MHM USERS GROUP

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

dorenac
Master Guide

MHM USERS GROUP

Post by dorenac »

Have been out of touch with the Hand Mill Users Group if it still exists. The last time I accessed it was 8 or 9 years ago perhaps, but now I would like to get back into it with questions and to learn new ideas. I would appreciate it if someone can PM me the link.
Thanks

fireman10
Sport

Re: MHM USERS GROUP

Post by fireman10 »

dorenac wrote:Have been out of touch with the Hand Mill Users Group if it still exists. The last time I accessed it was 8 or 9 years ago perhaps, but now I would like to get back into it with questions and to learn new ideas. I would appreciate it if someone can PM me the link.
Thanks
I’d love to have the link as well if possible.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

I probably should add that I don't know if it still works as the last post was a couple of years ago
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

Well so far I’ve not made any headway. If I figure it out I will post more info.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Ask Tom Morgan Rodsmiths (https://tommorganrodsmiths.com/).

Tim

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

I used to refer to it but found it difficult to navigate, so I just stopped using it. I have heard that Tom Morgan Rodsmith was to update it to a more user friendly format. I see that a MHM USER GROUP thread is already started here, just add to it with questions and answers, etc. Over time it will grow into a valable information sharing source.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

Yes I agree the old user group was awkward to navigate and that is probably why I sorta “abandoned “ it as well. Didn’t know there’s a user’s group here though.

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

dorenac wrote:
12/26/21 14:46
Yes I agree the old user group was awkward to navigate and that is probably why I sorta “abandoned “ it as well. Didn’t know there’s a user’s group here though.
Not a MHM users group here, just a thread. Would be nice if the admins could add a MHM users group to this forum, especially since it would be dedicated to bamboo (hint, hint). They might also be able to work something out with TMR to add the existing MHM users group archive.
Regards,
Lee
http://www.grayhacklerods.net
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm.
Patrick F. McManus

dorenac
Master Guide

Post by dorenac »

GrayHackleRods wrote:
12/26/21 15:52
dorenac wrote:
12/26/21 14:46

Not a MHM users group here, just a thread. Would be nice if the admins could add a MHM users group to this forum, especially since it would be dedicated to bamboo (hint, hint). They might also be able to work something out with TMR to add the existing MHM users group archive.
[/

That’s a great idea. Surprising it hasn’t already happened. There must be a fair number of MHM users here along with other interested members. And it might stimulate some sales for the Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, too.

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Thanks, I'll be participating...
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

fireman10
Sport

Post by fireman10 »

Ill also be participating....... for sure.

In fact,
Ive made 6-7 rods with my MHM and have found it to be very precise and I'm making a more uniform strip than before with the planing forms. So, I thought I would try a Penta. The strips were not as uniform, and I had some chip out. My question is should I have replaced the anvils with ones that had not been used for Hex prior. I'm assuming I did not have adequate support as the strips were wider, especially the tip strips. I felt like my preparation of nodes and straightening of strips was on par with the Hex rods I've made. Not sure what the problem was. Any ideas or maybe some suggestions to try.

Thank you, Kevin

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Kevin, you need to have the bamboo completely supported at final planing otherwise you’ll get tear out and feathering. In order to do that you need to dress the anvils. I have tip and butt anvils dedicated to each geometry (quad through hepta) and after each rod I dress off about .010 to .020. I now make my own anvils so the cost isn’t as much as buying them from TMR.
Regards,
Lee
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
Patrick F. McManus

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Rather than dressing my anvils often, I do something which helps with adequate support for tip strips. I set the taper so the tip of the strip is pretty much at the end of the anvil. I begin planing with the butt end of the strip at the back end of the anvil and plane until I have a considerable taper. Usually I move up a few inches and plane a bit more. The result is a roughed strip with quite a narrow end which has sufficient support for final planing. I then move the strip to the proper location on the anvil and finish planing. It does help that I make mostly 4-piece rods, so have a lot of room to move around on the anvil.

Tim

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

I have butt and tip anvils for some of rod style that I make, and I make Quads, Penta and Hex rods. This may sound a little overboard, but if I have to dress down an anvil, I only take the minimum if anything off the top. This process will make each anvil last for years. You never know what the future holds to get new anvils. Using this process, the anvils are just about set for the proper width and assures that I get as much support on the strip at final planing.

Here is some of them
Last edited by kermit on 12/27/21 17:27, edited 2 times in total.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

fireman10
Sport

Post by fireman10 »

Kermit, Thats exactly what I figured. Ive got a second set of anvils that haven't been trued yet. I will use these as my penta anvils. The feathering was the biggest problem. In the future I will order another set of anvils or two for back-ups. I've got two beds set now for finish butts and tips. I can just true the other set of anvils and use them for finish penta.

Thank you. More questions to come.

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Thank you to Titelines (Mark) for pinning this thread.
Hopefully it will help those with questions about the Morgan Hand Mill.
Scott

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

Re: MHM USERS GROUP - Making Anvils

Post by GrayHackleRods »

Making new anvils for the handmill.

Regards,
Lee
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
Patrick F. McManus

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

I dont' see the plastic anvil. You must be using the adjustable bed as a templete. What are you using for screw inserts?
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

GrayHackleRods
Master Guide

MHM USERS GROUP

Post by GrayHackleRods »

The HDPE bar is under the extension bed, originally thought about using the adjustable bed but the length would make it somewhat unmanageable. The inserts are from McMaster Carr.

Regards,
Lee
lee@grayhacklerods.net
Monument, CO
Patrick F. McManus

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”