Pick The Great Rod

This board is for discussing the collecting of bamboo fly rods, both classic and modern. Remember that respect and civility is the goal of this board.

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Steelnski
Sport

Pick The Great Rod

Post by Steelnski »

Hi folks,
Looking for some input because I want to grab a grail, or two…
Couple of caveats, to start, so we go in the right direction….
I have fly fished for a long time( I’m 59 and started at 12) I have cast many rods in cane, graphite, glass.etc
I can cast any rod and appreciate what the company or maker is or trying do.I tested some of the first Sage graphite’s when they came out, as I was a guide in my early twenties and worked for a high end steelhead lodge.
Just putting that out not to be an ass, but so, we don’t waste time on that stuff…and you know where we can start the discussion.
I have cast many cane rods….like them all! And love what makers do! But to help you,help me, I really liked Kusse,Payne,Arroner,Summers,TNT, Spittler, and a few longer 8 1/2’ Leonard’s and some Winstons were nice. Over all,the best casting rods for me: were Kusse, Young, Summers out of that group.
I have never cast Brandin, Reams, Garrison,Wojnicki, Hidy, Canefield, Reams,Carpenter, Howells,or the big Japanese or European guys - or maybe some others I have not even thought of in that category.
So if you were to spend some bigger coin( let’s say 2-6k ) for one or two rods that were cats ass….what would you recommend? And why?
Thanks.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Pick The Great Rod

Post by adrien schnee »

Hi Steelnski, what length and line weights rods are you looking at, and for what application? It would influence recommendations, at least for me.

Would you like to stick with current makers or also include historical rods in the consideration?

Is the 2 to 6 thousand dollar range per rod?

I think it would be easier to offer up an opinion knowing the above.

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

You could stay well within your price range. Look for an EC Powell 9' hollow built two pc. 4 3/8 ounce B Taper. I owned one and it was a fantastic DT5F rod for me. It fishes like it's a foot shorter and an ounce lighter, as fine a rod as I've ever cast.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Very easy process. Over the next 5 - 25 or so years, Just buy 2 or 3 rods from each maker you mention (plus Jennings, Jenkins, Gallas, Robbins, Mencer, Moran, Blackburn, Barder, Pickard etc etc), in sizes you prefer, and see which ones are keepers for you. Sell the others. Sounds crazy, but it’s a road many are familiar with!

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

creakycane wrote:
12/19/21 20:51
Very easy process. Over the next 5 - 25 or so years, Just buy 2 or 3 rods from each maker you mention (plus Jennings, Jenkins, Gallas, Robbins, Mencer, Moran, Blackburn, Barder, Pickard etc etc), in sizes you prefer, and see which ones are keepers for you. Sell the others. Sounds crazy, but it’s a road many are familiar with!
^This^.

You'll know it when you find it, but we can't tell you. You'll have to fish with the rod to find out if it's Excalibur - for you.

I'd start with 8 ft. Paynes, but that is just me.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Steelnski wrote:
12/19/21 19:41
Hi folks,
Looking for some input because I want to grab a grail, or two…
Couple of caveats, to start, so we go in the right direction….
I have fly fished for a long time( I’m 59 and started at 12) I have cast many rods in cane, graphite, glass.etc
I can cast any rod and appreciate what the company or maker is or trying do.I tested some of the first Sage graphite’s when they came out, as I was a guide in my early twenties and worked for a high end steelhead lodge.
Just putting that out not to be an ass, but so, we don’t waste time on that stuff…and you know where we can start the discussion.
I have cast many cane rods….like them all! And love what makers do! But to help you,help me, I really liked Kusse,Payne,Arroner,Summers,TNT, Spittler, and a few longer 8 1/2’ Leonard’s and some Winstons were nice. Over all,the best casting rods for me: were Kusse, Young, Summers out of that group.
I have never cast Brandin, Reams, Garrison,Wojnicki, Hidy, Canefield, Reams,Carpenter, Howells,or the big Japanese or European guys - or maybe some others I have not even thought of in that category.
So if you were to spend some bigger coin( let’s say 2-6k ) for one or two rods that were cats ass….what would you recommend? And why?
Thanks.
2 to 6 yards? if it were up to me, i would try to locate a 8 1/2 foot net & twine kosmic. a rod by the holy three would be most satisfactory. the best of the best.

regards, jim w

Steelnski
Sport

Post by Steelnski »

Creaky has a point.
Favorite rivers: Fork, Missouri,Bow and smaller tributaries of the Elk in BC.
I prefer looking for bigger heads with dries; however,like most I-head out with just one rod and will twist on a nymph if on I’m on a freestoner and I need a fish fix.
I am also known to just sit my ass on the bank or walk till I find a rise.
Something 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 and 4-6wt. But leaning 4/5 ( maybe two rods are needed?) .Rod should be able to handle a large trout as I’m looking for those.
I’m leaving a wide price window of 2-6k per rod in case it’s needed.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

Paul H. Young 8'0" "Parabolic 15" supplied with both a dry fly tip (4.5 to 5 wt) and a "wet" parabolic tip (5 to 6 wt).

Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

Alright, 45 years on this pursuit, so this is what I have found.

There are many many very good rod builders, living and dead. They consistently make great rods to fish with. You will find just as many opinions as you ask your questions. The ones you should listen to are from folks who have spent the time fishing through the flock AND fish the kind of water you do. They may appear at a bamboo gathering, you might run into them on the stream, or a friend of a friend. Find them. Garner their trust and they may, just may, open up their locker for you to test cast through.

Personally at this point in my life and with what I know, the current group of hollow build makers are advancing this craft and rod design on solid foundations of past makers knowledge. Look for those folks who are rod designers, not just builders. They are working not only on perfecting their craft, but advancing rod design based on the effects of the hollow build on the casting characteristics of the rod. With patience you will find some very lightly used rods show up on the market from these folks in the under $4K range.

Best,

Carl

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Young Para 16.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
12/19/21 21:49
Steelnski wrote:
12/19/21 19:41
if it were up to me, i would try to locate a 8 1/2 foot net & twine kosmic. a rod by the holy three would be most satisfactory. the best of the best.
If you want one by three greats, go for an AG Spalding Kosmic with no serial number. It will have been made by Thomas, Edwards, and Loman Hawes and it will be beautifully engraved instead of roll-stamped. Anything touched by Loman Hawes is to be revered.
If you want a Kosmic to fish with, find an HA Whittemore with Payne ferrules. It will be a late one , serial numbered above 3000, made by Jim Payne who is known to have eventually replaced Kosmic ferrules with his own. There are very few out there but they represent a bridging of 19th century concepts with 20th century interpretation. It might not be 8 1/2' but 8'3" or 8'9".

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

I would pick a current builder who's work I admire, choose hollow or solid, pick the taper I like best and then work with the builder to make it my own: flamed or no, grip shape, winding check, hook keep, guide color and size, wrap color, etc.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

i owned a 81/2 ft Gillum 7/8 wt w/ a long removable NS extended grip . I seen one on one of my tackle collection books from the 60S I remember buying it for around 3000.oo t was a dream for steelhead but after catching a few i started getting nervous fishing it ,afraid of falling ,or breaking a tip . i sold it w/o a loss after owning it one season.

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

Paul B
Master Guide

Post by Paul B »

Any rod by Mike Montagne less than 8’6”
Surely the “ holy grail “ of rods

uniphasian
Global Moderator

Post by uniphasian »

I have owned and fished most of the names you mentioned with the exception of Brandin, Hidy, Canfield, and Garrison (but lots of Garrison tapers). Most of my fishing is the Mountain west from NM to MT - big rivers to small streams. One of my favorite all-round western rods is a Winston 8-1/2' 4-1/4 oz. My favorite line on this rod is a 5 wt, but I've lined it with 4's and 6's when conditions called for that and the rod works well with all of them. It has a very even feel with the different line weights without being to tippy under a 4, or hinging with a 6.

If you're looking for one rod, you'll need to decide between the Summers/Young parabolics and the Kusse action. If you decide on parabolics, one of the Summers or Young rods would be my top choice. If you're looking to match the feel of a Kusse rod, a lot of good makers come into play. In addition to the makers you already mentioned, add Maxwell-Leonard, Bradford, Bob Taylor, Schroeder, any incarnation of Ramsakuas, or a nice Payne into the mix.

You really can go wrong with any of these, at this point it really comes down to how you personally connect with a certain rod, and how comfortable you are with creakycane's suggestion. Feel free to message if you'd like more.

~Uni

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

8 ft. Payne 102 2/2 or E.C. Powell 2/2 hollow-built.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

upstate
Master Guide

Post by upstate »

Get a Payne best there ever was! We'll see about those who have come since then!

Tom

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Payne 102 Light DF 2/2.

Dennis

Charlie in ID

Post by Charlie in ID »

Payne or Brandin. Old or new. Either can be sold if it’s not a great fit.

Return to “Collecting Bamboo Fly Rods”