SouthBend 359 9ft new to me

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Bloodhound
Guide

SouthBend 359 9ft new to me

Post by Bloodhound »

I was messing around on the "Auction Site" a few weeks ago and saw a Southbend Bamboo rod, 3/2 with all the sections the same length, the ad said no set to any section but missing a few guides. Cork was a little dingy but in good shape and the reel seat functioned as it should. so I bid the $28 minimum and a week later the auction ended and I was still high bid.

Well it showed up and I have had a chance to look at it. The blamk is in wonderful condition, and the cork will clean up nicely. The guides are all rusted and will all need to be replaced. But man oh man is that blank in nice condition. and aside from the guides, I am thinking it is really nice and I have toyed with the idea of learning/trying my hand at guide wrapping and finishing.

I know I am in this rod for the right $$ and that is the first step...but I know nothing about this rod...is the 359 a 6 weight 7 weight or ???

I put it together and waggled it next to my Phillipson Pacemaker and the seemed like they might be in the same ball park...

When I took the SouthBend apart, all the ferules has a sweet "pop" so I am very pleased with condition all except for the guides.

Since it is really nice is it one I shouldn't mess up by using it as my first practice rod to wrap and re-guide? Or am I just spinning my wheels with a rod that wasn't worth the time new and other than practice will be of no use...in other words if I put the time and effort into it...I am gonna want something that is worth fishing...

Any comments and thoughts are appreciated.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: SouthBend 359 9ft new to me

Post by jeffkn1 »

There's an abundance of assistance available here, particularly in the archives, and I bet YouTube has plenty. I say go for it.
One suggestion: remove the old wraps very carefully so you don't chip any of the original varnish, including the space between the guide feet. It will help make the job look neater if you don't have to fill in areas with new varnish.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

You should definitely consider reseating the ferrules if you are going to rewrap all the guides. Both South Bend rods that I owned in the past needed to have the ferrules reset (I used epoxy). This is not unique to South Bends as I've had the same situation with Heddon, Granger and Wright & McGill. Practice wrapping on a dowel.

Santafecino
Guide

Post by Santafecino »

Bloodhound--
Have fun with this one. If you consider adding guides and changing the guide spacing, you might end up with something really worth fishing. Of course, that means refinishing the rod (probably) because the new guides won't go where the old ones were. But the SB 359 is known as a respected dry fly rod and worth keeping. Does your rod have a warning label: "contents addictive"?
--Santafecino

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

I had a SB359 but it was 8-1/2'; it threw a 6wt line very nicely. Good luck with the re-do!
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

9.3x75r
Sport

Post by 9.3x75r »

Bloodhound, I learned to wrap guides off U-toob. It isn't difficult, just takes time and patience to get any good at it. Practice on a piece of dowel or old section of bamboo. You don't have to do it all at once. Do a couple, take a break, do a couple more, an hour or two days later. I wrap when my patience is up to it...lol! My first rod was wrapped with a book as a line tensioner and my rod holder was a box with a "V" cut in two sides.

I have a 9' 359, I think, it might be 8'6", it's been a while since I used it. It casts a #6 silk, DT quite nicely.

Bloodhound, I looked, my 359 is a 9 ft. I was confusing it with my 323 which is 8 1/2 ft. They both cast a #6 DT silk line nicely.
I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6

GetnThere
Guide

Post by GetnThere »

Lol, congrats on the ebay pickup. I was close to bidding on that rod too. But went for a Monty as I have two 59-9 SB already. Unfortunately I have to clean up the furrells to get them to fit and still working on it. I think these old almost forgotten bb rods are great for the money. Fixing them isn't that difficult. Good luck with it n enjoy.

Bloodhound
Guide

Post by Bloodhound »

Thanks all for the info and the encouragement for the project. I have a buffet refinishing project for my wife that is several moths behind schedule...I will crank that out and then its South Bend time. I am only sorta handy...but I'll take it slow and refer back her and to the sources suggested often.

Again thank you for all the thoughts and info and the PMs with help. I will post up pics when I start and progress.

Kave
Guide

Post by Kave »

Bloodhound,
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I've built up a nice little quiver of refinishing projects for this winter and most are SBs. I was able to get a real beater for a guinea pig. Its a 9' and from the wraps, Im guessing its a 47 but I'm not sure. I'll try to remember to PM you as I progress through the project.
I also have a 359 9'. I've only lawn cast it with old 5 and 6wt forward lines. I really liked it.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

the 359 9' is most likely a 6wt.
Check the ferrule measurement, usually 10/64 ferrule is a 5wt, 11/64 is 6wt.

I have two 359s, a 9' and an 8 1/2' which is a delightful 5wt. It also came to me as a bundle of tomato stakes.. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=85288

359 9' is my warmwater rod, a bit light for the larger bass flies though.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Bloodhound,
They are nice rods. Someone once told me they are a Wes Jordan taper from his time at South Bend. Enjoyed my 8.5' rod. Gave it to my nephew for his first bamboo rod. When he goes fishing with his friends they all try the rod and enjoy it.
Rewrap the rod. I bet it will turn out fine.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Bloodhound
Guide

Post by Bloodhound »

Thanks again for all the info and encouragement. I have the two other projects that I promised and then its on to work on the SouthBend.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
12/14/21 19:42
You should definitely consider reseating the ferrules if you are going to rewrap all the guides. Both South Bend rods that I owned in the past needed to have the ferrules reset (I used epoxy). This is not unique to South Bends as I've had the same situation with Heddon, Granger and Wright & McGill. Practice wrapping on a dowel.
I second that emotion! I love my SBs, but will admit the glue dried out over the decades. Nice NiAg ferrules at least and worth the effort.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”