12wt Big Game Tapers?

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

Boise Bamboo
Guide

12wt Big Game Tapers?

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Any suggestions for a 12wt taper appropriate for tarpon? Thanks in advance.
Don

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: 12wt Big Game Tapers?

Post by BigTJ »

Hi Don,

I looked around for some of the heavy PHY tapers but can't seem to find anything approaching a 12 wt. That t being said, I think a B taper Powell would make great saltwater rod. Download the Powell Calculator from Chris Carlin. 3-piece with graphite ferrules would also make sense in the salt and to keep the weight down / make travel easier.

Another factor is what kind of tarpon are you going after? Smaller fish you could go more on the regressive side (butt flex) so a shallower B, and aggressively hollowed for better casting. Bigger fish - tip flex (steeper B or shallow A) and less aggressively hollowed for fish fighting power. I don't think you want a solid built rod, unless you are just going to troll.

Good luck,

-John

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Thanks, John.
I have been playing with the numbers for a 8' B-taper with a 7.5 tip and a butt around .400. I am concerned that such a heavy butt may not have the desired flex. Alternately, I was wondering if a C-taper might provide a heavier tip and some flex in the butt, but am concerned 8' may not be enough length to get the magic out of a regressive C-taper. I need to work out the numbers to see...
I committed to explore the concept, but am stuck feeling that it falls under the Spandex Theory- Just because you can, does not mean you should!

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Well the thing is a 12 wt rod is going to be pushing 400 grains around. I would think a 0.400 butt with say 90 thou walls would flex plenty with 400 grains at the helm; I was guessing you'd end up more like .450. For the reasons mentioned above, a steep C taper might work out for smaller fish, but I wonder how it would do for trying to stop the really big boys. Since you are going for a 12 wt I'm assuming you are targeting 80 plus pound fish right? In any event, it's not that much work to build a couple three butts and tips and mix and match and see what you get.

FWIW, IMO 8 ft is in my opinion too short unless you are trolling. Casting out of a boat you'll need to quickly pick up line and blast it 80+ ft. 8.5 ft minimum, 9 ft better. With graphite ferrules, anodized hardware, and reasonable hollowing up to the tip I'm guessing you can probably get the rod down to 5.5 - 6 oz.

Cheers,

-John

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Thanks, John. Appreciate the insights. You have definitely given food for thought.

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

At home I have an older HI Maritime (9'4" 3pc) in need of a rebuild so I've never cast it, but the in-hand feel before I stripped it down suggested it to be firmly in the 10-11 category. I can get you the specs if you'd like them for a starting point.
- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Thank you, Nate. Since this taper is going to take more experimentation than expected, I may put it off for a bit. But I would appreciate the taper you pull off of the rod when you get to it. Thanks
Don

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

See my comments in a recent thread in the Rod Making forum. These rods are fairly aggressive A tapers, 7.2 + 0.369 and 8.5 + 0.31. Length 9" 6". Tips run 0.095 and 0.085, butts 0.530 and 0.506. They throw 475 and 375 grain Commando heads with 10' T8 or T11 tips. I am sure the heavier would handle a 12 weight line without breaking sweat. I cast these all day two-handed without them wearing me out. Tapers are available if you are interested.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Thanks, Mike! PM sent.

Return to “Taper Exchange”