Catskills Gathering 2022

The Forum to list all Gatherings and Shows

Moderators: czkid, Ken M 44

Ptownsend

Catskills Gathering 2022

Post by Ptownsend »

Happy Holidays to all.
If anyone wants to be included in the group emails for updates about the 2022 Catskills gathering please send your email address to catskillsrodmakers gathering@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Phil Townsend

Ptownsend

Re: Catskills Gathering 2022

Post by Ptownsend »

To correct above typo the email address is catskillrodmakersgathering@gmail.com
Sorry,

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Thanks Phil. As noted above, The 2022 Catskills Rodmakers Gathering will be held at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center. As in the past, the gathering will be held the weekend after the Labor Day holiday, which this year puts the event dates on the 9th, 10th and 11th of September. The committee will be meeting shortly to work out the many details that go into setting up the programs and logistics that go into making the event a success.
For now, I can report that the rod configuration selected for the Demarest design competition is a 9 foot 6 weight. The idea is to build what might be known as a lake rod, or perhaps a boat rod, designed for longer casts on larger waters where the possibility of hooking a larger fish exists. The rod should be 9 feet long +/- 1.00", the rod shaft made from Tonkin cane exclusively except for the ferrules, which can be of any material.
We are also specifying that there be a 1" minimum length butt extension, which is counted in the overall length, and can be either permanent or removable. We are suggesting, but not specifying that the reel seat be uplocking as a good practice to extend the butt extension a bit, and also suggesting a larger than normal stripping guide to aid in distance casting. We are leaving such things as weight, number of sections, etc. up to the designers.
Scoring will once again be based on a combination of distance casting, and accuracy targets, which will be set at distances out to 50 feet. The casters will set up the scoring in such a way as to make distance and accuracy count about equally.
Royal Wulff has agreed to make lines available to the entrants at a nominal cost. Each contestant will be offered a Wulff triangle taper floating line, which will be used in the accuracy competition, or a reel with line will be available for those not wishing to purchase a line. The distance event will be cast with a sinking triangle taper 6 weight line, which will be provided to the casters by the organizers.
We look forward to the year's gathering and offer the sincere hope that everyone is in good health, and hope that the difficulties of the last few years will be much reduced by September.

Ptownsend

Post by Ptownsend »

Hi Friends,It's getting closer by the day. The 2022 Catskills gathering is coming up quick. It promises to be a great time. WE will have Dave Fitch's delicious smoked dinner , lots of demonstrations and rods to cast. Mark your calendars, This year's gathering will be September 9, 10 and 11th. Can't wait to see you there. Some of the presentations we can look forward to are Morgan hand mill basics, Hollowing jigs, tips on planing and sharpening.There will be demonstrations from Tom Mason on fly tying and Tim Abbott on Reinforcing the Basics.  Chris Bogart will be showing a video he produced on Nodeless building.  A few new things on the agenda this year. There will be a casting area. Bring your rods to share with the group. There will be rod stands for anyone who is willing to share their work with the group to cast. The rods will be labeled for weight, taper and maker. A great chance to show your stuff and compare your rods to other makers. There will be a round table discussion about heat treating with a question and answer period. What an opportunity to pick the brains of some fantastic builders. The Demerest Challenge will return this year with a  9 foot 6 weight lake rod on the menu. Another new addition to the gathering is a show and tell table. Bring anything you want to share and a description on a card. The items will be placed in the Wulff gallery for all to see. Bring anything rod related. a tool, jig, fixture, anything you think will be of interest. Registration will be on the museum website. The cost this year is $120 this will include admittance food and a T-shirt. Registration will close on August 13. Anyone registering after the 13th will not get a shirt  or their name on the shirt and will have to eat leftovers. There will be some hats available for purchase during registration. The cost for the hats will be $25. If you want a hat be sure to register by August 13th. There should be a great turn out this year. It will be nice to see old friends and make new ones. 
Phil

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

For those who are entering a rod in the Demarest Challenge, please contact me either by PM here, or at tsmithwick (at) mac.com. I need to start ordering the lines and leaders, and an accurate count of entries will be needed. Looking forward to the event as always...

Tom Smithwick

Ptownsend

Post by Ptownsend »

Registration for the 2022 Catskills gathering is open!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2022-catsk ... rm=listing

Ptownsend

Post by Ptownsend »

Only a couple weeks left to register if you want a t-shirt or a hat. We have about 60 people registered so far. You dont want to miss it!

Ptownsend

Post by Ptownsend »

Big Logo Reveal!!!

Ptownsend

Post by Ptownsend »

Are you running low on culms? Dave Serafim anglersbambooco@gmail.com will be offering full bundles of 10 culms, prepaid. "If people want to split a bundle, that would be up to them. I will handle the payment process, so nobody has to worry about that. An order of 10 bundles is about the maximum anyone will want to deal with. I will bring a small amount of 6' culms that I will have already boxed and ready to go." Contact Dave by August 20th to get on the list.
See you soon,
Phil

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

I’d like to thank the organizers of the 2022 Catskill Rod Makers Gathering for making the event very educational and enjoyable. The food was fantastic, the breakout sessions were very educational, and by making casting the central theme you guys really provided an unbelievable opportunity to see and feel many high level rod-maker’s creations. By my count there were 90 registered attendees and with guests, workers, museum staff, etc there were easily over 100 people there. It’s no easy task to organize an event of that size and keep things running smoothly over three days!

