Pick The Great Rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pick The Great Rod

Post by billems »

You don't need to blow thousands for a great rod. 8ft 5 wt is a great all rounder. A near mint Granger in any model is a fine rod. Jenkins in the same configuration casts as well as anything ever made. Tufts and Batson make a great 8 footer. I'd get a rod that'll hold up for a lot of fishing. If you want to spend a little more, RK Bolt is a master rod builder. Lots of good choices.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

billems wrote:
01/01/22 18:33
You don't need to blow thousands for a great rod. 8ft 5 wt is a great all rounder. A near mint Granger in any model is a fine rod. Jenkins in the same configuration casts as well as anything ever made. Tufts and Batson make a great 8 footer. I'd get a rod that'll hold up for a lot of fishing. If you want to spend a little more, RK Bolt is a master rod builder. Lots of good choices.
Agree with this. That's +/- where I would start if I wanted a couple good rods in the all-rounder category. However, if you are intent on spending 4K plus/minus per rod, there are always makers around that will accommodate your wishes...... :rollin

Bethabara
Guide

Post by Bethabara »

Well, I like Dickerson's rods and "I never cast one I didn't like" but beware of a bunch of fake knockoff copy-cat rods.
I like Payne rods, the action suits my style of cast.
I have a Para-15 by P. Young, never will be for sale.
I like some E.C. Powel rods, has the action I like so I keep it.
I personally prefer threaded barrel down locking reel seats over sliding band.
I have probably fished every style, weight, and length rod ever built; every rod maker thinks his rod is best, but that's only true in his own hand.

I have built from scratch 484 cane rods, twelve were one-of-a-kind prototypes, "The intention of my invention is retention"!

The problem: fly fishers are finicky, hard to please, not aware of intrinsic value, too much money to burn, and gifted with hindsight.
In addition: If you are at the age from 20 to 80 you have been introduced to lancewood, Calcutta, Tonkin, steel, Borron, fiberglass, and Graphite.
That in itself creates a problem because they all have different actions, weights, and balance points, which requires different weight fly reels.

My case-in-point: I went through 14 expensive shotguns until I finally found one that obeyed simple commands.
Mike
PS: Making difficult decisions gives you a headache but going fly fishing cures a headache. Don't think, just fish!

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

As you can see, CFRF is a veritable nuthouse! Few agree on what would be the best fly rod. But each of us thinks he knows! For the money you're willing to spend, you ought to take some flights to visit guys like Mark Aroner at Spinoza Fly Rods, or Per Brandin. They're rodmakers, but sell high end used rods, many of which haven't been used much at all. Cast a bunch.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

Don't forget to budget for a classic reel:

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

2 rods for $6K, that's too easy, Summers 275 and Karstetter 8-1/2 for 5, Todd

Steelnski
Sport

Post by Steelnski »

Just thought you might want to know how I’m doing with this….
Well,the bottom line is that there are too many great rods, and as you all know,it’s hard to only go with “one” cane fly rod.I have been on a bit of a tear, but these things don’t just sprout out of the ground( well the original grass does), so when something great pops up, ya gotta grab it.Especially because many of you also seem to be looking for great rods for prices that are not too nutty as well 😂.
So, I’m three rods “in” since my original post.They are all Great rods,and I’m looking for a couple more.The one rod that I’m still really hunting for is that longer big river 5/6 that might be hollow and 8-8 1/2’ and priced so I don’t have to re-mortgage.

I picked up 7’#4, 8’#4, 7 1/2’ #5 so far.

thomast
Sport

Post by thomast »

A pre-fire Leonard Hunt, 3 piece, 8 ft, #5/6 is a rod I can recommend.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

flyty2 wrote:
02/06/22 14:13

Don't forget to budget for a classic reel:

What a great looking rod! Any info you can share?
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Steelnski wrote:
02/21/22 15:16
Well,the bottom line is that there are too many great rods, and as you all know,it’s hard to only go with “one” cane fly rod.I have been on a bit of a tear, but these things don’t just sprout out of the ground( well the original grass does), so when something great pops up, ya gotta grab it.Especially because many of you also seem to be looking for great rods for prices that are not too nutty as well 😂.
So, I’m three rods “in” since my original post.They are all Great rods,and I’m looking for a couple more.The one rod that I’m still really hunting for is that longer big river 5/6 that might be hollow and 8-8 1/2’ and priced so I don’t have to re-mortgage.

Well done! What 3 rod models above did you add recently?

Bamboo Don
Guide

Post by Bamboo Don »

Steelnski wrote:
02/21/22 15:16

Steelnsk if you seed me a phone number by email or text I might have the 8 1/2" bamboo rod for you
my email is sxs@charter.net and my text is 660-221-6850
thanks
Don

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

carl otto wrote:
12/20/21 09:59
Alright, 45 years on this pursuit, so this is what I have found.

There are many many very good rod builders, living and dead. They consistently make great rods to fish with. You will find just as many opinions as you ask your questions. The ones you should listen to are from folks who have spent the time fishing through the flock AND fish the kind of water you do. They may appear at a bamboo gathering, you might run into them on the stream, or a friend of a friend. Find them. Garner their trust and they may, just may, open up their locker for you to test cast through.

