Orvis 6 1/2' Deluxe variations

The exchange of tapers forum is for classic and personally developed tapers. The definition of classic tapers are those tapers that were developed by rodmakers that are no longer alive. Please understand that rod makers who have developed their tapers, and are active in the community, should not have their tapers cloned, or shared, without their permission, please refrain for asking for those tapers as it infringes on the maker.

Moderator: pvansch1

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Orvis 6 1/2' Deluxe variations

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I don't really know where to post this, but this seems like the best place. We know that Orvis changed the taper of the 6 1/2' Deluxe/Superfine/Battenkill/Fly and Spin over time. The catalogs list the 1958 Deluxe at a nominal weight of 2 oz, the 1963 lists it with a nominal weight of 2 1/8 oz, then it goes to 2 1/4 oz in 1964.

I recently purchased a 1958 Deluxe and a 1963 Deluxe and already had a 1967 Deluxe Fly and Spin so I decided to take measurements to see if they are indeed different tapers. I'm not a rod builder and don't claim to understand these numbers, but I'll post them here for comment. To throw more oil into the ointment, the person who sold me the Deluxe's has a 3rd Deluxe with a s/n putting it as a 1965 build and the label states 2 1/8 oz! The labels on my rods correspond to the weights listed in the catalogs.

For those who have Deluxe's it would be interesting to see if your listed rod weight corresponds to the cataloged weight.

The weights of my rods are 2.1 oz/1958. 2.3 oz/1963. I suspect that the different guides may account for some of that difference.

Of course, I am not the original owner of any of these rods, so I can't state as a fact that any of the tips are the ones that originally came with the rods.

Happy Holidays,
Joe

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis 6 1/2' Deluxe variations

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thanks for posting this Joe. I suppose I should mic my rods to compare.

The only rod weight that matters is the cataloged weight. The weights on the labels were infrequently mis-marked.

The new Deluxe rods look good...

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Should I assume the units in the table are micro furlongs?

Joking of course, I think they are mm, but would be nice to confirm.

Thanks,

-John

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Ah, yes I can see why there might be some confusion. Inches in the left column and 1/10" in the others.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

It would be considerate to repost the table with the zero added in, nobody ever uses 1/10 inches for rod tapers. I suspect you just got mixed up on the decimal places when you made the table.

Return to “Taper Exchange”