tunafart
Master Guide

***_BambooBash22 Central_***

Post by tunafart »

Announcing:
BambooBash22
21, 22 & 23 April 2022
in Townsend TN
Yes, friends . . . It's REALLY ON once again!
And it will again be HQ'd at: Docks Motel [865/448.2234] off US321 in Townsend, Tennessee
{and if you don’t yet have a room reservation, STOP READING NOW, call them and ask for Karen … tell her you're with The Bash}

~On the banks of the Little River, and at the
'quiet back doorstep' of Great Smoky Mountains National Park~
The BambooBash + April + Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park is one of those epic Great Combinations that just can't be beat,
and we’re finally back in full force after a two-year Covid hiatus!

But first:
Please note this One Time Only, 'Adults-in-the Room' Covid19 Policy Disclaimer:
IN HUMBLE CONSIDERATION OF THE CURRENT NATIONAL HEALTH CRISIS: please carefully review your health status
before leaving home in April, … DON’T ATTEND if you are sick, … and out of an abundance of caution and respect for your friends:
>>> please consider a fully-boosted COVID vaccination regime to be your personal BASH Passport <<<
........................................................................................................................................................(end of discussion)

If you have been to the Bash in the past, this year you'll again recognize the signature Bash mantra of
Friends, Food, Fishing & Fine Vintage Tackle.
If you are considering a first-time BASH visit, and need a little push, just consider this:
BambooBash is like a live, 3-day version of the best parts of the Classic Fly Rod Forum, including:
……- all the genuine comradery the Forum members are known for, with fly-fishing expertise gladly shared,
……- a sometimes -almost-giddy- emersion in vintage rods, reels and tackle,
……- some great food probably NOT on your doctor's 'recommended' list, and
……- plenty of fishing time on the cherished waters of the Smokies in all their glorious spring bloom.

Featuring:
The Casting LawnFor the entire (3-day) Bash duration there will be an impressive amount of Cane in evidence, strung and generously shared for test casting on the celebrated Casting Lawn at Docks. This is one of those Great Opportunities we often mention here on CFRF to experience different cane rod actions, complete with all manner of support tackle, and certainly No Shortage of independent, non-commercial opinions from your peers about their use, abilities and worth. Bring yours and share the experience!
The LineLab will be back this year (!) expanded and organized in its new transport box under the curatorial care of LineBoss Doug T.
It now offers -more than 30!- different modern fly lines, mostly 4 to 7 weights, all spooled on venerable Medalists, and just waiting for your test casts on the Casting Lawn! Have a question about the right line for Your new rod?? Bring it and test out lines on the Lawn!

……..So here's the so-called ‘Schedule’ for BambooBash22:
April 21 (Thur)
…. We will officially kick off the festivities with the storied Bamboo Grill-out at Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area. The Bottoms are located about 20 scenic minutes east of Townsend in GSMNP on the banks of the Little River (GPS: Little River Gorge Rd x Wears Cove Gap Rd). Right around 1pm we'll start gathering at the Bottoms's lower end (look for the Bash sign) to share the ambiance only the Little River can provide, chow down on Really Fine Picnic Fare, trade fishing stories with old & new friends and commence the Great Smoky Tackle Swap. Bring tackle you have outgrown, under-use or just want to pass on/sell to other Bashers. Prepare To Dicker!
As usual, the food will be stellar and again highlighted by the famous Grilled Specialties of the 'R&R Deli' (aka: good 'ole Rich & Ray).
NOTICE: This year, mindful of C19 ‘good PUBLIC health practices’, we will forgothe appeal for ‘pot-luck’ offerings, and the whole menu,
soup-to-nuts’, will be catered through the skilled efforts of R&R Deli.
.......To cover this year’s extra expenses, a BashBox cash donation, say $10 each, will be requested.

