Mills Standard Help Please

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

red 1
Master Guide

Mills Standard Help Please

Post by red 1 »

Picked up a 9.5’ from a online auction. Had to clean up the Ferrules quite a bit. It looks like a nice rod but am hoping someone with a catalog can give me some info on the model # and if it compares to a Leonard model.
The rod has 11/17 ferrules, weighs 5 1/8 oz, has a pat 8-3-15 on the tip tops. ( One is a replacement no pat date. That tip is 1/2” short.) has intermediate wraps, tight ferrules- solid pop, tips are .085 ish thousands, nice looking cane and cork. Cork has been cleaned narrow 3/8 ? Cork no ridging. Only odd thing is the reel seat is completely round. No spot leveled? For the reel foot. Is this normal for Mills Standard’s? No pat dates on the ferrules. I expected to see them because they were on the tip tops.
Thanks in advance for any info on model #. I have not had a chance to put a line on it but assembled and gave it a good wiggle. Rod flexes way down almost (kinda) to the cork.

I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

sweetnut
Sport

Re: Mills Standard Help Please

Post by sweetnut »

Hi,
Ive got a similar Mills Standard 9', 4 weight, very fine tips. The wraps look identical, no pat date on the ferrules, only the tips, and the reel seat is fully round.
Ron

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Thanks Ron.

Bill Charles
Master Guide

Post by Bill Charles »

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Super helpful Bill. Thanks!

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”