Daypack

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Daypack

Post by Bucktrout »

Anyone have a favorite day pack to recommend for fly fishing? Have been using a cheaper no name brand which has served me fairly well. But, I could use an upgrade and I’ve run out of things to tell my wife to buy me for Christmas.

Thanks,
Eric

nuchamps5
Sport

Re: Daypack

Post by nuchamps5 »

I've got the Fishpond one with a removable chest pack. It's not my everyday pack, but when I'm hiking it's nice because it holds a lot of gear, the chest pack straps on to the pack when hiking, and the water bottle side pockets unzip on the bottom and extend to accommodate a rod tube. I prefer a sling pack, but when hiking to a spot or something, this is a nice option.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

You gonna camp when you get there?? ;D

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

This is all I use anymore for trout, steelhead, New Zealand, salt trips, boat bag. I love it. Totally waterproof. Don’t have to worry about my camera or my phone or anything getting wet if I wade too deep.
And it is basically, like me, a big bag of air, so I can hang onto it should I find myself wading off a ledge and unintentionally swimming.

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

steeliefool wrote:
12/18/21 16:17
You gonna camp when you get there?? ;D
Nope. Just want one for the day to pack my shoes, extra pair of pants, etc for a day of fishing after hiking for couple hours.

Thanks,
Eric

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Chris makes exceptional equipment - very light weight - very high quality - waterproof in most products.
You want some customization, talk to him. Highly recommended - no financial interest, just a satisfied customer.

Northern Angler

Post by Northern Angler »

Simms Freestone Fishing Backpack

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

I use an earlier version of the LOOP waterproof https://hooke.ca/products/dry-backpack-25l

Which is more like HOCKE https://hooke.ca/products/30l-dry-bag-green

ctwhite
Guide

Post by ctwhite »

Deuter Freerider Lite. I used it as a ski touring pack before upgrading and now it serves as a pack for day long hike-in fishings trips. Deuter packs are thoughtfully designed very well built. It's the only pack I can comfortably wear while casting. Bonus points for having purchased it at a deep discount ($50!)

https://www.deuter.com/int-en/shop/back ... er-lite-20

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

Zimmer makes really nice packs, I have three of his sling packs with some accessories. Holds quite a bit of stuff and stays close to your back.

Hyperlite daypack is what I use the most, it has rod holders (water Bottle) on both sides and is extremely light and holds a ton of stuff. It's the pack I use the most lately. I also have a backpack made by them for weekend campouts.

Both are American made.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

I recently bought an Orvis waterproof back pack. I did a good bit of business travel and needed to protect the computer and such in inclement weather. The bag is just 1 big compartment with a smaller outer zippered compartment. Worked well for me there. I will use it for a fishing pack of course but I wish it had a bladder pocket for water. It works well for what it is especially since I can off-load extra fly boxes that I seem to have to carry. Pricey but I expect many years of service out of it and it can fit an awful lot of stuff.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

I'm not a pack wearer when fly fishing. Even when I'm back packing into the wilderness to fly fish for a few days, I drop the pack when fishing. I am always climbing up or scrambling around rocks, boulders, trees, steep stream banks, etc and a pack, even a small one tends to get in the way. I'm not against wearing a pack, I just don't wear one. But....

That said, the new generation of sling packs have perked my interest. I saw the one made by Simms and it's very high quality. I don't like stuff hanging from my chest box or vest (I tend to lose those things when scrambling) so I'm looking at a sling pack as a possible pack to try.

The only thing holding me back is the utility. I like to reach into a front pocket to get what I need immediately. The notion of rotating the sling to get another box or leader out seems inconvenient, but we'll see.

To get back to Bucktrout's question about a recommendation. Hyperlite makes some of the best packs made, and, they are extremely light and rugged. Their day pack is also one I am looking at.

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

+1 on the Orvis waterproof backpack. I find it very comfortable and it doesn’t impede casting. Designed so you can hang a net from it. The external net pockets could be deeper for a more secure hold on rod tubes.

Kai Larson
Sport

Post by Kai Larson »

The Patagonia hybrid pack/vest is the best I've used. Perfect for a long day out fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeiM-fCrMH4

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

My Hardy troutfishers' bag takes me a long way but if I want to carry a bit more or walk for a bit longer I am very happy with my Tasmanian Tiger combat pack. I have been using and abusing it for more than 15 years also with heavy camera equipment and it still looks like new, zippers still flawless.

Packgoat

Post by Packgoat »

I use this one for bow hunting and hiking to small streams

https://eberlestock.com/collections/pac ... andit-pack

Silver Doctor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Silver Doctor »

When I need more than my vests will carry, or on rainy days, I use my thunderhead submersible (Fishpond). Enough space for lots of stuff plus watertight.

Bucktrout
Master Guide

Post by Bucktrout »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for everyone’s input. Thought I would provide you an update.

There wasn’t much consensus on the packs but provided plenty of options. My wife read the posts and talked to the fly shop where she ordered it. I ended up unwrapping a new style pack from Fishpond called the Firehole. It seems well made with the ability to add a water bladder and a stowable, waterproof integral pouch for wet waders and boots. Also, has compatible chest packs that can be attached to back of pack for packing to the river and then attached to front straps or carried separately when fishing.

Time will tell….

Eric

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

Eric,

I have 2 Fishponds and a Frost River geologist pack. The Fishpond packs are great, one of mine is a bit larger than the other. The larger of the two is my work and travel pack mostly. The smaller Fishpond and the geologist pack are great for when I need to carry stuff on the water, like rain gear, lunch, drinks, extra fleece, etc.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”