April 22 (Fri)
…. The focus on Friday will turn to the Casting Lawn at Docks, which has been moved to the MUCH more expansive greenspace behind the old motel rooms. (Why didn’t we do this before???) This area will accommodate twice as many casters and allow for improved safety and security of our cherished tackle. The Line Lab’s wide selection will be available for Flyline Performance Comparisons, surely generating much spirited discussion. And word has it that several regional rod builders are bringing newly completed examples of the craft, including small stream rods, new tapers and some distance Tournament-styled rods.
…. And ever mindful of C19 ‘good PUBLIC health practices’, we will make a hand cleaning station with non-alcohol-based sanitizers, and gloves, available near the Casting Lawn for the Bash duration.

April 23 (Sat)
.....Starting at 10am on Saturday, this year’s feature TackleTalk program will be offered outside under the covered Pavilion at Docks with a presentation by a very special guest speaker: Mr. Walter Babb of Sweetwater TN. Walter is an exceptional cane rod maker of national reputation and has a long and storied background fishing and designing tackle for the Southern Appalachian regional streams that surround us at the Bash.
His discussion will include thoughts on small stream rod design and comments on his long history of fishing these waters by float and on foot. Several of his rods will be available on the Casting Lawn. I’m especially looking forward to a lively Q&A session following his talk.
……As you may have gathered, this year we are aiming at staging all Bash-scheduled activity in outdoor venues as much as possible. Keep this in mind when considering your gear & clothing choices. Past seasons have really emphasized the Bash Golden Rule: 'Mother Nature Bats Last'.

Little River Outfitters, our hometown fly shop, just down the street from Docks, has up-to-the-minute weather reports & gear.
Come and enjoy the sublime pleasure of casting fine cane over wild fish in clean water, all in a Smoky Mtn Spring !!

The Bamboo Bash Creed
We do this not as a crusade to resurrect the past,
but rather to serve as today’s respectful caretaker of cane fishing history,
while promoting and advancing its future.

This thread will remain pinned and act as the clearing house for all Bash22 matters.
Feel free to post your comments and questions here!

Paul
Charleston SC
Last edited by tunafart on 01/15/22 10:25, edited 7 times in total.

kentuckyjim
Guide

Re: ***_BambooBash22 Central_***

Post by kentuckyjim »

A huge thank you to Paul and everyone involved in the planning and organizing for this event! A great line up of events and Walter Babb!! Will be an
amazing gathering with an emphasis on safety. I can't wait seee everyone again.

tabrods406
Guide

Post by tabrods406 »

Hi Paul,

Alexis and I are looking forward to this year's Bash. If there's anything we can do to help please let me know.

Tom

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

WOW! Very excited to hear Walter Babb...this is always such a super fun event! Seems to just keep getting better. Ill Have lots of rods both new and classic to cast. See you all in the Spring.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

No lack of enthusiasm here!!! Another year in the long history of the Bamboo Bash!

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Great news. It's such a good time. Can't wait to see everyone.
Vern

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Thanks Paul for keeping the ball rolling. Joan and I will hail from the great state of Vermont; hoping to elude the Green Mountain State’s Mud Season for the flowering Dogwoods of Tennessee. Cheers, Jed
Fefferfly

narcodog
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by narcodog »

I have my reservations already and I'm looking forward to another bash, with the caveat that I have my grieving under control. For those that are not aware my wife passed away in July .

chestatee
Master Guide

Post by chestatee »

Reservations made. So looking forward to seeing everyone and catching up.

The line lab will be on hand in the fabulous case Paul assembled (along with spares, new lines, toolkits, lube, leaders, etc).

I'll have two dozen rods on hand to share. Jed, The 1955 Midge will be there along with a few Midge examples by Bob Lancaster.

Plenty of reels, spools, books and perhaps a rod or two for the tackle swap.

So looking forward to seeing everyone!

Doug

Varoooom7

Post by Varoooom7 »

Thanks Paul, for an Outstanding and amazing event schedule. Looking forward to renewing friendships with old acquaintances.
My reservations are confirmed and I'm ready to enjoy the Bash.

