help identifying some bamboo rods

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

zigger

help identifying some bamboo rods

Post by zigger »

Hi All, i posted a question on this topic almost 2 years ago, and then had a lot of downtime with Covid and re-modeling the house.

Trying to find more information on these 4 bamboo rods, 3 labeled D.C.S. and one labeled D. C. Sprung, like someone's initials and last name.

Wife inherited these from a deceased uncle that lived in Edmond, OK and later in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. I don't fish bamboo so can't tell how these cast, but know that he used them regularly. They are in a variety of sizes as described and pictured below. 3 of the rods are in one green fabric case (with a leather patch sewn on that has a buffalo head logo on it and some inscrutable wording below the buffalo), the fourth is in a metal tube.

1. 7' 3/4 wt, made in 2/1994, with spare tip, red wraps, labeled D.C. Sprung
2. 7'6" 5 wt, made in 3/1988, with spare tip, green wraps, labeled d.c.s.
3. 7'9" 6/7 wt, made in 1988, with spare tip, red wraps, labeled d.c.s., steel tube
4. 8', 6 wt, made in 1/1994, NO spare tip, red wraps, labeled D.C. Sprung

the 7' made in '94 has an all-cork grip with integrated seat. The 8' from '94 has a half cork/half hardwood seat, which i've not seen before (admittedly i'm a novice here). is that a clue? Anyone know a rod-maker that did this technique?

The 7'6"-5 wt from '88 has a hardwood seat with a slip on reel attachment, the 7'9"-6/7 from 88 has a hardwood seat with a threaded aluminum reel attachment.

The strippers on each rod are similar but not something i've seen before (as above, i'm a neophyte here). anyone recognize these strippers as being odd/unusual?

I've attached pictures for each with labels. i'd be very interested if anyone has thoughts on who might have made these rods. It appears to me that they were made for a D. C. Sprung, maybe someone knows that person. I've tried Google with no success. thanks in advance.

mike, los alamos, nm

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: help identifying some bamboo rods

Post by wrong66 »

Maybe Leo Eck from Arkansas. Just a guess, though, as I think he signed his rods.

CMcDowell
Guide

Re: help identifying some bamboo rods

Post by CMcDowell »

I don't recognize the name D.C. Sprung, but I imagine there were, and still are, many builders who made/make a relatively small number of rods for themselves, family, or friends. The cork and wood reel seat you asked about, as well as the pocketed butt cap and ring hardware, is indicative of Everett Garrison's style. Also, the grip shape on that particular rod is Garrison style. The 1988 and 1994 build dates would be consistent with Garrison's influence on budding rod makers of that era. Garrison/Carmichael's book, A Master's Guide to Building a Bamboo Fly Rod, was published in 1977.
D.C. Sprung, may have been following the book's guidance in making bamboo rods and might have utilized these characteristics in his own rods.

I noticed the male ferrules have no tabs or thinned transition areas typically found on nickel-silver ferrules commonly used on contemporary bamboo rods, which may mean the ferrules were scavenged from older bamboo production rods, or may have been old stock. I can't be sure without a closer look and photos of the female ferrules.

Not much help, but some speculation. Hopefully someone will know who the builder is/was and can help you.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”