MHM USERS GROUP

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

tommorganrodsmiths

Re: MHM USERS GROUP

Post by tommorganrodsmiths »

penta-spey wrote:
05/25/22 12:53
I do not see any link to a 'forum' or a 'support' page anywhere on the Morgan site.
Am i missing something?
Please feel free to reach us, or reach out to us, anytime on our contact us page on our website >> https://tommorganrodsmiths.com/pages/contact-us
We are always more than happy to assist how we can. Thanks for your continued support!

tommorganrodsmiths

penta-spey wrote:
10/05/23 06:37
If folks like the MHM long term users on this forum are noticing a lack of support from TMR and new prospective buyers read about that; do you think they might think twice about spending quite a bit of money buying a new MHM?

Do you think TMR realizes they need to support the existing MHM users and that will help new MHM sales and without support-> that will hurt new MHM sales?
We hope to continue to support and take care of both our long-time, or first-time customers for TMR. Please be assured the MHM and MHM parts are not going anywhere. We also hope to do a better job at responding to forum posts, questions, etc. Please also feel free to reach out us at TMR anytime - on our contact us page >> https://tommorganrodsmiths.com/pages/contact-us. Thanks for your continued support, and know you are a valued customer to us. Thanks again!

tommorganrodsmiths

BigTJ wrote:
01/24/24 19:42
Canewrap wrote:
10/04/23 08:47
I was just at that site and I am wondering if interest in the Handmill and support for it is dying? A lot of things are sold out at TMR and don't look like they are going to get replaced and at the TMR forum, until I just posted something, the last post seemed to be 6 months old. I'm retiring in a few years and planning on continuing to make rods, but now I'm wondering if I'll have to make do when things wear out or just give it up. Figures, I always seem to come in at the tail-end of things.
That’s why I bought 10 anvils and 40 cutter pairs 10 years ago. I’m set for life. And the stuff appreciates better than typical savings rates. If TMR goes out of business the prices will likely go up even further. So hard to lose. Best bet to stock up if you can. The cutters should always be available though.

John
rest assured - the TMR handmills & handmill parts are not going anywhere. We have a lot on order right now to be fulfilled come this March sometime. Cutter heads are part of that large/tall order for us. Thanks for your continued support, and we apologize for the delayed inventory of these parts, but please know they are coming. Thanks again!

tommorganrodsmiths

trland wrote:
03/08/22 15:06
I just signed up at the new MHM forum on the TMR website. Looks very nice. Not much activity yet but I'm hoping it becomes a good resource. It's on their web site under "Support" as Matt mentioned in Scott's post above.
We are going to try an be more involved in that forum, as we want to make sure questions, concerns, inquires, are being answered and responded to appropriately. We want to continued to be of help, and a great resource for our customers/users to turn to. Please also feel free to reach to us anytime at our contact us page on our website >> https://tommorganrodsmiths.com/pages/contact-us
Thanks again for your support of TMR!

tommorganrodsmiths

Canewrap wrote:
01/12/22 12:02
TMR Is listing a few of the accessories as sold out on their website and I am looking for an extra hold down arm for the front of the plane. Anyone have one they would be willing to sell me? I tried emailing TMR, but haven't received a reply.
Our cutter heads are on order currently...We expect these, as well as some handmill parts to arrive in-house sometime in March. Please keep a close eye on our website for these come mid/later March timeframe. Thanks for your support!

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

tommorganrodsmiths wrote:
02/26/24 13:59
We are going to try an be more involved in that forum, as we want to make sure questions, concerns, inquires, are being answered and responded to appropriately.
I quit looking at the MHM Forum long ago because of all of the "new" members who surely had nothing to do with cane rods. I just checked and they are still there, many from, for example, India with pictures of people who probably do not make rods.

Tim

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

tommorganrodsmiths wrote:
02/26/24 13:59
We are going to try an be more involved in that forum, as we want to make sure questions, concerns, inquires, are being answered and responded to appropriately. We want to continued to be of help, and a great resource for our customers/users to turn to. Please also feel free to reach to us anytime at our contact us page on our website >> https://tommorganrodsmiths.com/pages/contact-us
Thanks again for your support of TMR!
This totally makes my day. The MHM is a rod making treasure but without support/parts/etc its future is diminished ... Sooooo glad :) :) :)

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Something learned.
Sharpened the cutters on my Diamond plate and they were cutting the left side and barely the right. Switched them left to right and what a differece. Equal cuts both sides
This sharpening thing has quite a learning curve. I suspect that the cutters are not exactly the same depth so one edge contacts before the other. Think of the cutters like a low tire on one side where the car pulls towards the slack tire.

Still learning,

Don

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Note, I’m rough planning.

Don

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

This is good stuff Don thanks. It seems to me that the important factors to preventing squiggles are making sure that you have sharp cutters that are equally centered over the rail (right front to back gap between the rails) and not skewed in relation to each other. Also, having a long enough holddown foot (I use two of them) to help center the strip going into the cutters, as well as a wide enough top of the anvil to support the strip.

Don Andersen
Master Guide

Post by Don Andersen »

Straightening the strip so the grain is straight I find is critical.
And since I started to sharpen the cutters, I’ve removed the holddowns. If the strip starts to wander, I either straighten or now flip the cutters left to right.
Neat learning the idiosyncrasies of a new tool.

Don

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Any update on the backorder situation?
Scott

tommorganrodsmiths

Hello everyone!...Handmill parts that have been backordered have all recently been received this week in our shop. We are going through all the inventory and will be working on getting (almost) everything up on the website for purchase. I would be sure to keep an eye out on our website in the coming few days, as we believe a lot of parts will go fast.

M. J. Cummins

Post by M. J. Cummins »

This is good news. I'm sitting here in neutral with money in my hand.

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Not sure if anyone got the parts they needed.
When I see an item is sold out, not sure how/why you would order it. Out of stock would be a better choice than sold out.
Sounds like more confusion.
Let's start a list of what you are needing to order. Maybe TMR will take notice and get the inventory to fill orders.
Scott

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

WIHEXROD wrote:
04/15/24 19:48
Not sure if anyone got the parts they needed.
Nope its been disappointing .. and unfortunately for TMR; plan B for the 8 sided cutter head is now in effect, also kicking around the idea of making my own anvils; how hard can it be.

In the future and on the very remote chance I need to try and buy something from TMR again I WILL NOT do as "tommorganrodsmiths" suggests and watch the TMR website for required parts to (someday maybe if I'm lucky) appear there for my purchase <-forgive me if this sounds harsh but; what a strange idea that really appears to me to be now and for dedicated customers who have money in their pockets. If it were my business I'd have the customers contact me so I could understand exactly who needs what and how many. That way I can a) secure the orders for my business, b) meet customers needs and c) provide better support.

On the very remote chance I need to try and buy a part for the MHM in future I won't be wasting my time watching any websites in anticipation and I will phone/email/contact them and get my name on a list, have them take my order for the part.

Anyways,Too bad it happened this way, I truly hope things better and I wish them success in future efforts to restore confidence in the MHM product support.
Last edited by penta-spey on 04/17/24 10:01, edited 2 times in total.

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Well said penta-spey.
It is sad.
Scott

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

TMR is focusing and making an effort to improve MHM support.
MHM is a great tool.
I'd be sad if the sky was falling but its not.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”