Syl Nemes flies

A place to discuss the collecting and tying of classic flies, the tyers who made them famous, the tools, materials and techniques they used as well as the waters they were designed for. While classic is generally used to describe old things, classic is also used in the sense of first class or in the highest form. Therefore a fully dressed Salmon Fly, or a Carrie Stevens Streamer are just as much classics as a Chernobyl Ant would be. Enjoy the forum.

Moderators: Ken M 44, joaniebo

modern_1

Syl Nemes flies

Post by modern_1 »

I collect vintage fishing lures and recently came across a box of 9 Syl Nemes flies. They are soft hackle dry flies and in the original clear plastic box and complete with the insert signed and dated by Syl. Looking for some info on value. Have not been able to find much online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Travis Bailey
Kansas City, Kansas

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Syl Nemes flies

Post by bamboo rodley »

They are actually not dry flies but are soft hackle classics. They will normally stay a few inches below the surface. Can’t help with value.

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

You've made a good purchase. Syl Nemes wrote three books about these types of soft hackled flies and is one of the pioneers and champions of their use in America.

Ill let others more knowledgeable give you an idea of market value, but its $100 or more I would guess depending on how many are there and what patterns they are.

Just my two

Justin

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jcrouse
Guide

Post by Jcrouse »

Sorry, just saw there are 9. Ill stick to my initial thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

modern_1

Post by modern_1 »

Thanks for the info. Turns out there are 11. Below are a few detailed pics. Any chance someone can help with the identification?

Thanks -

Travis Bailey
Kansas City, Kansas

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

There’s a Tups, Partridge and orange, grouse and various others. Worth 100-ish IMO

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Well....given that 6 stoneflies tied by Bob Jacklyn in 1999 just sold for $515.00 the sky's the limit. And Bob is still with us. I had a chance to buy all of Syl's flies back right after he left us. Then there was not much of a market. I passed them up at the time. But now? Who knows? That was about ten years ago. I'd put them out there to see what collectors are willing to pay.

chugbug
Guide

Post by chugbug »

Deleted, meant for pm
Last edited by chugbug on 12/22/21 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Hellmtflies wrote:
12/22/21 10:48
Well....given that 6 stoneflies tied by Bob Jacklyn in 1999 just sold for $515.00 the sky's the limit.

This is an apples and oranges comparison--Jacklin's prices are relevant only in relation to Jacklin--. If you want to gauge the Nemes market, look for Nemes sales--. The flies themselves are pretty different too--a Jacklin stone fly is a lot more complicated as a tie than a Nemes soft hackle.

Lang's Marketplace has been a good place for flies, as noted above. In August, 21 Nemes flies and a handwritten note by him went for $245. So the estimates like Creaky's for $100-$125 is not far off base, IMO

bb

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Apparently the OP is attempting to see what the market will bear via the classifieds. Surprised the post has stayed up this long, the mods must be Christmas shopping. I guess get in the fun while you can ?!? Got to love the "really unsure of value".

At any rate, I'm glad for the photos that were posted, they are better than what I have in Nemes' books!

Cheers,

-John

imfishin
Sport

Post by imfishin »

I fished with Syl...

He would gladly sell you some of his flies for 100 bucks a dozen

Return to “Collecting and Tying Classic Flies”