I’d also like to thank all of the rod makers who allowed us to cast their rods — 40 some odd rods at one time on the racks! Letting unknown casters cast your rods takes a great deal of trust. Much appreciated!

And finally a big thank you to all the volunteer presenters who unselfishly shared information that took years to acquire. This is what makes rod makers a special group of people — so willing to share information to beginners and experienced rod makers alike. Just good people — knowledgeable, sociable, kind, generous, and fun. And last but not least —the home crafted beer was outstanding!

Thank you all for a great event,

Ron Scott

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I heartily echo Ron's comments. This was my first Gathering and it was a wonderful weekend! Many thanks to all of those who worked hard to make it a success!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

Thanks for the kind words guys. As someone who has been to every one of the gatherings at the Catskill Center, I can tell you that this gathering had the feel of a pre pandemic event with great fellowship, good natured ribbing , and great exchanges of information. I was also pleased to see the number of new faces in attendance. All of us from the "old guard" have recognized that if the gathering tradition is to continue, then the reins must be handed to younger people. That certainly happened this year, and I also extend my compliments to the organizers.
Support for the Demarest competition was record breaking, with 19 rods entered. It took the casters a day and a half to get through them all, which involves some real endurance with 9 foot 6 weights. The competition was won this year by Jim Downes, second place was a tie between Leo Lavallee and myself, third was also a tie between Munsey Wheby and Frank Payne. The scores were tightly grouped, reflecting a lot of thought and effort on design, which is what this competition is all about.
I am sorry to have to report this, but a bag of about 50 H L Leonard nickel silver butt caps disappeared from the vendor table of Classic Sporting Enterprises on Saturday. These were made by Bailey Woods some years ago, but were not quite up to his standards in that the Leonard logo was pressed in a bit too deep. I saw them that morning, and would not have noticed it myself. All of us who knew and respected Bailey for his contributions to rod making are very distressed by this. Steve Monroe, who has been running the company in a way that carries on Bailey's tradition is also quite upset, and rightly so.
I am asking that all of you who are rodmakers or collectors be aware of what happened, and if you see something suspiciously resembling these things being marketed, let Steve know ASAP. Steve has also offered that if the person now in possession has a change of heart, he would accept return on a no questions asked basis. Steve's contact information is:
Classic Sporting Enterprises, Inc
214 Higgins Lane
Barton, VT 05822
802 525 3623 shop phone
802 673 9711 cell phone
steve.monroessugarin@gmail.com

In all the years we have held this event, we have never had a thing like this happen, and we would like to see it resolved favorably.

Pterrano
Sport

Post by Pterrano »

Fun event, much larger turnout than last year! Enjoyed the speakers this year especially Art LeClair's net-making demo and Tim Abbot's tips and tricks.

Only suggestion I have would be to alot a time and place for people to put out their Demarest Competition rods for people to cast, if they chose to. I know I would really love to try out the other rods, there were so many interesting iterations.

Tom Smithwick
Master Guide

Post by Tom Smithwick »

As noted above, Steve Monroe of Classic Sporting Enterprises suffered the loss of a bag of H L Leonard reel seat end caps which “disappeared” from his booth at the Catskill Gathering. Many of us appreciate the contributions and support that this company has long provided to the rod making community, and are deeply disturbed by this turn of events. We have decided to take up a collection to try to compensate Steve for the financial loss involved. We are asking those who attended the event, and anyone else who who wants to assist CSE, to consider making a $10 dollar donation to the fund, or whatever amount you feel is comfortable for you to donate.
Contributions should be made by mailing a check to the Catskill Center:
Catskill Fly Fishing Center
1031 Old Route 17
Livingston Manor, NY 12758

On the note line of the check and on the envelope, please write "RG Donation” to avoid any confusion. The support of the Catskill Center’s management and staff for this effort is much appreciated.

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

Pterrano wrote:
09/14/22 08:48
Fun event, much larger turnout than last year! Enjoyed the speakers this year especially Art LeClair's net-making demo and Tim Abbot's tips and tricks.

Only suggestion I have would be to alot a time and place for people to put out their Demarest Competition rods for people to cast, if they chose to. I know I would really love to try out the other rods, there were so many interesting iterations.
If you or anyone interested would like to make suggestions and are on Facebook we have a Group set up for just that purpose:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/765102554754053

If the link doesn't get you there just search for:

Catskill Rod Makers Gathering -- Ideas for 2023

Thanks,

Ron

RScottFlyRods
Sport

Post by RScottFlyRods »

Tom Smithwick wrote:
09/13/22 08:28
The competition was won this year by Jim Downes, second place was a tie between Leo Lavallee and myself, third was also a tie between Munsey Wheby and Frank Payne.
No big deal but just to keep the record straight. Leo Lavallee's rod was made by me, Ron Scott. I gave Leo (Butch) the rod as a thankyou for helping me in the shop for one year.

Looking forward to year's event. Thanks again for a fantastic gathering!

-Ron

Return to “Gatherings and Shows”