Phillipson Power Pakt

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Fishngolfnut

Phillipson Power Pakt

Post by Fishngolfnut »

I have inherited a new unused Phillipson Power Pakt fly rod from a friend. The only markings on the rod are the rod maker name and the numbers 68, it is a three section 9 foot rod with two top sections. It has a butter scotch colored real seat and it doesn’t appear it has ever had a real put on it. All of the sections are straight and the same length. Does anyone here know when this rod was made? It came with the original sock and the aluminum rod tube. The rod tube has some wear but the rest of it looks like it’s never been outside. The research I have done on the Internet suggests this rod was made in 1947. What exactly do I have? No intention of selling or using. Thanks for any info you can give.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Phillipson Power Pakt

Post by crowebeetle »

Looks great, I'm sure others will chime in. 68 is the number of the inspector of the rod.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I believe that the reel seat is one of their earliest. Great looking rod from what you are sharing.

archer829
Guide

Post by archer829 »

Great rod! I've got a very similar 7.5' version of it. Here's a link with some more info:

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=139194

finecane
Sport

Post by finecane »

Your Power Pakt is likely from 1949. The very first PP's had black plastic reel seats. The 1949 catalog lists them with brown plastic reel seats with anodized metal threads (like yours). Then in 1950, they went to the all aluminum brown anodized reel seat.

Hope that helps.

https://www.finecane.com

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

If your rod has 5 5/8 oz. printed on a flat it is likely to be a strong 6 weight. I have that taper in an "Ed M. Hunter Approved" trade rod which has stayed with me while a number of other "nicer" 6 weight rods have come and gone.

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

It is kind of a shame that you won't be using it or selling it, but simply letting it sit. It is a very nice rod, and if unused I can understand possibly wanting to keep it that way if you are a collector. Anyway, congratulations on inheriting the rod. Phillipsons have always been my favorite affordable mass produced rods, and many that I have owned I wish I still had. But there are lots of them out there, so someday I will probably acquire a few of the models that I sold in the past.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”