Retro Reel Build: Julius Vom Hofe Perforated

A place for members who build, repair or work on rods and reels. Please tell us about yourselves, your services and products and feel free to post links to your website or blogs.

Moderator: Titelines

Holireels
Guide

Retro Reel Build: Julius Vom Hofe Perforated

Post by Holireels »

I was recently inspired to start a new retro-reel project: Julius Vom Hofe perforated fly reel. While thinking about it, I received my new ORCA Nov 21 Reel News magazine and there was a good article written by Roger Schulz on all three sizes of the reels: (1 = 3 1/8", 2 = 2.75", and 3 = 2 1/4"). That got me inspired even a little more to start going on them. I am going to try and make the size 2 (2.75" OD) reel first, then the larger size 1. These reels featured both machined and stamped parts. The primary material is Nickel Silver and was used in the foot, pillars, side plate rims, handle, spool tension knob, spool tension knob finger spring, etc. The side plate inserts and handle were made of ebonite (Hard rubber). The original size 1 reel weighs approximately 8.3 ounces and the size 2 reel weighs about 6.6 ounces, due to the heavy content of nickel silver material. Will be documenting my build as I progress on here.

I am going to start by making some of the stamped parts, which will require making blanks and them forming in my hydraulic press. My first part is the spring temper nickel silver finger washer. This washer is used to retain the spool tension knob to the reel, preventing it from falling off of the reel by applying constant tension to the knob between the knob and ebonite side plate. (See original pics of back plate). This part needs to be spring temper and required work hardening to provide the temper. I purchased 1/2 hard 0.032" thick nickel silver sheet stock and had to roll it down to 0.018" with a rolling mill. Once rolled to size, I used a jewelers hole punch to create the washer over sized. Made a jig to hold all the washer blanks and cut 8 v-grooves using a 60 degree double cutting end mill. At this point in time, I was wishing I could just buy a washer...........Once the blanks were made I designed a two part forming tool to use in the press to form their shapes. Just need to lightly sand and then polish to a high luster.

Now on to the reel foot stamping and tools for creating it.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Retro Reel Build: Julius Vom Hofe Perforated

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I am really looking forward to this.

We are so very lucky... thanks for doing the pictures.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Well done! Can't wait for more.
What's the diameter of the washers? I could probably use a couple if the right size and for sale.
My pops and grandpops were 1st class machinists so I can appreciate what you do.
Thanks

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

John, This is superb, I also look forward to following this SBS

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

The washers are 0.8" in diameter, with a .3125" through hole. They are roughly 0.08" unsprung height.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

The size is perfect for what I need. Maybe you could do one in brass to replace this one??🤔🤔🤔🤔
I'd be more than hoppy to cover any costs.
Thanks

dave49
Guide

Post by dave49 »

This is a very ambitious project. Thank you for the fabrication details.
What is the material for the two halves of the forming tool?

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

Hi Dave,
I used Acetal/Delrin for the form tools. They probably wont last a long time, but they did work for this short run.

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

Tons of snow and very cold garage made for little progress on the reel stuff, but did manage to machine/fabricate an upper punch and lower die for the solid nickel silver reel foot. Still need to do a little fine tuning on the nickel silver blank size, but 98% there. I fitted these to my small 20 ton hydraulic press finger brake.

Next, drill fixturing center hole, machine taper the ends, and machine grooves to locate the nickel silver pillars. Once done, on to making a soldering jig to adjoin the foot to the pillars.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Brilliant! Thanks

Ron Gast
Sport

Post by Ron Gast »

I have a question. How are you going to sign your reel so it won't be misrepresented by someone in the future as an original, vintage item? It looks like you will be able to replicate the original reel.

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

Formed all the feet in the press. Next, used a ball-end mill to create locating pockets for the reels foot pillars on the underside of the formed foot. Additionally added tooling hole, which will be used for turning the tapered ends of the foot.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Good stuff John, thanks for sharing.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

I am so very enthralled by what you machinist folks do!!
I'm guessing it's in the genes for me. Pops and Grandpops were 1st class machinists.
I know now, I should have pursued the same. Got close but not quite!
Anyways, not to belabor a point, but can you still do washers for me ??
Whenever. Thanks.

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

The most laborious part of making the reels, except for finish work, is the pillars. Speeding up the process with the Tap-Matic on the drill press.

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

After creating the reel feet pillars, next step was to fixture foot to pillars and then silver solder together. Next step to clean them up and hand polish.

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

Did a quick clean-up and they look like the "reel" deal. Just need final finishing before assembly.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Beautiful!

Holireels
Guide

Post by Holireels »

The pillars on the Perforated reels are tapped on the back side of the reel and threaded on the front side. After cutting pillars to size they are tapped and threaded. They are still pretty rough at this time and need burrs removed from each end and sanded. Once sanded they are hand polished including the end the thread part, which will be seen from the front side of the reel.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Far better than any TV show on this marble.

Looking forward to more.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

Return to “Rod and Reel Makers Forum”