Leonard model 86 info please?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

kakaryan
Guide

Leonard model 86 info please?

Post by kakaryan »

Got offered a Leonard, hang tag says 9 feet, 6 7/8oz, No. 86 Sal D.F.

Owner suggested it would be an 7~9wt rod.

I tried to look it up and from the catalog I found online (link below), I found an 86SDF model under the Salmon Dry Fly rod section but the spec are a bit different, which says 7 1/4 ~ 7 5/8oz, recommended line WF10F.

Could there be different 86 made in different era, and any info about the (6 7/8oz, No. 86 Sal D.F.) ?

Thanks

https://pdf4pro.com/amp/cdn/hiram-luis- ... 5028d7.pdf

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leonard model 86 info please?

Post by Short Tip »

That's a big gun! I happen to have the '58 Mills catalog here, it lists the rod as 7 to 8 oz. Your catalog is post-fire, a rod with a tag is most likely pre-fire.

A lot of the rods from Leonard and other makers gained weight over the years, just like me. So the subject rod is likely a bit earlier. Either way, it's unlikely to be a 7 weight, IMHO. 8-9 weight seems more likely.

That's all I got. Cool rod.

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Short Tip wrote:
12/28/21 15:31
That's a big gun! I happen to have the '58 Mills catalog here, it lists the rod as 7 to 8 oz. Your catalog is post-fire, a rod with a tag is most likely pre-fire.

A lot of the rods from Leonard and other makers gained weight over the years, just like me. So the subject rod is likely a bit earlier. Either way, it's unlikely to be a 7 weight, IMHO. 8-9 weight seems more likely.

That's all I got. Cool rod.
Hi thanks for your info.

Do you mean the earlier tags used to list lower weight than the rod actually weighs so the rod actually weighs 7~8oz? Or they did make the rods heavier at the later years?

Would you think this rod is too big/heavy for a Bogdan 00 or maybe balance just fine?

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

kakaryan wrote:
12/29/21 12:24

Hi thanks for your info.

Do you mean the earlier tags used to list lower weight than the rod actually weighs so the rod actually weighs 7~8oz? Or they did make the rods heavier at the later years?

Would you think this rod is too big/heavy for a Bogdan 00 or maybe balance just fine?
I mean that the rods got heavier (and actions faster) as time went on. Your rod is probably a slightly earlier version.

I'm not sure about the Bogdan reel balance but it would be a pretty combination.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”