt. split cane), is a second runner up at $80. It is a joy to cast, although quite basic, but I like that. The poor man's rod. I may have overpaid for that one too, although it has two good tips, which makes up for the measurable less craftsmanship in this rod compared to the Allcocks, which is fairly fine.

Since I enjoyed the Whippet rod so much, I recently matched it with a Hardy Perfect reel 3 3/8, having a nice milky agate line guide, as well as a good Brady combination creel bag.

So far, several bass in my basket with these rods. Trout yet to come..

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Totally agree. Why should I care what someone chooses to spend on a rod, reel, vehicle,…?

I suspect though that GManBart is a shill member established by my wife in hopes of me indicating how much I’ve spent on a rod. So “GManBart”, as I’ve told you, I never go beyond my $250 max. 😉

-Dwight
carl otto wrote:
01/03/22 11:51
I am at a loss to understand the purpose of this thread. What does it matter how much you personally wish to spend on a bamboo fly rod. …

Carl

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Hmm, yeah, not going there....... ::)

MKsurfer

Post by MKsurfer »

Just picked up a 6’8 Menscer 3 weight for $1100. I’m lucky also to have an understanding wife! ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

As I make this post on December 14, 2022, one Bitcoin (a series of electronic digits without physical form) is valued at $17,803. So I don’t think spending $2000 of a beautiful and useful bamboo fly rod is out of line.

Cheers,

Ron

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

One wonders that any crypto currency that exists only somewhere in the ether can be worth anything at all, especially in light of the FTX fiasco. But then one also wonders, in light of the current inflation, what exactly the "full faith and credit" of the US government is worth.

TFHough
Sport

Post by TFHough »

$1,400. I saw the post, sent the $, then thought about what I just did, and whether it was wise. It was for an Edwards #40- 7' quad that finished my Edwards quad set; #40- DT3, #42- DT4, #50- DT5, #25-WF6/7, as I cast them. The seller listed it as a 5wt, however, my intuition and collection told me that this was easily a 4 for me. How sweet when I lawn cast it and settled on the DT3. Wise, indeed.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

dshx wrote:
10/18/22 14:26
Totally agree. Why should I care what someone chooses to spend on a rod, reel, vehicle,…?

I suspect though that GManBart is a shill member established by my wife in hopes of me indicating how much I’ve spent on a rod. So “GManBart”, as I’ve told you, I never go beyond my $250 max. 😉

-Dwight
carl otto wrote:
01/03/22 11:51
I am at a loss to understand the purpose of this thread. What does it matter how much you personally wish to spend on a bamboo fly rod. …

Carl
No, I'm very much my own person, but I can appreciate the folks who stick to such a strict spending limit, so good for you!

Unlike Carl, I'm at a loss to understand why some folks think every thread has to have a "purpose". Sometimes it's no more complicated than thinking "I wonder where my personal price pain limit is compared to others?" I don't care what anybody else spends, but I do find it interesting....and based upon the results, it would seem others do as well.

As with every other thread on a forum, people are free to ignore anything they don't find interesting. What's baffling is when people post in a thread on a topic they don't find interesting just to criticize the topic.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

MKsurfer wrote:
12/12/22 01:27
Just picked up a 6’8 Menscer 3 weight for $1100. I’m lucky also to have an understanding wife! Image
It really does help! :)

archt
Sport

Post by archt »

My first Bob Summers rod was $400 in the late eighties; my second (also recommended by Bob) was an 856 for $600 or so. My last, a used Midege 6'-4" was $3,000. All were bargains: Bob makes wonderful rods and I learned to fly fish at Gates Au Sable Lodge. I would not trade any of them.

archt

liketofish
Guide

Post by liketofish »

Rod cost things to consider--

1. It takes 30 to 40 hours to make a rod. The consequences (to the builder) of a mistake are extremely high. Plumbers make $80/hour, lawyers make $250 to $750. How much should a rod maker make per hour?

2. If you are still working, how many hours of your work are you willing to spend for a fly rod? Should a rodmaker make more or less than you?

3. A car or any electronic equipment loses value fast, and in many cases, isn't much more than a necessity that's not particularly fun to use, butchoo gotta. A really good bamboo rode GAINS value, and is a pleasure to look at (would you pay $10 to see, for example, the last pre-fire Leonard?)...to cast (would you pay $10 to be able to cast some rod out there that you don't own?)...and to fish with (if you didn't own a cane rod but had to rent either a cane or a graphite rod for a day, and the graphite rented for $15/day...how much would you pay to fish a really nice cane rod for a day?)

I'm not trying to drive home any point other than...bamboo rods are bargains. When I was fifteeen in 1969, I bought an Orvis Midge with money I made doing odd-jobs...for $135. I still fish it. I bet I make less than 80 percent of the readers here, but I wouldn't sell that rod for $4,000. Bamboo rods are bargains! Support all the makers! Don't try to justify? Sell stuff you don't care about to fund your next cane rod!

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”