Personally at this point in my life and with what I know, the current group of hollow build makers are advancing this craft and rod design on solid foundations of past makers knowledge. Look for those folks who are rod designers, not just builders. They are working not only on perfecting their craft, but advancing rod design based on the effects of the hollow build on the casting characteristics of the rod. With patience you will find some very lightly used rods show up on the market from these folks in the under $4K range.

Best,

Carl
100% agree — modern makers / designers are doing some amazing work. Go to some rod makers gatherings, drink the home crafted beer, and cast every rod in sight. No one can answer your question better than you can by casting the rods yourself.

Bamboo Don
Guide

Post by Bamboo Don »

I have been fly fishing for over 50 years, I have fish all types of fly rods some of the newer bamboo rods I have try I did not like at all.
The bamboo rod that I like are the pre fire Leonard two piece rods and the two piece Jim Payne rods. The rod that I though was the
best rod I ever cast was a T&T one piece rod, the only reason I done had one is if you brake it it's done. The rods I fish the most right
now are my Leonard model 73 a 7'9" my Leonard model 66 1/2 a 8 1/2' and my Leonard model 67 a 9' all three of these rods will cast
a long belly line for 50 to 60 feet. By the way my first fly rod a South Bend 290 that I bought at a gun show for $50.00 in new condition.

flyty2
Master Guide

Post by flyty2 »

red 1 wrote:
02/21/22 19:17
What a great looking rod! Any info you can share?
That's a JD Wagner Classic Series rod.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I can only remark on rods I have either owned or cast. To me, the cast is the thing. Fame, collectibility, reputation, even overall beauty, are secondary concerns.
For me, it's: 8ft CW Jenkins (two-piece, oven tempered); Mark Ruhe Premiere (7 1/2 footer); RK Bolt (7 1/2 4wt); Homer Jennings (7 1/2 ft, 3-piece). Granger 8040; Leonard #50 (pre-fire).

Limits: Never casted a Brandin, South Creek, Payne, Tufts and Batson, or a HIdy--all brands I'm hoping to someday cast.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

This is an exercise few persons would be capable of resolving (if it could be!?).

In order to make a qualified statement one should be a good caster, have fished the rod and then (and this is the hard part) fished the rods made by the dozens? hundreds? of makers ince 19XX?, AND fished rods by each of these makers they would claim represents their best efforts. Certainly many good makers have been mentioned and many great rods, but "The Great Rod"? An unobtainable and indefinable ideal.

We each, in our small worlds, have rods we have fished that are magic and could be classed as the "current" best rod, but the beauty of what most of us are in to is that next week some one could put in your hands a rod, the likes of something you could never had imagined be possible. Then bang just like that, you have found a new "great rod".

What was the quote?; "Flyfishing is the pursuit of something elusive, but obtainable. A constant series of occasions for hope."

So with rods; "The Great Rod, the pursuit of something elusive, but obtainable. A perpetual series of occasions to refine your knowledge and spend more money."

Onward!

Carl

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Agree Payne rod will not disappoint 102 or 201
I do love my 8’ garrison thou
Lots of good rods out there
Dave

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Steelnski, your preferred waters are mine as well - larger, western, generally faster, generally windier, larger fish. Heck, even those awesome tribs around the Elk require carrying a lot more line than most of the classic maker rods were designed to do. I've gone through many rods to find one that can place my #10 stimulator into the bucket behind that rock across the riffle, or let me switch to a weighted nymph with indicator when I felt like it. I've tried EC Powell, Winston, pre-fire Leonard, Sweetgrass, Thomas, Granger, EW Edwards, WE Edwards, Phillipsons, Heddons, the list goes on...Many are close, but none were right for me until I tried a rod built by a modern maker from Alaska, Chris Carlin. Chris fishes big water and big fish and his hollow built rods are designed to fish those waters. Some of his tapers are a bit too fast for me as I like to feel the rod load, so I chose his LL, one of his slower tapers, which is still medium fast and lets me fish as I want. Image

Steelnski
Sport

Post by Steelnski »

Thought you might like to know how my quest has gone so far…..and a warning to any one else who may want go on a quest: It can make ya broke.
So far in my search for the “Great Rod” I have picked up:
TnT Sans Pareil 8’ #4, new. ….it hurt my wallet.Nice caster,looker. How could I not ? They are not everywhere.
Winston(Brackett/Morgan) 7’ #4, minty ….great deal.So sweet, couldn’t pass it up and my hunch was right.
Leonard 40 Early 80’s a#5 for me,minty….great deal.Super caster price was such a good deal, could not pass it up.
Orvis Wes Jordan 7 1/2’ for #5 for me, new.Super caster, looks good too.Paid for it…but how often do you find a brand new Wes Jordan !
Orvis Wes Jordan 8 1/2’ for #5/6 from 1962 great deal, casts really nice. Such a good price, I couldn’t resist.
Winston ( Merrick) 7 1/2’ for a #6 but #5 for me.As new, stole it price and very nice caster.I could not resist at such a good price, and it’s mint!

Yes, that’s 6 rods when I planned to get 1,and I am still looking for the 8’-8 1/2’ hollow 5 weight at the rice price.

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

You have a sweet collection there. I know how that happens. All too well :)

Enjoy them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”