Denis

flyrod
Guide

Post by flyrod »

HUGE THANKS Paul for all your very hard work on Da' Bash!!! Bash22 can't get here quick enough :D :D :D

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Yayyyy!!, can't wait.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Hey Doug. Thanks for bringing along the Midge and the midges. I will bring a Bill Critchfield Midge as well. Jed
Fefferfly

kentuckyjim
Guide

Post by kentuckyjim »

I have a midge clone I built. Looking forward to comparing it with those built by the masters. An afternoon of midgerie at the bash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

I'll bring the real thing!!! Then we'll have a "semi" baseline. :rollin

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

Narco- sorry to hear of your wife’s passing.

Kate and I are certainly looking forward to our first bash attendance.
Certainly excited to see and hear Walter’s discussion. Purchased one of his rods back in the spring and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Also look forward to trying out some small stream rods for the surrounding waters, my favorite place in the world to fish.

See y’all in a few months

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Narco dog, I too am sorry to hear of your wife’s passing. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to lose a spouse.
I am very much looking forward to this gathering after a couple years of no gatherings. Paul encouraged me to make a request of all of you coming to the Bash. I would like to get the feel of a Kineya Cavous preferably an all brass one, or a nickle silver one with brass pillars. But a stonewashed version would be great too. So if anyone attending the Bash has one if you could bring it that would be great. Also, anyone having a 301B or any of the 300 Kineya series reels could bring them down that would be great as well. Thanks again. Jed
Fefferfly

BGreer
Master Guide

Post by BGreer »

I will be there. I have cabin reservations made and vacation has been approved.

I just saw today that the Ford Bronco gathering is going to be the same weekend that we will be there. If you don't have reservations for lodging, I would suggest getting on that sooner rather than later. When I spoke to Karen, Dock's is full for Fri and Sat.

I always look forward to this gathering, it never disappoints! I think this year will really be great.
I am looking forward to everything...
The picnic at Metcalf Bottoms is always wonderful. I love just visiting with everyone. The food is always excellent or beyond.
I'm looking forward to casting rods and the Line Lab. I have a few rods I want to try out with different lines.
DOUG, I have a box of reels & spools to donate to the Line Lab. (1494's)
I will admit that I'm pretty excited to hear Walter Babb's talk. That will be interesting.
But mostly, I am looking forward to seeing old friends and visiting with them and meeting new friends that might be attending for the first time or attending after a long hiatus.
BOB, I really hope that you can make it. I imagine things are still tough, hopefully it would do you some good.

I should be rolling in Wednesday the 20th and rolling out the following Wednesday.

Brian

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Hi All -
Interest for this year's Bash22 (21-23April) is crankin' up a bit earlier than past years.
That's no surprise, but it also means that overnight accommodations in Townsend and the vicinity
are also getting their share of interest. (FYI: The Bronco Super Celebration, a national
4WD rally of Bronco owners, is slated for the same weekend . . . you've been warned!)

If you have an interest in overnighting with us in April (and that would be a Good Thing!)
NOW is a Good Time to set a reservation. As of this morning, Docks has but ONE room
available on the 23rd/Saturday, and That's All for the week!!

But there are several dozen other good lodging alternatives in the greater Tuckaleechee Cove area.
Below is a link to the Townsend Area Visitor Guide. Click or cut/paste it into a browser and scroll to pages 59-63
for a Freekin-Comprehensive list of all of them.
My fave? After Docks, check and see if the Riverstone will host you.... just sayin'. YMMD

LINK: https://www.smokymountains.org/vacation-guide/?page=4

Karen & Diane at Docks will have day-to-day updates . . . sometimes there are cancellations.
See y'all in April!!
paul/charleston sc

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

Has the state Michigan been pushed out of the FLY Union?

Have we offended the fly fishers, rod builders of the Nation?

What's Pottstown, Utica, or Denver got that we ain't got?

We still got rivers here, we have had a few rod builders here.

I think Trout Unlimited was founded here, that's a plus.

I haven't heard of a gathering or a conclave here in 30 years that I know of.

What did we do wrong? Mike

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”